Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to observe your workflow when designing an enclosure, choosing a woofer...

1. Back To Top    #1
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Post I want to observe your workflow when designing an enclosure, choosing a woofer...

In the past I have asked for help with projects and the results have been stellar. I asked for help to measure some popular speakers and wrote a report that was very informative. I asked for donations of materials to test a common rule of thumb with sound treatments and the result was incredible.

I want to try something new.
    I need your help again.

What is this?

I want to observe your workflow and thought process when you simulate or model anything such as: design a completed speaker, an enclosure, a passive crossover, research which woofers to use in a box, plan how many watts you need in an amplifier, and so on. I'm interested in what software you use, how you use it, and why you prefer it. I'm also interested in what software you avoid using and why, and what software you would like to use if you could afford it and why. This does not have to be a new simulation or modeling project. You could also recreate how you approached a recent project.

TO BE CLEAR: I am not asking for you to write out all of your thoughts here. I do not want to read. Reading is actually counter-productive to what I want to accomplish here. I want to observe in real-time.

How?
    I would like a screen share while you work and a phone call so we can talk. I would like to record both so I can review them later.

When?
    Any weekend or any weekday evening, mountain time. The session will be one hour.

Why?
    I want to make designing acoustic projects more intuitive, faster, and higher quality.

What level of experience am I looking for?
    Everyone and all skill levels. I want to see the workflow of a professional that is designing things every week. I want to see how an enthusiast approaches a problem a few times a year. I want to watch someone who tried to model a sub enclosure one time but didn't get very far and gave up. I want to see how you organize your thoughts and how you take notes. I want to know where you struggle and where you thrive in the creative process no matter who you are.

Why should you help?
    I can simply give you money or offer my expertise with something you would like to learn. I want this exchange to feel valuable to you too.

Are you interested?
    Please ask questions below. Please spread the word.
    If you want to get started right away, please send me an email
    (my email address is my first and last name like this: justinza***@gmail.com)
    Last edited by Justin Zazzi; 12-27-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: adding email address
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: I want to observe your workflow when designing an enclosure, choosing a woofer...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Why?
    I want to make designing acoustic projects more intuitive, faster, and higher quality.
    The intuitiveness comes after repeatedly doing it ?
    I want to watch someone who tried to model a sub enclosure one time but didn't get very far and gave up. I want to know where you struggle and where you thrive in the creative process no matter who you are.
    Understanding T/S parameters allowed me to design an enclosure for a MB Quart RWC , 12" sub. The design was to be an aid , visually , for selling subs , ported & sealed .
    I used WinISD designed box and drew pic ( 3 yrs of drafting in H.S. ). Then I sent design to MrMarv and he built it out of 1" HDF. Upon receiving it , applied polyurethane inside -n- out .

My eldest boy has it.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: I want to observe your workflow when designing an enclosure, choosing a woofer...

I may not be the right guy for your focus group, but I feel there is no program yet that justifies a 3 digit price tag for a casual user. I would be much more interested in a web site that charged per design. If the program allowed me to construct a 3d box with building prints (like subbox.pro online)as well as generated an accurate response graph for my specific box with its specific parameters (like winisd), I would pay per use, instead of owning it.

If it came with a "wizard" style step by step for the novice and casual user. That could cover things like TS parameter inputs & woofer measurements as well as box tuning, port size and bracing/speaker displacement. Or be able to manually input those for a more advanced user. It would be an interesting new product.

As long as I could build "crazy" and "simple" boxes with reasonably predicted results, I would be happy to pay $20-50 per box design. I've heard the termlab pro software is fairly solid in these regards, but I don't think I could justify $250. It doubles or even triples the cost (of the first box) right off the bat - but if I could get a solid - self built set of blue prints from a reliable website, I'd be game.

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck with your project.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

I use a few different softwares for enclosure calculating. Usually I start with very simple JBL SpeakerShop software...I like it because it is simple to use and it is pretty accurate. When I have calc done I usually check and mode it in WinISD and BassBox pro 6,0.
    I ususally look for smoothest impedance curve, smooth freq. responce with small peak at 40Hz for daily use, then I compare acoustic power graphs, impedance graphs, different tunnings, simulations with X-Over engaged, different damping quantity, if ported enclosure I check for air speed trough the port and Group delay. Then I get back to SpeakerShop and design enclosure size based on calculated optimum volume with all subtract volumes like driver displacement, port displacement, brace displacement,....I usually design enclosure walls in Golden rathio 062:1:1,62.
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by LBaudio View Post
    I usually design enclosure walls in Golden rathio 062:1:1,62.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    I may not be the right guy for your focus group, but I feel there is no program yet that justifies a 3 digit price tag for a casual user. I would be much more interested in a web site that charged per design. If the program allowed me to construct a 3d box with building prints (like subbox.pro online)as well as generated an accurate response graph for my specific box with its specific parameters (like winisd), I would pay per use, instead of owning it.

If it came with a "wizard" style step by step for the novice and casual user. That could cover things like TS parameter inputs & woofer measurements as well as box tuning, port size and bracing/speaker displacement. Or be able to manually input those for a more advanced user. It would be an interesting new product.

As long as I could build "crazy" and "simple" boxes with reasonably predicted results, I would be happy to pay $20-50 per box design. I've heard the termlab pro software is fairly solid in these regards, but I don't think I could justify $250. It doubles or even triples the cost (of the first box) right off the bat - but if I could get a solid - self built set of blue prints from a reliable website, I'd be game.

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck with your project.

How many sub enclosures have you built/used over the years?

At $50 per design it doesn't take many to benefit from buy the software. As an added bonus you can model different subs/enclosures and compare them.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own some killer software to play around with. But I have built exactly two boxes over the last 3+ years and one of them was a simple sealed box for a single 12. Personally, my subs and boxes tend to marry each other for life, it's super rare that I switch a box, considering they were specifically designed for each speaker and application. I would have to build more boxes to justify the cost, not just design for the fun of it. $50 per is the high point of the cost, but you make a good point - long run is probably better to buy the program.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    In the past...
    Are you interested?
    Please ask questions below. Please spread the word.
    If you want to get started right away, please send me an email
    Ok I am interested... PM me an email.

As the Mrs is away for a few days in Jan maybe I can get a start on some tuning.
    (but I am also a bit time poor, and slow.)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I just finished the session with Justin. Very cool experience and I got to pick his brain when we were done. It was nice to have some of my questions about gear and driver specs/performance clarified.

You don't have to get dolled up and be on camera. You just need a microphone and a computer. We used a screen mirror app and talked like a speaker phone where he could see what I had on my screen. I just explained how I get data for a speaker or two and how I use my programs to solve a problem or predict things about my system.
    Meh, it'll play.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    Ok I am interested... PM me an email.

As the Mrs is away for a few days in Jan maybe I can get a start on some tuning.
    (but I am also a bit time poor, and slow.)
    oops, I thought I posted my email address above. It is my first and last name ... like justinza***@gmail.com
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.