Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuning a 2 way component set?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    barry Louis Frasier
    Vehicle
    2016 ford f150 xlt

tuning a 2 way component set?

im deciding what im going to install in my 2016 ford f150 xlt,im pretty set on Dynaudio components, but am unsure if I want 2 way or 3 way components, the mids are placed higher up in the doors like mid way in the front and the tweeters are in the a pillars, would it be easier to tune a 2 way seeing that the mids are closer to the tweeters or will it be better sound quality wise with a 3 way?I hope this makes sense,

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: tuning a 2 way component set?

Well, with equal attention to detail in install the 3-way should be easier to tune than the 2-way because with 3-way the speaker pairs will be more in their "happy" zone. For the sake of learning and ease of installation though I'd start with 2-way and get good at tuning that. If you can get your fronts dialed in properly with crossover point right in the most sensitive area to the ears (2000hz range) you should be able to tune just about anything at lease decent enough after that. Make sure you attend car audio gatherings centered around sound quality if you haven't already. And have a good reference setup whether it be with good headphones or a good 2ch home setup. Plenty of online tutorials for tuning. I used Kyle Ragsdale's video's on youtube and they clicked for me making things easy. Oh, do you have a measurement mic to use with an rta for tuning?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Just realized you're Lou Frasier from that other place so not really a n00b to all this so to speak.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    barry Louis Frasier
    Vehicle
    2016 ford f150 xlt

I do not but it is in my plan to get one, I am gathering all the information I need before making any purchases, once I have finalized my plans' will start ordering than installing, i appreciate your help, thank you

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Which Dyns do you plan on going with? I've heard several great sounding cars with them but mostly from the Esotar/Esotar 2 line.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    barry Louis Frasier
    Vehicle
    2016 ford f150 xlt

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Just realized you're Lou Frasier from that other place so not really a n00b to all this so to speak.
    haha no sir, but I like to refresh my brain seeing that I dont always do well retaining information unless I keep reading over things, that other place is strange now, i can tune fairly well from a non competing standpoint, meaning I understand the process pretty well

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Well, as long as you're happy with the tune and it's fundamentally "close enough" in staging that's all that mattersTell ya what though, I accomplished more my first hour using an rta than I did YEARS of trying to tune by ear. If you've never used an rta prepare to get your mind blown.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    barry Louis Frasier
    Vehicle
    2016 ford f150 xlt

Well, as long as you're happy with the tune and it's fundamentally "close enough" in staging that's all that mattersTell ya what though, I accomplished more my first hour using an rta than I did YEARS of trying to tune by ear. If you've never used an rta prepare to get your mind blown.
    thats my plan, gonna rta it and go from there

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    barry Louis Frasier
    Vehicle
    2016 ford f150 xlt

Which Dyns do you plan on going with? I've heard several great sounding cars with them but mostly from the Esotar/Esotar 2 line.
    im gonna go with the esotans

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    im gonna go with the esotans
    I've been really curious about how those speakers sound. They are at a super competitive price point. I would love to know your thoughts after the install.

Just get an RTA like mentioned above. Tuning is by no means rocket science like everyone makes it seem. Just a lot of trial and error and seeing what works for you.