Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade help/thoughts

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Upgrade help/thoughts

Currently 1000nok is around 112USD, so those little puppies costs roughly 449,43$
    Would they really be worth it?

2. Back To Top    #22
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

The Helix set is about 300 usd, according to google. I agree with Smitty about the lack of midbass with a smaller driver. You'll want to make sure to seal up all the big holes in the inner door skin to get the most midbass out of whichever speaker you use.

3. Back To Top    #23

Hmm.. The Helix are a German brand, but hey, I drive a german car with italian rims and french tires, so I'm not gonna say anything bad about the french in that regard. They do sometimes come through on things that are not wine and cheese, that's for sure.

Edit: Wow, the Focal PS130F goes for 530$ according to crutchfield, while they go locally here for 315$

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Well, only you can decide if it's worth it. I was simply looking for the best performing 130mm on that site. As papacueball said, you are already going to have to work hard for the mid-bass.
    Meh, it'll play.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

6. Back To Top    #26

I actually think that I'm going to go try out the Helix P 52C set later today. Seeing as the local store is kind enough to offer a 14 day customer satisfaction guarantee. Will probably pick up some sound deadening stuff for the car while I'm at it. Should probably have started with it, but hey, failure is the best teacher I've heard and experienced.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Considering you say you want more mid bass and that you want more sound coming from the front, i think you need to get rid of the rears and use the money for up front.

Your problem is you can only fit up to 5.25 up front. So no matter what you try, your mid bass will always dominate from the rear where you can fit larger than 5.25. You just are not going to get the impact you want from 5.25. It is rough getting it with 6.5.

I'd consider a 3 way. Use your stock tweeter and stock doors for a 3-4 inch. Then install a 6.5 to 8 in kick panel or under seats (kicks being better solution)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #28

Spoke to a guy at an audioshop earlier today, and we figured that I should at least start with doing something in the front.

6.5" rear shelf has been taken out and I'm currently installing a set of Focal PS130F, so then I'm running those and a couple of 5.25" coaxial cheapskate ground zero in the rear doors. And of course the 12" sub in the back.

I'll keep you guys updated if they suit my need!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191227_213613.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	8540

9. Back To Top    #29

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    Considering you say you want more mid bass and that you want more sound coming from the front, i think you need to get rid of the rears and use the money for up front.

Your problem is you can only fit up to 5.25 up front. So no matter what you try, your mid bass will always dominate from the rear where you can fit larger than 5.25. You just are not going to get the impact you want from 5.25. It is rough getting it with 6.5.

I'd consider a 3 way. Use your stock tweeter and stock doors for a 3-4 inch. Then install a 6.5 to 8 in kick panel or under seats (kicks being better solution)
    Where would you cross over the 6.5 or 8"?

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    Where would you cross over the 6.5 or 8"?
    For me it would depend on where they were located. If I had 8's up front, I wouldn't be opposed to going fairly high in a mid bass application. If they are in the rear, it depends on how much you care about staging/imaging. Many people don't care for the sound to be imbalanced as in one section of frequencies coming from up front while the others seem to come from the rear. In the rear, I personally only use subs and don't go above 80hz.
    Meh, it'll play.