Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade help/thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking Upgrade help/thoughts

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing some upgrades to my speaker system in my car.
    Audi A4 1997 Sedan.
    Currently there is 2x4" 50w RMS 4 ohm from Ground Zero, GZIF4001FX, hooked to my HU, Pioneer AVH-A3100DAB.
    Probably obvious to most of you they're not actually even noticeable to anyone that they're even there.
    In the rear doors there are 2x5.25" 60w RMS and 4ohm Ground Zero speakers, GZIF5201FX, and in the rear shelf 2x6.5" 80w RMS 4ohm Ground zero, GZIF65X speakers.
    Both pairs in the rear are hooked up to a JVC KS-AX6500 4 channel amp. https://www.cnet.com/products/jvc-ks...car-amplifier/
    The rears worked, for a while, then the outer foam separated on the 6.5" speakers, haven't checked the rest. So I want something else.

I'm thinking of going to 5.25" in the front doors and 6.5" in both the rear doors and the shelf. And I have my eyes on some Swedish speakers probably unheard of to most of you.
    The 6.5" are two way component with 1" discant sets 4ohm resistance and 125w RMS of a brand called GAS. And the 5.25 are again a pair of GAS two way component speakers with separate discants, 4ohms and 100w RMS, sensitivity at 92 and 91Db in the same order.

Kind of thinking about reusing my JVC amp since it's in perfect working condition, bridge the four channels into two and connecting all six speakers in a series-parallel configuration to keep the 4ohm load(?) and spread the roughly 140w x2 RMS coming out of it into three speakers to get the most of it out of it?

What do you guys think? Alternatives, preferably budget-ish. Pleased to hear from you all!
    Last edited by hurrdurrhumlesnurr; 12-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Upgrade help/thoughts

Audiofrog , either GB's or GS series !

3. Back To Top    #3

What is it you not like about the current speaker's sound?
    what (or how) would make it sound better or different?

4. Back To Top    #4

I want a lot more life mid-range in my system because right now I kind of feel that I only have very high and very low range in my system, the high end is way too much and the down low is also way too much considering that there is nothing in the middle.

I would also very much like to get more sound in the front of the car since currently all of the music comes from behind the front seats.

But would my idea of hooking up speakers my suggested way work in any way, sharing 140w RMS power across three speakers times two even it out more?
    Should I get another 4ch amp more suited to the four rear and switch them out with 4x6.5" midrange speakers, and keep my current 4ch and use it to power up the front speakers?

Or is there any other recommendations for what I want to get out of it?

Subwoofer setup is btw one Apocalypse DB-SA2712D1 hooked up to an Audison LRX 1.1K amp at 2ohm load for 800w RMS power in a prefab JBL box which I'm thinking of going closed wheel-well fiberglass enclosure, but that's for a later date.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

hurrdurrhumlesnurr,

I don't need to tell you , system is all wrong.

2 tweets ~ silk dome , 2 midrange , 2 midbass and 1 sub .

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, so by my thinking then, going for 4 speakers with two tweets instead of my current 6 speaker all of which are two way coaxial setup.
    The tweets and midrange in front doors and 2 midbass in the rear doors, or am I wrong and they would do better in the rear shelf?

I had a probably very stupid moment when I first set this up thinking more is better, but that isn't always the point of course.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

It is worth a shot to sell the co-ax and go with a coupla tweets , two midranges ( 6.5" , 6.75" ) and you have a sub.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

I would use network mode on the head unit and jvc amp on front mids and tweets. If you can squeeze 6.5's in front will be better than 5.25. Setting up crossovers and time alignment are on pg 42 of manual. https://catalogs.pioneer-car.eu/Manu...anual/?page=42

I don't use rear speakers. I don't say rear fill can't be done, just never heard one that didn't draw stage back or give odd cues. If you insist on rears, put better gear and more power up front.

w/o knowing car or those speakers we are hamstrung on giving better advice.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I agree with SublimeZ. I had a 1997 GMC Sonoma. I did a 3-way front with subwoofer. I had 6.5" mid-bass in the doors from a component set. I had 4.5" coaxials in the dash which were from the same speaker family and worked with the 3-way passive crossover. It sounded great and I didn't need rear fill.

You said budget-ish. What kind of price range are you looking at?

I just looked up your car. The drop in size for the door is 4" but there were some custom installs with 6.5" in the door. Are you able to do some fab work?
    Last edited by Smitty; 12-26-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    Meh, it'll play.

10. Back To Top    #10

The car I'm running now is a 1997 Audi A4 Sedan, came originally with 4" front mids with 1" tweeter and 6.5" midbass and 1" tweeter in the same unit in the rear shelf, but separate from each other.
    Since then the rear door panels have been changed out and had 5.25" speakers in them.

It's easily no heavy-modding required to get 5.25" in the front and 1" tweet, 6.5" in the rear door panels and 6.5" in the rear shelf. That is what I have to work with.
    And my current budget is max about 450usd including shipping and tolls of about 25% if I buy from out of country. So I'm currently browsing national sites but it's not that much to work with there.