Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    whoa... so many on the table and counter... you can open a grocery store!!!
    Thanks. Two big upright freezers are filled to capacity. Gonna have to do some canning next year.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Just beautiful !

Yes , to canning , my wife loved to can !

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    They did ...in 2018. Deer ate new growth down to almost nothing at some point.

Yeah, that's normal. They produce vegetative growth first (new branches, called "canes"), and then those "new" branches can then produce berries following year.
    Have you considered organic ways to keep the deer out? I've heard spreading human hair will do it and also urinating often near the garden. Haven't tried that here but I know you don't want to ever relieve yourself anywhere near where you're deer hunting. Then there's the tried and true method of having dogs to keep them chased off. My uncle knows of wild blackberry vines in the woods and always has to beat the deer to the berries. Damnit, now I want blackberry cobbler!
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #14

I've read about those and other simple non-toxic deer repellents. Many swear by one method (and vice-versa), while others have tried everything to no avail. To minimize frustration I accept that the deer will have their way with whatever they like outside the garden, while the garden fence keeps deer out of the garden.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

How tall is that fence to keep the deer from getting over it? I swear the deer down here have rocket boosters on them as high as they can jump.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #16

Eight feet. In preparation for the garden I read a lot about fencing as well ...and reportedly deer can clear fences nearly that high.

7. Back To Top    #17

...It's actually a very short fence, but there are 7' t-posts + extensions attached, with several strands of electric fence wire (non-energized, of course) forming the remainder of the 8' fence height. Simple, inexpensive and effective.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Awesome garden! I keep debating setting one up, we have about a 30' x 15' fenced in area that we used to keep chickens in (a Red Tail hawk made short work of them a while back). We thought about getting chickens again, fresh eggs are awesome, but the predators around here make it stressful keeping them. One night had a bear come in, bend the fence over and grab one of the chickens, have seen raccoon prints from them trying to dig into the chicken run etc.

So, I have this fenced in area that I am giving a lot of thought to converting to a vegetable garden. Last year we tried growing pumpkins and sunflowers in there, managed to get a single pumpkin from about 15 vines, the sunflowers grew nicely though. Also planted a grape cane last year, that grew like a weed, but over the winter has died back, hoping it recovers in the Spring and I can start to get some fruit from it.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Awesome garden! I keep debating setting one up, we have about a 30' x 15' fenced in area that we used to keep chickens in (a Red Tail hawk made short work of them a while back). We thought about getting chickens again, fresh eggs are awesome, but the predators around here make it stressful keeping them. One night had a bear come in, bend the fence over and grab one of the chickens, have seen raccoon prints from them trying to dig into the chicken run etc.

So, I have this fenced in area that I am giving a lot of thought to converting to a vegetable garden. Last year we tried growing pumpkins and sunflowers in there, managed to get a single pumpkin from about 15 vines, the sunflowers grew nicely though. Also planted a grape cane last year, that grew like a weed, but over the winter has died back, hoping it recovers in the Spring and I can start to get some fruit from it.
    Thank you! Sorry to hear about your pumpkin plants. Did those plants seem fully grown and healthy otherwise? Do you plan to try again this year?

I feel very fortunate. The garden has done far better than I'd have any right to expect. Hoping this year will be as good or better than last year. Will be ordering seeds very soon. Planning to prepare an area within the garden for adding small items like onions, garlic, carrots, beets, kale, spinach, lettuce; this might be jumping the gun though, as in the end it might be better to let the wood chips continue to do their thing, rather than move an area of wood chips aside to make way for those smaller plants.

10. Back To Top    #20

Impressive garden and results. Takes a lot of work and dedication. Nothing like fresh veggies.