Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Grinder, you’re suppose to cook your vegetables after they have grown some, not before.

2. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Grinder, you’re suppose to cook your vegetables after they have grown some, not before.
    Really though, that is very funny.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Really though, that is very funny.
    Humor was the intent, lol. Glad you got a kick out of it. If people didn’t make mistakes life would be boring.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Nice updates! I bet it is incredibly satisfying getting all that harvest.

Social distancing has me looking more seriously at converting our old chicken run into a vegetable garden, hoping to get a delivery of wood chips sometime soon (failing that will go to the local dump and buy 2 yards of mulch) and will then see if I can get anywhere. Planted a couple rhubarb plants yesterday in one corner where I had started a (neglected) compost pile, fingers crossed that will grow since the stores here never seem to have rhubarb and when they do it's gone almost immediately. In the meantime I am going to try and extend the fence a little higher, it's currently just under 6' tall but I plan to extend it about 3' higher to keep deer out. Also need to make a gate, but, weather seems perfect to be outside so may as well make use of the area and hopefully get some success.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #35

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Nice updates! I bet it is incredibly satisfying getting all that harvest.

Social distancing has me looking more seriously at converting our old chicken run into a vegetable garden, hoping to get a delivery of wood chips sometime soon (failing that will go to the local dump and buy 2 yards of mulch) and will then see if I can get anywhere. Planted a couple rhubarb plants yesterday in one corner where I had started a (neglected) compost pile, fingers crossed that will grow since the stores here never seem to have rhubarb and when they do it's gone almost immediately. In the meantime I am going to try and extend the fence a little higher, it's currently just under 6' tall but I plan to extend it about 3' higher to keep deer out. Also need to make a gate, but, weather seems perfect to be outside so may as well make use of the area and hopefully get some success.
    Thanks! Yes, it is incredibly satisfying, particularly when it surpasses all expectations; and it really lit my fire to get going again this year.

Wishing you the very best of luck in getting your garden growing. Keep us posted on how it's going. Take pictures if you can. Feel free to post here ...or better yet, start a thread. Yeah, spring seems to always come in such a rush. So much to do in so little time, it can be hard to keep up. Boggles the mind to think how farmers do/did it.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quick question for you, is it OK to simply use mulch vs wood chips? I realize they are very similar, just curious. I'm trying to get some wood chips delivered, but the local dump has a huge pile of mulch for $15 a cubic yard. My biggest concern is it's dark colored, so may absorb a lot of heat.

Assuming it would work, I may go pick some up in the next couple days to try and get started with things. Ordered a bunch of seeds, so ideally can start growing.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #37

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Quick question for you, is it OK to simply use mulch vs wood chips? I realize they are very similar, just curious. I'm trying to get some wood chips delivered, but the local dump has a huge pile of mulch for $15 a cubic yard. My biggest concern is it's dark colored, so may absorb a lot of heat.

Assuming it would work, I may go pick some up in the next couple days to try and get started with things. Ordered a bunch of seeds, so ideally can start growing.
    While I'm certainly no expert on the subject, a few thoughts come to mind.

It all depends on what said mulch is composed of, and whether or not it has been adequately composted (i.e. at high enough temperature to kill pathogens, pest larvae, weed seeds and such). I've heard some places grind up stuff like furniture (along with adhesives, paint, finishes) and pallets, and add biosolids/sewage sludge to their compost. In general, unless I was sufficiently confident of its composition and quality, I would strictly limit my usage of such material to trees and ornamental gardens.

I would also bear in mind that, even if it were composed purely yard waste, it would likely contain random bits of plastic trash/debris.

If it were reasonably clean and hot composted, it would have the advantage of faster assimilation into and amendment of your soil. However, to that extent it would be more like compost than mulch, and might not to serve so well/long as uncomposted mulch or wood chips in terms of weed control. Maybe use both?

I wouldn't worry too much about the color. Whatever you use will help regulate soil temperature and retain moisture.

Whichever mulch you decide to use, congratulations on getting started.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

That would be my biggest concerns as well, what exactly is in it. I have seen it steaming so assume it has gotten to a fairly high temperature, but like you, I am not an expert!! Going to contact a couple local arborists and see if they have anything available or offer it as a service. I've seen a couple houses nearby have fairly large loads of chips dropped off, so someone in the area must offer it.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #39

O3/29

While the heating pad debacle did indeed kill/compromise/weaken a large percentage of those seeds, it turned out to be only about 2/3 as bad as it initially appeared.

Many more seeds have been started in the meantime: More assorted sweet peppers (to replace overheated seeds, and then some); Jet Star slicing tomato; Opalka sauce/paste tomato; Lime Aromatic Basil; Genovese Basil; Catmip; German Chamomile; Broadleaf Sage; Common Thyme; Columbine; Blanket Flower; Spotted Bee Balm; Salvia; Black-Eyed Susan.

Transplanted four cherry tomato plants into larger pots yesterday; will transplant the remaining four or five healthiest cherry tomato plants tomorrow.

Here's how everything's looking today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	9909

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	5.65 MB 
ID:	9910

Name:	IMG_1465.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	9911

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	9912

10. Back To Top    #40

04/12

Seedlings are coming along nicely.

A good portion of the peppers and most of the cherry tomatoes are doing well. While it's disappointing that some of the herbs and ornamental flower seeds have had low germination rates, given my unfamiliarity with some of them, and less than ideal conditions, overall results are as good or better than I've any right to expect.

Based on the slow growth rate of last year's cherry tomato seed starts, I started this year's cherry tomato seeds 30 days earlier, along with all the peppers. Well, turns out this year's cherry tomato variety (Chadwick Cherry Tomato) evidently grows a whole lot faster than last year's variety (Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato). I mistakenly assumed all cherry tomato plants get off to a slow start (facepalm). As big as they've already gotten, and with five weeks until average last frost date (when transplant in garden), not sure how I'm going to manage them until then.

Kinda worried about the other two tomato varieties' seedlings (Opalka and Jet Star), appearing as though they're all variably mutated. No clue what's up with that. Hoping it's completely normal and that they begin looking more normal/healthier soon. If not, I'll have to start some of the "heirloom" tomato seeds left over from last year, just in case. Those tomatoes weren't the greatest, but the plants themselves were quite strong and healthy, and they'd be a whole lot better than nothing.

Going to begin transplanting the larger/healthier pepper plants into larger cells tomorrow (18 cells per tray, vs the 48 cells per tray they're in now).

Name:	IMG_1488.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	10093

Name:	IMG_1487.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	10094

Name:	IMG_1486.JPG