Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Amp Impedence Question - SI BM MKIV / XDI 1100.1

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Newbie Amp Impedence Question - SI BM MKIV / XDI 1100.1

I am guessing with the dsp.3 putting out 6v leaving the gain all the way down might not be enough if you are really concerned.
    I would just leave the gain all the way down on the amp and turn the output down on the dsp.3. Set it for the proper voltage for whatever power you want (30 volts for the recommenced 450w for the MKiv). Problem solved.

Be careful with the BM's. You will not be able to hear them starting to struggle until its too late and they bottom out and potentially ruin it.

Also from the old stereo integrity site

https://web.archive.org/web/20160308.../#tab-features

Does the BMmkIV need 450 watts to perform?
    Absolutely not! The new BMmkIV is a very efficient subwoofer thanks in part to its XBL^2 enabled motor and it does not need every bit of its power handling limit in order to perform well. In its recommended enclosure volume of 0.5^3 sealed, the BMmkIV’s ideal power range is 200 to 350 watts.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 12-24-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #12
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Jdunk54nl ,

That should make it w3rk ! Nice !

8 ohm will work if you read through Jdunk54nl's post attachment . Box size determines power handling ?

T/S parameters show measured Re - 6 ohm , wired in series , so slightly more power output than @ 8 ohms from amp !
    Last edited by Queef; 12-24-2019 at 11:38 AM.

3. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I did a little more research and found how to calculate the ideal VAC out of the amp. The ideal power range listed on the SI website (cached) for the MKIV is 200-350 W for a .5 ft^3 enclosure.

So if I want to be really careful I can look for sqrt(350 x 2) = ~26 VAC out of the 1100.1 before I connect the sub.

Also I found a great post by Andy on the Audiofrog Facebook page about setting gains in an active system. Had to reread it 20 times to make sure I understood everything, but it made me much more confident to push it to the limit.... (limiiiiiiittttt!)

Sources:
    Sonic Electronix Youtube
    Audiofrog FB - Setting Gains with a DSP

Edit: aaaannndd I just noticed my posts per page count is way too low. Didn't even see the last two posts.

Also I realized I put DSP.3 instead of DSP.2 that I have. Phew. These silly mistakes are why I worry about blowing shit up haha...

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    T/S parameters show measured Re - 6 ohm , wired in series , so slightly more power output than @ 8 ohms from amp !
    Is this to say the impedance of the MKIV when wiring the DVC in series is 6 ohms? Not 8?

I don't quite understand all the math behind T/S params. So apologies if I'm dead wrong lol.

EDIT Measured resistance. Got it.

Follow up. Does it make more sense to use the 6 ohm Re or assume 8 ohm impedance in the formula above?
    Last edited by moo; 12-24-2019 at 02:55 PM.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I did a little more research and found how to calculate the ideal VAC out of the amp. The ideal power range listed on the SI website (cached) for the MKIV is 200-350 W for a .5 ft^3 enclosure.

So if I want to be really careful I can look for sqrt(350 x 2) = ~26 VAC out of the 1100.1 before I connect the sub.

Also I found a great post by Andy on the Audiofrog Facebook page about setting gains in an active system. Had to reread it 20 times to make sure I understood everything, but it made me much more confident to push it to the limit.... (limiiiiiiittttt!)

Sources:
    Sonic Electronix Youtube
    Audiofrog FB - Setting Gains with a DSP

Edit: aaaannndd I just noticed my posts per page count is way too low. Didn't even see the last two posts.

Also I realized I put DSP.3 instead of DSP.2 that I have. Phew. These silly mistakes are why I worry about blowing shit up haha...
    Yup. I did this calculation for the ideal VAC for my JL 10TW3 which takes 400 watts but my amp puts out 760. I set it up like you did with the formula for 760 and it’s working/sounding great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #16
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post

Be careful with the BM's. You will not be able to hear them starting to struggle until its too late and they bottom out and potentially ruin it.
    Start out "safe" , learn sub , then work towards optimization !

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Start out "safe" , learn sub , then work towards optimization !
    I am assuming that is not whee the term "sub optimal" comes from?