Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does temperature affect tuning?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Does temperature affect tuning?

I'm starting to do some tuning to dial in my system but I'm wondering if I should let the cabin warm up to a more comfortable temp before measuring/adjusting EQ? Especially with it being about 18-20*F this week, would being this cold affect the frequency response? Obviously it would be much more comfortable for ME but how much does it affect the speakers? I have a garage (currently occupied with another vehicle) but it's not climate controlled so it's still freezing in there. It doesn't sound bad... it actually sounds REALLY good with VERY minimal tuning. I've pretty much just set some basic T/A numbers and adjusted my HU's 13 band EQ to get rid of some of the harshness of some frequencies. So, it's possible for me to happily live with it until warmer temps come back. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Does temperature affect tuning?

Well, think of it this way. The soft parts on speakers change in pliability with temperature. Some are more effected than others. If given the choice I'd MUCH rather tune in the freezing cold than in the blistering heat. One thing I have noticed is humidity can have an effect on sound. No idea how it does or if I'm just crazy but I swear it makes a difference just like temperature and altitude.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's funny you ask this - I was just wondering the same thing.... I've found that the tune that I measured while the car interior was warm *does* seem to measure differently than if I measure it when cold. At least, I swear that is the case!! Can't say with 100% certainty, but I swear the tune measured perfectly when the interior was "warmed up" and not so perfectly when measured with the interior cold (~35F).... Maybe it was something else (humidity, me measuring slightly differently, etc) - not 100% sure.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

At 68 °F, the speed of sound in air is about 1,125 ft/s. Temperature, humidity, and pressure definitely affect the sound. I heard some competitors were complaining at a comp (might have been finals) because it was held in a dome that used air pressure to keep the structure rigid. The added air pressure was causing their comp tunes to sound odd. One guy did an RTA sweep earlier in the day, and another later in the evening...you could see a definite change in response.

Also, as Chris was saying, speakers are stiffer when cold.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Condensation forms if temps are dropping below dew point.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I believe it does make a difference too. I have been doing lots of tuning lately, in fact I tuned in the cold yesterday. I started with my tweeters and got them flat before the vehicle could warm up. I always tune with my vehicle running (just a habit). By the time my vehicle had warmed up I was ready to start EQing each side as a whole, but noticed the tweeters had changed response a little bit and had to be flattened out some more after warming up. It was only a couple of dB's in a couple spots, but it definitely changed when it warmed up.

I'm the opposite of Hillbilly in that I would much rather tune while its warm outside. Maybe not blistering hot, but warm.
    I also believe we should be letting the vehicle warm up before tuning, since 95% of my listening time is while my vehicle is fully warmed up. Cranking the heat is what us Canadians do.

This is just an opinion.....far from scientific.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

A warm tune & a cold beer , eh !

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    A warm tune & a cold beer , eh !
    Yes sir! I'm looking forward to that very thing this weekend. Also, great EXO video. I love EXO, serious man crush on that dude. Lol.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    I have been doing lots of tuning lately, in fact I tuned in the cold yesterday. I started with my tweeters and got them flat before the vehicle could warm up. I always tune with my vehicle running (just a habit). By the time my vehicle had warmed up I was ready to start EQing each side as a whole, but noticed the tweeters had changed response a little bit and had to be flattened out some more after warming up. It was only a couple of dB's in a couple spots, but it definitely changed when it warmed up.
    This is really what I was wondering... real world results too. I always knew that speakers would be stiffer when cold but I was thinking that after a minute or 2 (or more depending on how cold) they would loosen up enough that it wouldn't really matter. I guess its nice to have some "proof" that my thinking is on the right track.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    At 68 °F, the speed of sound in air is about 1,125 ft/s. Temperature, humidity, and pressure definitely affect the sound. I heard some competitors were complaining at a comp (might have been finals) because it was held in a dome that used air pressure to keep the structure rigid. The added air pressure was causing their comp tunes to sound odd. One guy did an RTA sweep earlier in the day, and another later in the evening...you could see a definite change in response.

Also, as Chris was saying, speakers are stiffer when cold.
    Interesting!

OK... so... part 2 of the original question (just to further the discussion)... If the temperature effects the frequency response (even if minimal), would a big change in temps, and/or pressure, humidity, etc., cause your time delay to be off as well?