Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

1. Back To Top    #91

Re: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

Quote Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
    Hey I just noticed you said you were in south central VT? I am in southern vermont just below manchester and i have so may tomato plants and other things started from seeds in just about every bedroom in my house. Just rebuilt all my raised beds and if it would warm up a little here i would get them outside to plant. I will take some pictures when my wife wakes up.
    I'm near Springfield.

Nice, it's amazing what can be accomplished with a few south-facing windows.

Last average frost date for this region is may 19, and I used to go by that, but I've learned that it's a bit cooler at my location. Last year, a frost on June 1 killed all the squash, pumpkin, melon and cucumber plants, and badly damaged 1/3 of the pepper plants. So, this year I plan to wait until June 1 or thereabouts and then see how the forecast looks for the coming week or two. Tomatoes seem heartier in that regard, so I'll probably start getting some of those in the ground in the last week of May, and maybe some of the larger pepper plants too, as I have quite a few more of both than I really need (71 tomato plants and 90 pepper plants). Due to past experience with insects and frost, I've found it's best to sow squash, pumpkin, melon and cucumber seeds directly into the garden, after all of the tomato and pepper seedlings have been transplanted.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    We're not here for any reason.

2. Back To Top    #92

Re: Grinder's no-till vegetable garden

It has been a busy five weeks since my last garden update. Here are the highlights:

05/13
    Seedlings outside for the first time.

NOTE: Iíve been wanting to begin getting the seedlings outside for a couple/few weeks now, but weather has been too cold, wet and/or windy. With the growth of new leaves on nearby trees, the plants have become increasingly leggy and pale from inadequate light. Also, I regret having decided not to add any organic mycorrhizae fertilizer and composted cow manure to the potting soil this year, and the majority of this yearís seedlings look substantially malnourished compared to those of the last couple years. I will not make that mistake again. Also, next year I need to start all of the seeds even later than I did this year: perhaps one or two weeks later for the peppers and oregano, two or three weeks later for the tomatoes, and three or four weeks later for the basil.

05/24
    Preparing to begin transplanting first seedlings into garden. Homemade car-audio-based boombox in the background (Polk Audio DB651s, Skar IX-8 sub + Kicker GR80 grille, Rockford Fosgate R400-4D, EVGA 700 B1 pc power supply, and FiiO FX1221 media player).

First eighteen (of seventy-four) tomato seedlings in the ground (counterclockwise from gate), beginning with the larger ones in medium pots.

05/25
    Fifteen more tomato seedlings transplanted into garden (eleven down the center, and four more continuing counterclockwise from gate).

05/26
    Twelve more tomato seedlings transplanted into garden (continuing counterclockwise from gate).

05/27
    Seventeen more tomato seedlings transplanted into garden (continuing counterclockwise).

05/28
    First eleven (of ninety) pepper seedlings transplanted into garden.

Final twelve (of seventy-four) tomato seedlings transplanted into garden (eleven, continuing counterclockwise all the way back to gate; and one more along the center). Seventy-four tomato plants sounds like a lot, and absolutely it is. However, I purposely started a lot more seeds than needed, planning to cull all but the heartiest 40, but then I could only bring myself to cull a few puny and deformed ones. And then there was the combination of last yearís leaf blight and mixed results from unfamiliar varieties. So, Iím hedging my bets again this year, with even more plants of unfamiliar varieties, hoping that one or more varieties turns out to be a winner. Rear view of car-audio-based boombox.

06/02
    Twenty more pepper seedlings transplanted into garden. Large volunteer sunflower seedling growing from mound behind metal stake at center-left.

Remaining seedlings to transplant. Small volunteer sunflower seedling growing beside metal stake at right.

06/03
    Twenty-one more pepper seedlings transplanted into garden.

06/04
    Twenty more pepper seedlings transplanted into garden.

06/05
    Final eighteen (of ninety) pepper seedlings transplanted into garden.

06/06
    Eighteen Genovese Basil and ten Lime Aromatic Basil seedlings transplanted into garden (two of the former and one of the latter transplanted outside of the rows shown in the second image). Seven Greek Oregano seedlings to be transplanted into herb/flower gardens in a few days.

Will soon begin sowing squash, pumpkin, cucumber, melon and bean seeds. Maybe one or more other items as well.
    We're not here for any reason.