Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Amp Impedence Question - SI BM MKIV / XDI 1100.1

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Amp Impedence Question - SI BM MKIV / XDI 1100.1

Hi there,

Some of you may (probably not) know me from DIYMA as moodue.

I have the Audiofrog GB 10/25/40s powered by two Arc Audio xdi 600.4's in my BRZ. All good there.

The problem I have however is I bought a Stereo Integrity BM MKIV to be powered by an Arc Audio xdi 1100.1.

I feel like I dun goofed.

The SI is dual 4 ohm. The 1100.1 is rated as follows:

1 Channels @ 4 ohms- 350 Watts
    1 Channels @ 2 ohms- 600 Watts
    1 Channel @ 1 ohms- 1100 Watts

I didn't see anywhere in the manual, but can I assume it would run at 225 Watts @ 8 ohms? That seems like not quite enough power.

600 seems like overkill. Specifically, a comment I saw on tundratalk left me worried enough to make this post..

...I had asked Nick if 500 rms is too much, he said yes, left it at that...
    There are plenty of other posts all over the internet about just watching the gains when "overpowering" a sub. I don't mean to open up a can of worms. Just looking for peace of mind before I wire this up and finally give it a listen!

What do?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Re: Newbie Amp Impedence Question - SI BM MKIV / XDI 1100.1

If it was my gear, I would run it and be careful with the gain.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Parallel and leave gain all the way down might be worth a try , if wired in series @ 8 ohms does not seem sufficient ?
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...a-V124DV2.html

Use a different sub ?
    Last edited by Queef; 12-23-2019 at 06:01 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

If your car has a top speed of (super fast) but you only have tires rated for (kinda fast) then you drive kinda fast and don't worry about it.

Just because your amplifier could output (whatever) watts doesn't mean you have to output (whatever) watts all the time.

Wire coils in parallel and be a little conservative with your gain knob and your listening.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have 150 to the 10's and 25's. 300 to the 60's. And now I'll do 600 to the BM. (I swear I'm not over-compensating for anything )

But currently all of my gains are at min and they might stay there.

I'll be sure to do a proper tune with the DSP.3 before blasting edm music through it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Hi there,

Some of you may (probably not) know me from DIYMA as moodue.

I have the Audiofrog GB 10/25/40s powered by two Arc Audio xdi 600.4's in my BRZ. All good there.

The problem I have however is I bought a Stereo Integrity BM MKIV to be powered by an Arc Audio xdi 1100.1.

I feel like I dun goofed.

The SI is dual 4 ohm. The 1100.1 is rated as follows:

1 Channels @ 4 ohms- 350 Watts
    1 Channels @ 2 ohms- 600 Watts
    1 Channel @ 1 ohms- 1100 Watts

I didn't see anywhere in the manual, but can I assume it would run at 225 Watts @ 8 ohms? That seems like not quite enough power.

600 seems like overkill. Specifically, a comment I saw on tundratalk left me worried enough to make this post..

There are plenty of other posts all over the internet about just watching the gains when "overpowering" a sub. I don't mean to open up a can of worms. Just looking for peace of mind before I wire this up and finally give it a listen!

What do?
    I'm with Justin Zazzi on this, just because you have "too much" power running at 2 ohms doesn't mean you have to use it all. I'm running two 1000 watt rms subs with two 3000 watt rms amps with the gains set to produce 1800 watts rms each. I'm certain you can limit your amp to 500 watts pretty easily.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

The only time that an amp puts out full power is if you're doing test tones at full volume, or doing some type of SPL burping. You'd be surprised to find out that during regular listening, it's probably putting out closer to 80w. As others have stated, keep your gains, volume, and EQ conservative, and you'll be fine.

BTW, I'm running a 200w per channel amp on tweeters that are designed to handle 80w and mids designed for 20w max. It's called "overhead"

8. Back To Top    #8

I think your answers have led me to an area that I haven't done enough research during or prior to this install. (my first active and 2nd install ever after a decade long hiatus).

I need to follow a more methodical plan to set gains and to set an upper limit for volume on my stock HU. I tend to like my music loud but I don't want to play Russian roulette with this gear.

I've been taking it easy on the AF's but I initially only set the channel gains through the Helix software just to make sure I wasn't distorting the signal with a (I think) 0db test tone.

I have yet to do a proper tune though. I need to acquire a measurement microphone. And clearly I need to read up some more on this whole process.

Sorry to get a little off topic but I appreciate all the repsonses!

9. Back To Top    #9

It will be fine with the amp at 2ohms, just take a touch off the gains and enjoy transients with headroom ����

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    I have 150 to the 10's and 25's. 300 to the 60's. And now I'll do 600 to the BM. (I swear I'm not over-compensating for anything )

But currently all of my gains are at min and they might stay there.

I'll be sure to do a proper tune with the DSP.3 before blasting edm music through it.
    Don't get scared now.
    I wouldn't think twice about wiring it to 2 ohms. My amp does ~1200 to a 700 watt sub. While I don't play woofer cooker at full tilt, I do everything else.