Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer tuning; How much music is actually under 80 Hz?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    BMW 335i E92, BMW X6 F16, 2000 LandCruiser

Subwoofer tuning; How much music is actually under 80 Hz?

How much music is actually under 80 Hz? Fell free to move this to the music forum if more appropriote.

I think my subwoofer is adding depth and impact but I’ve put what I thought were fairly bass heavy songs on, opened the trunk, put my ear next to the subwoofer and don’t really hear that much. I can turn the level control up and it will increase the subwoofer volume but I’m not sure that is a good thing. I don’t want that muddy, overbearing subwoofer sound again.

I just don’t think there is that much content in typical music under 80 Hz, assuming that is where my sub is crossed over at. I’ve searched for songs that have more content in that range for testing and showcasing a subwoofer but the music I typically listen to just may not have much under 80 Hz. It could also be as much feeling as hearing the lower notes.

This is an interesting read;

https://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-...equency-range/

I am planning a new system for my X6 F16 and intend to do a bit more. For background, here is what I did to my 335i E92.

I recently went through a couple phases of audio upgrades on the 335i E92. Phase 1 added an OEM style corner loaded Subwoofer enclosure with a JL 12W3v3-4 and a JL XD500/3; this kept the stock amp and cabin speakers but used two of the JL channels to power the under-seat speakers as woofers in a 3 way plus subwoofer.

I was not happy with the bass. It seemed disconnected, unbalanced, overbearing and muddy. I also started a thread on a different forum asking why they installed a sub level control knob in my center console. I have always balanced and tuned my home subs to spec and assumed a car should be the same.

Phase two added a Front Stage Morel Hybrid 402 component set, under-seat Woofer upgrade to Jehnert XE200 8" woofers, a JL Twk 88 DSP Processor and a JL XD600/6 amp.

Also disconnected the center channel, did a re-code from S677 HiFi system Professional DSP (Logic 7) to standard HIFI, allowing regular low level output from the head unit and had a full tune done with some sound deadening. Rear and rear deck speakers were tuned as rear fill.

System is now tuned, balanced and natural while providing nice clean, balanced bass. I like bass but want it reproduced close to what the artist and recording studio intended and I think that has been accomplished. I'm not completely satisfied with the highs yet. It sounds a bit bright, shrill or harsh and I don't think that is a common issue with Morel so assume I can get it improved with tuning.
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: Subwoofer tuning; How much music is actually under 80 Hz?

I guess it depends on the music you listen to. In my case there is plenty below 80 hz. I listen to mostly 80's and jazz music. Granted some of the 80's stuff rarely excites the subs but a lot of it does.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

The cabin of a car does some terrible things to the sub response. You likely had a ton of bloat in the 40hz range causing that muddy overbearing sound. If you can't properly dial the sub in with dsp it will be nearly impossible to have something other than a ground pounder. As for how much is under 80hz...there's plenty of content there. There's more than enough for a sub to be needed to round out the bottom two octaves. You probably already know that when properly dialed in a sub is just "there" and should never draw attention to itself. Bass should be planted high on the dash and even out on the hood just like everything else.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I guess it depends on the music you listen to. In my case there is plenty below 80 hz. I listen to mostly 80's and jazz music. Granted some of the 80's stuff rarely excites the subs but a lot of it does.
    I listen to a lot of 80's and Jazz as well. Add in classic rock, southern rock, blues and some classical. Really the only music I don't listen to very much is rap.

There is some low content from kick drums, piano, string bass etc. but I think even most of that is handled by my woofers. I'm sure my subwoofer is filling it in nicely and likely like Hillbilly SQ mentioned, joining it seamlessly and not in the overbearing way I was unhappy with before adding a DSP.

Thanks
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Nick

Not tuning your sub is equal to not tuning 5k - 20k. The sub covers on average 2+ octaves and is also a higher level than everything else in most car audio speakers. You better spend the time tuning it lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Not tuning your sub is equal to not tuning 5k - 20k. The sub covers on average 2+ octaves and is also a higher level than everything else in most car audio speakers. You better spend the time tuning it lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    It has been tuned and sounds great. Title is probably misleading. Probably noticing the difference between my theater with an 18, 2 ea. 15's, two 12's built in to my mains and the purposeful LFE in movie sound tracks vs. the more subtle < 80 Hz in music. Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Not tuning your sub is equal to not tuning 5k - 20k. The sub covers on average 2+ octaves and is also a higher level than everything else in most car audio speakers. You better spend the time tuning it lol.
    I agree, but... Arguably it is more like one octave when 35-40 Hz SSF is used...
    Hence the questions about how much content is there and for what music.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

turn off your sub(s) and listen

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    x2

10. Back To Top    #10
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post

Spoken like a true dickhead!