Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Build in My 4Runner

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: Budget Build in My 4Runner

The Alpine sub is an interesting suggestion. I never thought of them as an SQ sub but haven't heard any of them in years. I'm gonna have to model them because I do like the looks and the price.
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Well I’ve owned an SWS 10 and a 12 for a few years now and have had a lot of different subwoofers in between including the AF GB12 and I say the Alpine SWS 10 in a 1 cube ported box tuned to 31.5 Hz is a great sounding setup and the one in my van has surprisingly good output. The Sundown SD3 10 in a ported box is also another great low distortion subwoofer although that subwoofer isn’t designed to be used in a ported box, it still does well and sounds phenomenal in the right box.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle

After years of building ported enclosures, I've turned to sealed and IB as my preferred setup lately. I have a JL Audio 12W1 from 1993 that still works but I'm afraid it may let go if played hard. I have considered building the box and using the JL to measure the response and hope the data will help me choose the best sub. The Dayton HO was on top mainly because I know how it sounds sealed in a vehicle and it's under $200; however, I am not totally committed to it yet.
    I am open to sub suggestions as it's the only component I don't have yet.
    The amp is a RF Punch 300W @2 ohms
    Sealed with about 1 ft3 'ish
    Response needs to get to 20Hz
    Budget friendly
    Conservative looks, preferably black. If not, I'll have to make a grill.
    Output = moderate, for reference, the Dayton 8's in the doors almost get me there. I don't listen to it very loud anymore. I just need to get lower than the 8's are capable of.
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

The Dayton needs a lot of power. Look into the Scan Speak Discovery 10 or 12 inch. Great for sound quality and don't need a ton of power. I'm running 2 12in 30W's sealed on 350 watts each. That Dayton will need twice that power.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I was going to recommend the 30w too and say the same about the Dayton power level but Stycker beat me to it. The Alpine will need more than 300 watts especially in a sealed box. I’ve got one of these that I tried in a sealed box and it sounded pretty good to me. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...+subwoofer+jbl
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle

It's funny both of you mentioned the ScanSpeak 30W. I was looking at that model since it checks all the boxes except budget. It models very well in my application. I was also concerned about the HO and my limited power which had me looking at the HF model as well. Even though I know my listening levels will generally only use a fraction of the amps power, the ScanSpeak will do more with the 200 watts at 4 ohms that the HO will with 300 at 2 ohm in most situations. Especially for the occasions when I do crank the volume a little. In the end, I wonder if the ScanSpeak stays within the original intent of a budget build since it costs more than any other component in my system. I have less than $200 in all of the other drivers total.
    Going with the HF has an advantage because I have another project for it if it doesn't have enough output for the vehicle.
    Meh, it'll play.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    After years of building ported enclosures, I've turned to sealed and IB as my preferred setup lately. I have a JL Audio 12W1 from 1993 that still works but I'm afraid it may let go if played hard. I have considered building the box and using the JL to measure the response and hope the data will help me choose the best sub. The Dayton HO was on top mainly because I know how it sounds sealed in a vehicle and it's under $200; however, I am not totally committed to it yet.
    I am open to sub suggestions as it's the only component I don't have yet.
    The amp is a RF Punch 300W @2 ohms
    Sealed with about 1 ft3 'ish
    Response needs to get to 20Hz
    Budget friendly
    Conservative looks, preferably black. If not, I'll have to make a grill.
    Output = moderate, for reference, the Dayton 8's in the doors almost get me there. I don't listen to it very loud anymore. I just need to get lower than the 8's are capable of.
    I'll be honest, for the money, the Image Dynamics ID series sound good and hit LOW...very low! 1 ID10v.4 or ID12v.4 with 300 watts will do great! I ran an 8, 10, then 2 12s back in the day all sealed. Now I'm running 4 8s and couldn't be happier with how well they blend in and how low they play.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle

The ID was up there with the ScanSpeak and SB Acoustics. I like the way they sound and even recommended them in another thread. I just have to get past the logo. My sub will be visible so its a small consideration. They sound as good as if not better than my old "go to" subs and they model very similar so it would be familiar to me. The price puts them ahead of the others even though the Scan keeps calling me.
    Meh, it'll play.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Maybe you can have ID send you a set without the logo? May be worth the call!