Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

04/18

What a difference just six days can make!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1498.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	10318

Name:	IMG_1500.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	5.92 MB 
ID:	10319

Name:	IMG_1502.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	5.22 MB 
ID:	10320

Transplanted 25 pepper seedlings into medium (18 per tray) pots on 4/16. Will do some more of the same in a few days.

Name:	IMG_1501.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	10321

04/19

One last look at the prematurely started cherry tomato seedlings mentioned in the previous post… Unfortunately, they have nearly outgrown the patio environment, and there’s just no way that they can be adequately accommodated another four weeks, until the average last frost date, when they can be reasonably safely transplanted into the garden.

Name:	IMG_1503.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	10322

On a happier note, the Opalka and Jet Star tomato seedlings mentioned in the previous post seem to be shaping up nicely, with the Jet Stars clearly taking the lead in that regard. Read online the other day that it’s normal for some tomato varieties to grow weird at first. While I haven’t found anything specific to either of these two varieties in that regard, it has already begun to appear that that is the case, which is a big relief.

04/20

More seeds started (96 cells on heat mat):
    12 Chadwick Cherry Tomato (to replace those prematurely started seedlings mentioned above).
    6 Fordhook Zucchini
    12 Waltham Butternut Squash
    6 Buttercup Squash
    12 New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin
    6 Connecticut Field Pumpkin
    12 Tommy Apple Melon Cantaloupe
    12 Strawberry Watermelon
    6 Marketmore 76 Cucumber
    12 Wild Italian Fennel

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	4.98 MB 
ID:	10323

Final seeds will be started as soon as heat pad space becomes available from 04/20 batch:
    6 more Fordhook Zucchini
    6 more Buttercup Squash
    6 more Connecticut Field Pumpkin
    6 more Marketmore 76 Cucumber

Just as with all other vegetable seeds (and herbs to some degree), more are started than will be needed in the garden; to allow for germination rate, for culling of weakest seedlings, and/or for replacement of transplanted seedlings substantially injured or killed by garden pests.

2. Back To Top    #42

Where can I buy those containers?

3. Back To Top    #43

Quote Originally Posted by livewity View Post
    Where can I buy those containers?
    You should be able to find these kinds of trays and pots at any garden supply store. Many hardware stores have them too. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure Home Depot has them as well.

Might be kind of hot items right now with the COVID panic thought, so stock might be limited or depleted?

4. Back To Top    #44

Some strawberries on the balcony of my sister's condominium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berries.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	10475  

5. Back To Top    #45

04/22

Transplanted 17 more sweet pepper seedlings into medium pots.

04/23

Final (indoor) seeds started:
    6 more Fordhook Zucchini
    6 more Buttercup Squash
    6 more Connecticut Field Pumpkin
    6 more Marketmore 76 Cucumber

Transplanted 16 Jet Star Tomato seedlings into large pots.

04/24

Set up much-needed additional window area (roughly east-facing - morning sun only, but better than nothing) for seedlings in dining room, upon unused door-on-crates.

Name:	IMG_1532.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	10592

04/27

Transplanted 12 German Chamomile, and 6 Genovese Basil seedlings into medium pots.

04/28

Transplanted 8 Opalka Tomato (8 in total, culled all the rest) and 8 more (24 in total, culled all the rest) Jet Star Tomato seedlings into large pots, and 6 more Genovese Basil and 12 more pepper seedlings into medium pots.

As the vast majority of tomato harvest will be canned/frozen for sauce, it’s disappointing that the Opalka (sauce tomato) seedlings appear to be so much less promising than the Jet Star (slicing tomato) seedlings …which is why I chose to cull all but 8 of the former, while retaining three times as many of the latter, instead of the other way around. I’ll be kicking myself if it turns out that the Opalkas substantially outperform the Jet Stars in the long run.

04/29

Set up much-needed additional window area (roughly south-facing) for seedlings in bedroom, upon unused top-half of shelf rack for seedling heat mat in office.

Name:	IMG_1579.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	10590

Removed seedling heat mat from shelf rack in office, to allow additional window area (roughly south-facing) for seedlings.

Name:	IMG_1580.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	5.45 MB 
ID:	10591

Wish there were more south-facing windows.

Seems I’m forever moving seedling trays around to maximize available sunlight, with priority as follows: 1) vegetables 2) herbs and 3) ornamentals.

Transplanted 30 more sweet pepper seedlings (for a grand total of 84 pepper plants – nearly twice as many as last year’s 45 plants!).

04/30

Name:	IMG_1583.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	4.82 MB 
ID:	10586

Name:	IMG_1584.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	5.40 MB 
ID:	10587

Name:	IMG_1585.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	5.76 MB 
ID:	10588

Name:	IMG_1586.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	5.58 MB 
ID:	10589

6. Back To Top    #46

05/02

All seedlings outside for first time, one hour in full sun (beginning of hardening-off process).

As more and more transplanted seedlings require more and more space; as springtime sun moves ever higher in the sky; and as a nearby large tree regrows its leaves, less and less direct sunlight can come into the south-facing patio, As a result, I anxiously await a sunny enough day with low enough wind and high enough temperatures for seedlings to be brought outside for the first time (for me, that means mostly sunny and in the mid-to-upper 50s or higher, partly cloudy and in the low 60s or higher, or cloudy and in the mid-to-upper 60s or higher). Thankfully, that day was today!

Name:	IMG_1588.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	10784

Note:
    While it can be quite tempting to maximize available sunshine by leaving seedlings outside all day (weather permitting, of course), best practice is to start with one hour on the first day, two hours on the second day, three hours on the third day, and so on (adding one hour each day), until the seventh or eighth day, when they can safely remain outside all day, or be safely transplanted into the garden, once the likelihood of frost has passed. Plants need time to adjust to the intensity of outdoor sunlight and climate (wind, and high/low temperatures and humidity). This process is called hardening-off. Last year, I rushed the process, and the majority of my seedlings ended up with sunburned leaves. While it didn’t kill any of the seedlings, it certainly was an unfortunate and easily preventable mistake.

Of course, wind is a major concern as well. Nearby buildings or other structures, and/or thick bushes, hedges, fences, etc. can serve as effective windbreaks. Keep a close eye on your seedlings and on weather conditions, and be prepared to take immediate action accordingly. An oscillating fan on indoor seedlings will help prepare them for outdoor wind, in addition to a number of other considerable benefits of air movement.

05/03

All seedlings outside for second time, two hours, mostly sunny (continuing hardening-off process).

Transplanted 5 New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin, 4 Buttercup Squash and 4 Fordhook Zucchini into medium pots.

05/04

All seedlings outside for third time, three hours, mostly sunny (continuing hardening-off process).

Transplanted 6 New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin and 6 Connecticut Field Pumpkin into medium pots.

05/05

All seedlings outside for fourth time, three hours (brought in one hour early due to wind), mostly sunny (continuing hardening-off process).

Transplanted 5 Waltham Butternut Squash, 6 Buttercup Squash, 6 Connecticut Field Pumpkin and 6 Waltham Butternut Squash into medium pots.

05/06

All seedlings outside for fifth time, five hours, mostly cloudy (continuing hardening-off process).

Name:	IMG_1599.JPG 
Size:	5.49 MB 
ID:	10785

Crowded patio.

Name:	IMG_1602.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	10786

Name:	IMG_1604.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	5.34 MB 
ID:	10787

Name:	IMG_1605.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	5.20 MB 
ID:	10788

Name:	IMG_1606.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	10789

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

You are certainly earning whatever fruits those plants bring you come summer and fall. It should be a great crop. Looks awesome Grinder and makes me want to do another garden again this year.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #48

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    You are certainly earning whatever fruits those plants bring you come summer and fall. It should be a great crop. Looks awesome Grinder and makes me want to do another garden again this year.
    Thank you, John! It is a fair bit of work, and I tend to go the extra mile in any way I can. Sure wish I had a greenhouse, though. The plants would be better off, and I wouldn't have to keep moving them all the time. Now, when the time comes, if they'd just go ahead and transplant themselves in the garden, that would be great!

Given the considerably greater number of plants this year and the advanced maturity of the vast majority of those plants (compared to last year), if all goes reasonably well the harvest should be far greater than last year. Whereas most of last years' harvest barely fit into freezers, given the potential size this year's harvest, I'll be canning most of the tomatoes instead of freezing them.

My primary aim with this thread is to inspire others to give gardening a try, or to get back into gardening again. There's still plenty of time.
    Last edited by Grinder; 05-09-2020 at 08:02 AM.

9. Back To Top    #49

05/07

All seedlings outside for sixth time, 5.5 hours, mostly sunny (continuing hardening-off process).

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	5.83 MB 
ID:	11106

05/08

Herb and flower seedlings outside for a few hours; all others inside all day, due to windy conditions.

Name:	IMG_1608.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	5.48 MB 
ID:	11107

Transplanted three remaining oregano into round pots.

05/09

All seedlings inside all day, due to windy conditions.

05/10

All seedlings inside all day, due to windy conditions.

05/11

All seedlings outside for seventh time, 2.5 hours, mostly cloudy, brought in early due to rain (continuing hardening-off process).

Name:	IMG_1610.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	11108

05/12

All seedlings inside all day, due to weather.

Transplanted 10 Chadwick Cherry Tomato - 8 largest into large pots, 2 smallest into medium pots.

05/13

All seedlings inside all day, due to weather.

Transplanted: 2 Fordhook Zucchini; 5 Fordhook Zucchini; 3 unknown late sprouts; 6 Marketmore 76 Cucumber; 5 Tommy Apple Melon Cantaloupe into medium pots.

05/14

All seedlings outside for 2.5 hours, partly cloudy, partially shaded through new leaves on adjacent tree (cautiously resuming weather-interrupted hardening-off process).

Name:	IMG_1611.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	5.60 MB 
ID:	11110

Transplanted 6 Marketmore 76 Cucumber; 6 Tommy Apple Melon Cantaloupe into medium pots.

05/15

All seedlings outside for 4.5 hours, partly-to-mostly cloudy, partially shaded through new leaves on adjacent tree (cautiously resuming weather-interrupted hardening-off process).

Name:	IMG_1622.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	5.14 MB 
ID:	11105

Transplanted 11 Strawberry Watermelon – last of veggies; 10 catnip; 12 Lime Aromatic Basil into medium pots.

05/16

All seedlings outside for 5 hours, mostly cloudy, partially shaded through new leaves on adjacent tree (cautiously resuming weather-interrupted hardening-off process). Tomato seedlings out in garden in evening for first overnight.

05/17

All seedlings in garden for 7.5 hours, mostly cloudy. Tomato seedlings remain in garden all day and for second overnight.

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	7.19 MB 
ID:	11103

Name:	IMG_1625.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	6.83 MB 
ID:	11104

Belatedly thinned basil (both types, Lime Aromatic and Genovese) and catnip.

NOTE: I should have known to thin herbs and flowers soon after germination. While it is necessary, thinning now might be too late - certainly far from ideal!!!

In hindsight, it has become clear that I started the majority of the vegetable seeds too early, as most seedlings have gotten a bit too big to practically manage – with some worse in this regard than others.

05/18

All seedlings in garden for 8 hours, mostly to partly cloudy. Tomato seedlings remain in garden all day and for third overnight.

Transplanted (and thinned) 6 Common Thyme into medium pots.

First seedlings (17 in total) transplanted into garden, one day ahead of schedule!
    5 Jet Star Slicing Tomato
    5 New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin
    3 Fordhook Zucchini
    3 Buttercup Squash
    1 Connecticut Field Pumpkin

Name:	IMG_1626.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	7.88 MB 
ID:	11101

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	8.48 MB 
ID:	11102

10. Back To Top    #50

Blah, blah, blah...

05/21
    A total of 59 seedlings transplanted into garden. Many more to go.

Name:	IMG_1640.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	7.85 MB 
ID:	11299

Name:	IMG_1641.JPG 
Size:	8.73 MB 
ID:	11300

Name:	IMG_1642.JPG