Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/8.4" Uconnect

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/8.4" Uconnect

That looks really nice. Sorry to hear about the first box. I actually took the UPS tour back in 03 when applying for a job there and saw how they treat their packages. "United Package Smashers" is a really fitting name for them. Considering how hard they push the workers especially during the holidays they really don't have time to be dainty.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    That looks really nice. Sorry to hear about the first box. I actually took the UPS tour back in 03 when applying for a job there and saw how they treat their packages. "United Package Smashers" is a really fitting name for them. Considering how hard they push the workers especially during the holidays they really don't have time to be dainty.
    Thanks, Hillbilly! Pictures don't really do this enclosure justice. The box is so well-made and the air space is just right for the 4 ID8s. 1000 watts gives me enough headroom too push them beyond what my ears can stand without distorting due to mechanical limits. I'm really impressed with how well these V9s control the subs! I've played a variety of music through them and all of it sounds amazing. I believe I chose the right subs to partner with the V9s.

We'll see how well the JBL GTO 6x9s in the doors, and 3.5"s in the dash do with some more power going to them. I'm giving lots of headroom to those as well. My plan is to drive the center (3.5"), rear doors (6x9), and rear headliner (3.5") off of the PXE-0850S. I'll sum both channels 1 & 2 for the center channel; starting with 60% on each and then tune from there. I figure if I need to dial back the front door and dash speakers a bit to blend a bit better, I can do just that. Hard to turn up the center and rear with only 18-25watts...easier to dial down from 100-200watts.

As far as UPS goes, I get it that they drive their employees super hard, but we're still spending a lot of money for them to care for and deliver our packages in good condition. Doesn't excuse the mistreatment of packages. If I had both the person or persons and their supervisor in front of me, I'd punch them in the face out of principle...just saying.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Looks good Chris! Even better in person!
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Looks good Chris! Even better in person!
    Thanks so much for the kind words, Justin! I'm pretty proud of how it's turning out. Wiring is always the hard part for me, and this truck definitely wasn't the exception. LOL! Learning a few thing too this time around. Great to have such knowledgeable folks like Justin and you in the area!

Great meeting you in person and thank you for demoing yours! You've done an amazing job! I only hope mine will have a fraction of the clarity yours exhibits! I'll then be happy!

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Finished hooking up the front-stage outputs to the stock wiring harness. Gotta say, much more dynamic now that the speakers have some clean power going through them. I also began tuning by setting the crossovers and time alignment. Found some nasty rattles I'll have to address soon. Install is almost complete!

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Been a few weeks since I posted any updates. I am close to finishing with the back-wall and amp rack. Have a few more wiring issues to take care of, then I can finally reinstall the back seats.

Playing around a bit with the cross-overs and time-alignment, I can honestly say I can't tell that I'm using coaxials instead of components. I believe the location of my dash speakers has a lot to do with the drivers imaging rather nicely.

So, for those of you looking for sound quality on a budget, and also driving a new Ram 1500, I can vouch for the now-discontinued JBL GTO series speakers. They are clean, loud, and quite honestly the best bargain I've come across in a very very long time!

The Frostbite sealed enclosure with 4 ID8s blends so well with the 6x9s in the doors. Right now I'm crossing them at 80Hz/24db. The 6x9s are 80-250Hz, and the 3.5s are 250-20000Hz. I have a looong way to go with tuning, but I'm liking what I'm hearing already!

Hope to have some final pictures up by the end of this upcoming weekend! Well, that is until I can finish deadening the doors, which I plan to do sometime next month.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Hello again! I was finally able to fix my wiring issue this past weekend. I now have no popping issues upon start-up. Woot! Furthermore, I've decided to run optical 2ch out instead of 6ch of RCAs. The noise floor difference is night and day. Absolutely ZERO hiss running optical. Sure, I lose fading abilities, but I'm okay with this since I'm really only running a front-stage + sub.

Still have some deadening to do in the rear-right corner, behind the plastic panels (C-pillar), but getting very close to reinstalling the rear seats. Last part of the install will focus on deadening all 4 doors completely including beefing up the baffles the 6x9s mount to.

Here's a couple of shots showing the back trim panel installed after I had to cut some spots for it to fit around the amp rack. I'm debating running more MLV along the back wall. I'm thinking I'll save the material for the doors. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Wall with OEM Panel 3.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	9086

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Awesome update! Glad to hear you are enjoying optical as well, that is the route I'm planning with our 2019 Ram too

I do agree, might be better to save some of that material for the doors. Doubt you are doing anything more beneficial on the rear cab wall, except maybe eliminating more road noise or exhaust drone.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #39

I'm not caught up on this thread, but I also recently switched from 6-channel RCAs to an optical connection - and I agree that the noise floor "hiss" reduction is awesome. However, in my case (using an AmpPro 4 in my 2018 Challenger), I found that the optical output level from the AmpPro was pretty low - and was able to boost it by 8.5dB on the input side of my Helix DSP.3 (it seems that Doug from MSC does the same thing) - which allowed me to lower my amp gains even more. Just a heads-up in case anyone uses an AmpPro optical output with a Helix (not sure if other DSP's allow you to boost the optical input signal or not).

You can also adjust the AmpPro output level on the AmpPro itself via the "minimum volume level" setting (or something like that). I used a combination of that and the Helix optical-in boost - so I still have a very quiet system on volume level "1" while also increasing the optical signal level in the Helix.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Jtrosky,

I noticed the same thing when I flipped the dip switch over to 2ch/optical. One thing I did notice though, is that optical out still works even if you don't flip the switch and seems to not lose as much output from the AmpPro. It's working so I'm leaving it be. Output for me is fine at the moment.