Thread: Can we get rid of crossovers in amps?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Can we get rid of crossovers in amps?

Anybody here with amp manufacturing knowledge? I'm curious if removing crossovers from amplifiers would drop the cost much.

When I first got into this, an outboard crossover was a must. With DSP's becoming more affordable and more popular, would dropping the crossover and going back to a simple amplifier be something we might see?
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Can we get rid of crossovers in amps?

Sadly I think we're just a small fraction of a percent of the car audio group. The only way I can see this happening is in flagship amps like what Zapco did with the AP line. Then those are out of most people's budget. Personally I don't think I've used the onboard crossover in an amp in my own vehicle in probably 15 years at least. And onboard crossovers that can't be switched to "full" automatically knock otherwise good amp candidates off the list.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

It wouldn't lower the price of the amplifiers by much, if any.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I'm with you guys on this one although I wonder just how much if any it actually affects the sound. I will often max out the HP for an amplifier running tweeters as sort of a safety for the tweeter in case the DSP decides to not do its job. For example I have the HP on my DLS amp maxed at 500 hz running the tweeters.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Sadly I think we're just a small fraction of a percent of the car audio group. The only way I can see this happening is in flagship amps like what Zapco did with the AP line. Then those are out of most people's budget. Personally I don't think I've used the onboard crossover in an amp in my own vehicle in probably 15 years at least. And onboard crossovers that can't be switched to "full" automatically knock otherwise good amp candidates off the list.
    It's funny you mention that. When considering amps for my install, I had it down to either the JL Audio XD600/6v2 or the AudioControl LC-6.1200. I could actually get the AudioControl for less $$ (and it's basically twice the power), but the fact that all of it's crossovers weren't "defeatable" was one of the main reasons why I went with the JL Audio. Why in the world would then make it so you can't defeat the crossovers?? I just didn't understand that on an amp that was otherwise uber-configurable...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    It's funny you mention that. When considering amps for my install, I had it down to either the JL Audio XD600/6v2 or the AudioControl LC-6.1200. I could actually get the AudioControl for less $$ (and it's basically twice the power), but the fact that all of it's crossovers weren't "defeatable" was one of the main reasons why I went with the JL Audio. Why in the world would then make it so you can't defeat the crossovers?? I just didn't understand that on an amp that was otherwise uber-configurable...
    That's the main reason I sold my JL RD900/5 because of the undefeatable crossovers and it was running midbass so it got extra tricky. I really like the sound of the JL XD. Great control of the speakers.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Even more ironic. If you want amps with no crossovers, then you pay a premium for audiophile amp like Zapco AP