Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 F150 Limited Build

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: 2014 F150 Limited Build

Got my new (used) stereo integrity bm mkv's today and got them installed in the mti box.

The mti box is beautiful. They matched my graphite trim on my 14 limited unique interior perfectly (I did have to do some legwork on that). It fits nearly perfect (I am guessing it would be if there wasn't so much sound deadening in my truck), and did I mention it is BEAUTIFUL! MTI's customer service was also top notch with Jim Skaggs texting me updates and pictures along the way. I didn't expect that. The packaging was also very good for shipping. I hate packing peanuts, but man that box was not going to be damaged in shipping.

Some very minor things that bother my ocd and I think would take this box from a 9/10 to a 10/10. I wish they would have carpeted the bottom instead of what appears to be spray paint. The carpet ends right on the bottom and would be only a couple dollars to finish it. The terminals were slightly crooked, I didn't fix this as I didn't want to make additional holes. I was also a little surprised they didn't pre-run some wire to each spot for the subs from the terminal, it only took me like 5 minutes but I did have to remove the terminal to do this. Again, non of this is a deal breaker by any means. But I do think those small touches would make this a 10/10 instead of a 9/10.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 01-19-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

I continue to be impressed by everyone's builds. Yours looks great.

I was planning a stealth install, but I may have to revisit my tweeter install for two reasons, your pods look awesome and I love the look of the Morel MT350 Lotus grill over the factory Mustang A-pillar grill.

Even your mid bass is giving me something to consider. Even though I have a spot I can add a midbass in the door (once I get recylced door panels that is), the dash would make wiring easier and elimate the need for the recycled door panels, air bags notwithstanding...
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Nick

Looking forward to hearing it soon

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    he said I should use a banana for scale..
    And thats how i found out Justin uses Reddit..

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Looking forward to hearing it soon
    dang it...now this means I need to go retune for the new subs...there goes the afternoon.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Enclosure turned out amazing, Jacob! Can't wait to hear them 12's in action!

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Sent my amps off to Audio Science Review to be measured so that meant I needed to retune the truck this past weekend! I also changed where the tweeters were mounted, after offroading and road use the original mounting locations epoxy broke loose and was rattling. So now put factory tweeter grills back and mounted the tweeters through the top of the factory tweeter mount.

Here are the amp Reviews

Alpine PDX-v9:https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...plifier.28893/
    Alpine PDX-F6: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...plifier.28870/

My Retune Session Results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 13.30.27.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	16725

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 13.31.27.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	16726

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Ok Question for some of you that may know ( @dumdum or @Justin Zazzi)

This was my tweeter phase response after getting it the best I knew how.

Purple is my left tweeer and dark green is my right tweeter.
    I circled in green where my questions stems from.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I even worry about this area since my crossover for tweeters is at 3500hz acoustically and it gets the weird wrapping phase at about 3000hz and that is -12db down?

2) If I were to worry about this, how would I fix it? As in, if this was somewhere at like 8000hz in the middle of the response. I tried some all pass filters on this and nothing would fix it. They would shift the weird wrap either higher or lower, but nothing would get rid of it.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 07.50.12.png 
Views:	437 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	16729

Here are my mids, anything you see I should fix here? This one has a break in the phase at about 1290hz in the left mid (green). The right mid is the dark red. I tried an all pass filter but it didn't really fix it. I tired 2nd order and different q's for it. Do you worry about those?

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 07.56.12.png 
Views:	428 
Size:	562.8 KB 
ID:	16730

Here are mids to tweeters: Left mid is green, left tweeter is orange, right mid is pink, right tweeter is blue.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 07.59.34.png 
Views:	413 
Size:	588.4 KB 
ID:	16732

Here are mids to woofers: Left mid green, left woofer bright green, right mid ink, right woofer brown

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 08.01.06.png 
Views:	434 
Size:	584.2 KB 
ID:	16733

Here are my woofers and subwoofers, I don't see much to fix here. Subwoofer dark green, right woofer red, left woofer blue:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 07.57.41.png 
Views:	425 
Size:	554.2 KB 
ID:	16731

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Final question about all of the above:

Once I was done doing that work, I got into the truck and was listening. My sound stage seemed to be shifted a few inches to the left of center. I tried changing left side overall levels by lowering them but the stage didn't shift at all. Should I mess with the timing? That seems like it would then mess up the phase responses. I tried that and it did shift the stage if I increased the delay on the right side as a whole by a couple clicks, but I know this definitely impacts the phase response.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I would not worry about phase alignment above 1kHz 'ish. If your tweeters are Goofy at 8khz, I wouldn't bother.

If you wanted to though, I think all pass filters are a good start. They can only bend the phase trace one direction so if you're not getting what you want, try all pass filter on the other channel instead.

It is curious to see the knee in phase response though. Usually I see a sharp transition like that when I'm measuring a 2 way or a coaxial set because the acoustic center of the midrange and tweeter are different distances from the mic. So in that case the phase plot would be two straight lines that intersect somewhere, and you get a shape that looks much like your tweeter phase does.

I would double check that the frequency response is what you think it is. Frequency and phase response are linked so adjusting one can help the other match.

Oh, also reflections.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.