Thread: OEM Speaker wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Question OEM Speaker wiring

Hello all. I recently purchased a 1995 GMC S15 Jimmy (4-door) with OEM stereo and speakers. I am in the process of replacing all the Delco components with aftermarket audio. The OEM speaker wiring has me confused though. There are 6.5" speakers in all four doors with small tweeters front left/right in the dash. The front and rear door speakers on each side share the same colored speaker wire, brown and yellow on left and light blue and dark blue on right. Why would GM use the same wires for both front and rear speakers? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Re: OEM Speaker wiring

It's like that because, on the standard cab and possibly even the extended cab S-10/Sonoma, the dash is the front speaker and the door is the rear speaker. When they built the Blazer/Jimmy, they probably just used the same front door harnesses they were using on the trucks to save money.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by remington7 View Post
    There are 6.5" speakers in all four doors with small tweeters front left/right in the dash.
    What brand are you replacing them with ? ( Going to replace all 4 door speakers and tweeters ?)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    What brand are you replacing them with ? ( Going to replace all 4 door speakers and tweeters ?)
    I'm going with a Pioneer 50w x 4 channel receiver and JBL 6 1/2's in all four doors. Tweeters will be disconnected.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    It's like that because, on the standard cab and possibly even the extended cab S-10/Sonoma, the dash is the front speaker and the door is the rear speaker. When they built the Blazer/Jimmy, they probably just used the same front door harnesses they were using on the trucks to save money.
    So the four door speakers are on the same channels? Won't that overload the internal receiver amp driving six speakers through 4 channels?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

If you can fade from front to rear , see if only tweeters are playing ( or fade opposite way and see if only the other 4 play )?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by remington7 View Post
    So the four door speakers are on the same channels? Won't that overload the internal receiver amp driving six speakers through 4 channels?
    The dash and the front doors are on the same set of wires, the rear doors are on a different set of wires. The wiring inside the front doors is just the same color as the rear doors because of how they built the vehicle, but they aren't connected to each other.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    The dash and the front doors are on the same set of wires, the rear doors are on a different set of wires. The wiring inside the front doors is just the same color as the rear doors because of how they built the vehicle, but they aren't connected to each other.
    Thanks. That's what I was wondering. So now I just have to chase down the wiring to the rear doors to figure out why the speakers aren't getting power. I'm just confused as to why both speakers have no sound as they are new with good solid connections at the doors.