Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

Looking good Grinder. You inspired me to do a garden this year again but I didn’t go to anywhere near the tender caring great lengths you have to get things going. I just went to a nursery and purchased some tomato, Squash, and cucumber plants. I also have some carrot and potato. I did however mix in some leaves and manure into the soil for some extra nitrogen I hope.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

2. Back To Top    #52

Glad to hear it, John! Nothing wrong with purchasing starts. Wish I was better set up for carrots and potatoes, and beets, turnips, leafy greens and such. Maybe next year.

88 seedlings in the ground as of yesterday (32 tomatoes, 3 sweet peppers, and 53 squash and pumpkins. 8 of the 10 cherry tomatoes need another week or two for their roots to fill-out their large pots before I can safely transplant them).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1657.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	7.14 MB 
ID:	11337

Name:	IMG_1658.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	7.55 MB 
ID:	11338

Name:	IMG_1659.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	7.79 MB 
ID:	11339

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	6.52 MB 
ID:	11340

Didn't plan on having so quite so many squash and pumpkins, but given the number that died last year I started plenty of extras and then decided to go ahead and transplant them all. Now that nearly all of the squash and pumpkins are in, it's on to peppers (84 of them! LOL), and then cantaloupes, watermelons and cucumbers ...and then on to relocating perennial herbs from the garden, and then transplanting new ones (also outside the garden) ...and then on to transplanting all the flower seedlings.
    Last edited by Grinder; 05-24-2020 at 06:28 AM.

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Whoa! Just three tomato plants and two squash plants give me more than I can eat and you have 32 and 53 respectively. You may as well register your property as a farm so you can take advantage of the tax benefits. Looking real good.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #54

05/28

Transplanting continues…

Name:	IMG_1701.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	7.83 MB 
ID:	11601

Name:	IMG_1702.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	5.81 MB 
ID:	11602

Finally began to notice (haven’t been paying close enough attention) Striped Cucumber Beetles and clear signs of their damaging effects on many cucurbit (cucumber, squash, pumpkin, melon) seedlings. Removed one each badly damaged and dying Fordhook Zucchini and New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin.

05/30

Transplanting continues…

Name:	IMG_1718.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	7.36 MB 
ID:	11603

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	7.52 MB 
ID:	11604

Cucumber beetles on every cucurbit. Massive infestation. Zucchini are hardest hit so far, looks like none of them will survive.

202 seedlings are in the ground:
    24 Jet Star Slicing Tomato
    8 Opalka Tomato
    2 Chadwick Cherry Tomato
    12 Connecticut Field Pumpkin
    11 Tommy Apple Melon Cantaloupe
    11 Strawberry Watermelon
    10 Marketmore 76 Cucumber
    10 New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin
    10 Fordhook Zucchini
    10 Buttercup Squash
    9 Waltham Butternut Squash
    3 mystery squash/pumpkin
    21 California Wonder Pepper
    14 Red Marconi Pepper
    12 Golden Calwonder Pepper
    11 Sweet Hungarian Banana Pepper
    10 Rainbow Blend Pepper
    8 Purple Beauty Pepper
    6 Cubanelle Pepper

06/01

Morning frost finished-off the cucurbits (all but a couple watermelon seedlings and one field pumpkin suffered serious frost damage). It’s just as well, as the cucumber beetle infestation was well on the way to killing them all anyway. A handful of pepper plants are badly damaged as well. Tomato plants and the vast majority of pepper plants have suffered no visible effects.

Name:	IMG_1730.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	9.45 MB 
ID:	11605

06/02

Transplanted final seedlings into garden:
    12 Lime Aromatic Basil
    12 Genovese Basil

Name:	IMG_1739.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	8.62 MB 
ID:	11606

06/03

Removed all 86 cucurbit plants from garden.

Name:	IMG_1748.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	6.74 MB 
ID:	11607

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	8.48 MB 
ID:	11608

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	7.53 MB 
ID:	11609

Relocated first 5 of 17 perennial herb plants (thyme, sage, catnip, fennel) from garden to new ornamental/herb garden area.

Name:	IMG_1752.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	7.59 MB 
ID:	11610

06/04

Direct sowed seeds (leftover from April seed starting) in all 86 removed cucurbit locations:
    12 Fordhook Zucchini
    12 Waltham Butternut Squash
    12 Tommy Apple Melon Cantaloupe
    12 Strawberry Watermelon
    12 Buttercup Squash
    12 New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin
    10 Marketmore 76 Cucumber
    4 Connecticut Field Pumpkin

Fingers crossed…

Relocated 4 more perennial herb plants (more thyme, sage, catnip, fennel) from garden to new ornamental/herb garden area. 8 more to go.

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	7.90 MB 
ID:	11611
    Last edited by Grinder; 06-05-2020 at 09:26 AM.

5. Back To Top    #55
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Always enjoy seeing the updates to your garden... that sucks about the beetle infestation, I have a slug problem eating the few green bean shoots that I have, need to put some bowls with beer in up there to take care of them. Unfortunately, a lot of my garden has become overgrown, just not had time to pull weeds and so they are somewhat taking over. I do have the previously mentioned green beans, as well as some peas that are growing OK, a few potato plants, cucumber, rhubarb and a grape vine that are doing pretty decently though.

I also in among the weeds have turnips, carrots and radish, but, my 5 year old helped sow those seeds and so they are not in easily identifiable lines! Still, worst case I am getting the area ready to really work on things fully next year.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #56

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Always enjoy seeing the updates to your garden... that sucks about the beetle infestation, I have a slug problem eating the few green bean shoots that I have, need to put some bowls with beer in up there to take care of them. Unfortunately, a lot of my garden has become overgrown, just not had time to pull weeds and so they are somewhat taking over. I do have the previously mentioned green beans, as well as some peas that are growing OK, a few potato plants, cucumber, rhubarb and a grape vine that are doing pretty decently though.

I also in among the weeds have turnips, carrots and radish, but, my 5 year old helped sow those seeds and so they are not in easily identifiable lines! Still, worst case I am getting the area ready to really work on things fully next year.
    Thanks. Yeah, garden pests... and weeds... Ugh! Ah well, we can only do what we can do, and try to learn what we can in the process.

Did you end up using any sort of mulch? Barring that, perhaps you could try woven ground cover fabric next year. I foresee a time when my wood chip supply will have decomposed to the point where it no is no longer adequately effective as weed control, at which point I will probably use woven ground cover fabric.

How cool and fun to have your 5 year old helping you plant the garden!

7. Back To Top    #57
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I did use mulch, what I think my main issue with the weeds was not putting a thick enough layer of mulch down. The areas is thicker its much easier to control. I'm likely going to use some kind of weed sheet next time and cut openings for seeds.

It's great having him help, he loves planting seeds and hopefully it gets him eating a wider variety of vegetables of he's growing them as well.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #58

I did use mulch, what I think my main issue with the weeds was not putting a thick enough layer of mulch down. The areas is thicker its much easier to control. I'm likely going to use some kind of weed sheet next time and cut openings for seeds.

It's great having him help, he loves planting seeds and hopefully it gets him eating a wider variety of vegetables of he's growing them as well.
    When I originally created the garden area from lawn, I simply used all the wood chips I happened to have at that time and did the best I could to distribute them evenly across the entire area. Fortunately, that turned out to be an average of about six to eight inches of well settled-to-densely packed wood chips. Even so, some pesky stuff still manages to get through here and there.

And then there's the considerable issue of dealing with such a thick layer of wood chips while planting/transplanting, which (in my case, at least) tends to preclude small/closely spaced crops such as carrot, radish, turnip, beet, lettuce, etc., which tend to favor loose soil in prepared beds. As the wood chips break down however, and presuming I finally get around to planting a late summer/early fall tillage crop of minowase daikon radish, my densely packed sandy loam lawn soil should gradually become increasingly light/loose, rich and fertile, without any need for tilling and its attendant disadvantages. It's been a hard slog, but for better or worse I'm convinced that this initial investment in considerable inconvenience and additional effort will pay off in the long run.

Good plan. Cutting (burning) holes in weed fabric for seeds/seedlings will control weeds far more effectively than planting in gaps between sheets.

Once you've introduced your boy to the joys of munching in the garden, he'll be hooked for life.

9. Back To Top    #59

.... It's great having him help, he loves planting seeds and hopefully it gets him eating a wider variety of vegetables of he's growing them as well.
    Watching this video the other day I thought you might enjoy it too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AllTcLmoDys

10. Back To Top    #60

06/06

Relocated eight remaining perennial herb plants from garden to new ornamental/herb garden area. As normal, freshly transplanted fennel plants looking droopy and sad. Like the others, they too will perk up in a day or two.

Name:	IMG_1792.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	7.78 MB 
ID:	11686

06/07

Remaining eight cherry tomato seedlings transplanted into garden (finally!). Culled one of the two earlier transplanted cherry tomato plants, due to unidentified pest/disease issue, and replaced it with one of the eight, for a total of nine Chadwick Cherry Tomato plants.

Name:	IMG_1796.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	7.70 MB 
ID:	11687

With all the herb plants relocated, there's an unobstructed path between the fence and tomato plants. Nice!

Name:	IMG_1797.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	6.34 MB 
ID:	11688