Thread: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/8.4" Uconnect

1. Back To Top    #81
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Re: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/8.4" Uconnect

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    How exactly did you do the splicing? I purchased the harness from Maestro aCH4 to use as a T-harness for splicing and remove that Active Noise crap. iDatalink Maestro aCH4

I was told there wasn't a harness available for the Alpine (9 channel) amp, so I ended up tapping into the output harness wires. I did use bullet connectors so that way I can easily go back to stock if I ever decide to sell/trade-in the truck and remove the aftermarket equipment.

Ok that's good to know. I wasn't sure if it would be better to just leave it off, or cut and put as much back on as possible.
    I cut what I needed too and put it back. There's still some sound deadening properties (big piece of MLV on the back of it) that's always good to reuse if possible.

2. Back To Top    #82
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So yeah, you guys were right. Took that carpet piece off to take measurements and apply some dampener. Didn't get a chance to put it or the rear seats back in, and this morning's ride to work... wow.

Will definitely have to get that piece put back and the seats back in ASAP.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #83
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    So yeah, you guys were right. Took that carpet piece off to take measurements and apply some dampener. Didn't get a chance to put it or the rear seats back in, and this morning's ride to work... wow.

Will definitely have to get that piece put back and the seats back in ASAP.
    It definitely makes a difference, especially when you deactivate/de-pin the ANC microphones.

4. Back To Top    #84
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

"How exactly did you do the splicing? I purchased the harness from Maestro aCH4 to use as a T-harness for splicing and remove that Active Noise crap."

I checked with PAC and they didn't have an amp T-harness created yet for the 5th Gen Ram 1500 w/Alpine system, so that's why I had to cut into the OEM harness. I would have preferred not to go that route, but it's done and I can't go back now. LOL!

5. Back To Top    #85

Hi! Another local AZ guy here (Gilbert/Mesa) and my first post. First, great install! Second, I like your choice in gear - as I have pretty much the same sitting in a closet for my 2015 Grand Cherokee that I'm going to start my build on soon (Alpine V9, F4, PAC & PXE0850s w/optical out - also an M12 I'm not sure if I'm going to need).

I do have a question regarding your DSP, is there a reason you went with the Chinese version? I know the chip in these is one that can do real center channel processing, only that isn't an available option on the US versions. I was curious to see if maybe it's a function available in the Chinese versions (since they were out a few years there first before it released in the US) and this is why you went that route. Or, another reason?

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #86
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Hi! Another local AZ guy here (Gilbert/Mesa) and my first post. First, great install! Second, I like your choice in gear - as I have pretty much the same sitting in a closet for my 2015 Grand Cherokee that I'm going to start my build on soon (Alpine V9, F4, PAC & PXE0850s w/optical out - also an M12 I'm not sure if I'm going to need).

I do have a question regarding your DSP, is there a reason you went with the Chinese version? I know the chip in these is one that can do real center channel processing, only that isn't an available option on the US versions. I was curious to see if maybe it's a function available in the Chinese versions (since they were out a few years there first before it released in the US) and this is why you went that route. Or, another reason?

Thanks!
    Welcome aboard, JPinAZ! Please be sure to post up on the Phoenix Meet-up thread here. We're always welcoming new guests to join us every 3rd Saturday of the month! https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...a-Area-Meetups

To be honest, I was not aware that my version of the PXE-0850S has the ability to up-mix for center-channel processing. I know the US software version does not have this ability enabled. Maybe the Chinese version does?? I'll have to do more reading up.

I purchased the Chinese version because at the time, it was $200 less than what I could get it here in the US. That's the only reason I went that route. LOL!

Thanks for your kind words! This project has definitely been a labor or love, but I am far from finished. I have noise-floor issue to fix (buzzing at higher volumes) and also a sharp dip around 150hz with my mid-bass I am hoping I can EQ up a bit to address.

Next part of the project is to deaden the doors correctly and fabricate some new baffles for the 6x9s in each door.

Chris

7. Back To Top    #87
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Well, it all comes down to what your goals are. Are you going for SQ only or SQL? If the later, then I'd say using the M12 in place of the sub-output of the V9 will be a better route to go. If you're only going for SQ, then keep in mind, 500watts is normally plenty to put towards the sub-stage unless you're planning on going all out with your front-stage volume!

I have 2-V9s, so I'm using 4 channels bridged to 2 for my mid-bass, then another 2 channels for my mid/tweet coaxials in the dash (200 x 2 midbass; 100 x 2 mid/tweet). Each of the sub out is running to 2 ID8s wired in 2ohm loads (500 x 2 subs). I have my rear speakers and center connected to the PXE-0850S, but not using the center at the moment, and only have the rear-fill turned up barely so that I can hear my back-up camera sensor warning chime.

If you plan on going 3-way active, using a separate mid-bass, mid-range, and tweeter, then I would use 4 channels of your V9 to drive your mid-range and tweets; bridge your F4 to 2 channels for your mid-bass; then use your V9 sub out to either a 10" or 12" in a sealed enclosure. This will result in a nice balance I believe.

8. Back To Top    #88

Quote Originally Posted by cueball981 View Post
    Welcome aboard, JPinAZ! Please be sure to post up on the Phoenix Meet-up thread here. We're always welcoming new guests to join us every 3rd Saturday of the month! https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...a-Area-Meetups
    Thanks! I think I was on the thread in the 'other forum' but will check out the one here as well.

To be honest, I was not aware that my version of the PXE-0850S has the ability to up-mix for center-channel processing. I know the US software version does not have this ability enabled. Maybe the Chinese version does?? I'll have to do more reading up.
    Back when it was announced that it was coming to the states, there was a thread on the other forum with gut shots of the china version showing the chipset of our DSP uses and it had either Dolby or DTS printed on the chipsert. Obviously, it's not enabled for US, but there was some speculation that maybe it's utilized in a different firmware overseas. There was no solid conclusion on this. I'm at work right now and don't have time to look it up. But, there is a thread dedicated to this DSP on DIYMA with the gutshot.

If you plan on going 3-way active, using a separate mid-bass, mid-range, and tweeter, then I would use 4 channels of your V9 to drive your mid-range and tweets; bridge your F4 to 2 channels for your mid-bass; then use your V9 sub out to either a 10" or 12" in a sealed enclosure. This will result in a nice balance I believe.
    Yes, this is very close to my plan if going with with the V9 and F4 for a SQ build.
    I already have AF 6x9's for the front that would be getting bridged channels off of one of the amps. And then TB bamboo 3" that I was going to run wideband off of another 2 channels - with the idea that I could add tweeters later if I found something lacking and run with off the remaining channels, or off 2 channels of the 0850. But without the tweeters, that would leave me 2 channels from one of the amps unused, same as you are sitting currently. I was aslo planning to to use some channels of the 0850 for rear fill as well. (sound familiar? haha)
    And finally, use the sub channel from the v9 to run single Polk SR12 I have had sitting around (but I'm thinking this will probably will leave it a bit underpowered with just the v9 sub output)

But I've been toying with other ideas..
    Option 2: use the F4 for the front stages (120x4 birthsheet to drive 3" and 6x9), skip the v9, and use the M12 with gains matched for the Polk 12. I'm thinking that still should be enough power for the 6x9s at 120x2 and let me drive the SR12 fully.
    Option 3: start with only the v9 and see if I'm happy with that as it will be the simplest.
    Option 4: just say screw it, sell the sub, the F4 and the M12 now and just get another v9 like you have and buy 2 10's and call it a day. I can do this following option 3

Oh the struggles of SQ life lol
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 02-25-2020 at 10:36 AM.

9. Back To Top    #89
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

So, figured out the volume issue. PAC AmpPro allows one to set the minimum volume in the programming. Now I don't have to turn the volume up to 90% to be at a decent volume. So what was outputting at volume 32 (out of 38) is now 25 out of 38. Much better!

Still need to figure out the noise floor issue at high volumes though. More troubleshooting to come!

10. Back To Top    #90
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That is great info to know!!!
    Are you not entertained?!?!