Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is car audio/DIY dying?

1. Back To Top    #41
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Re: Is car audio/DIY dying?

In Europe here is quite a big descent in car audio scene. Only in a few countries scene is still running strong - Germany, United Kingdom, Italy. If we look at the whole world not so different situation - I can see the same thing. USA is still strong (at least stronger than EU), far east is booming - very strong scene that is still growing fast.

The true car audio fanatics will always build our own systems no matter of what, but younger generation is at question here - Factory systems becoming better and better, no problems with optical integration, no need to invest big bucks......and some other things like - youngsters dont want to invest time to educate themselves on acoustic and fabricating, they dont have money to spent on car audio, they dont have skills, dont have willingness to work on their systems, they dont give a fuck for anything except for their phones and tablets......
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

2. Back To Top    #42
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiAudioGuy34 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input. What I've noticed is the enthusiasts claim that its "changing" while the people who work in the industry say its been slowing down significantly. I see both sides and think I'll quote the great Ben Stiller when he says...

"a little bit of both"
    It is a little bit of both. Part of it is the younger generation not having much interest. I have 2 kids with cars and neither of them care how good of an audio system they have. If at least 1 speaker works, good enough.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

This is from my experience ^^^ all they care about is whether or not their earbuds work for their iPhone.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #44
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Not sure we want car manufacturers putting in decks with optical outputs. If they do, they'll just use a proprietary codec and we'll be back to where we started.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    It is a little bit of both. Part of it is the younger generation not having much interest. I have 2 kids with cars and neither of them care how good of an audio system they have. If at least 1 speaker works, good enough.
    You should be happy they kept going after they got their phones ?

6. Back To Top    #46

Quote Originally Posted by LBaudio View Post
    In Europe here is quite a big descent in car audio scene. Only in a few countries scene is still running strong - Germany, United Kingdom, Italy. If we look at the whole world not so different situation - I can see the same thing. USA is still strong (at least stronger than EU), far east is booming - very strong scene that is still growing fast.

The true car audio fanatics will always build our own systems no matter of what, but younger generation is at question here - Factory systems becoming better and better, no problems with optical integration, no need to invest big bucks......and some other things like - youngsters dont want to invest time to educate themselves on acoustic and fabricating, they dont have money to spent on car audio, they dont have skills, dont have willingness to work on their systems, they dont give a fuck for anything except for their phones and tablets......
    I can understand some countries in the EU having a OK scene. The EU seems to be pretty well connected by train and a lot of cities have good bus/subway systems and I don't know about the car ownership rate or the daily drive/commute. I do know the vehicles tend to be designed a little bit smaller (in comparison to gas-guzzler SUV-land a.k.a USA) and hearing a lot about the millennial generation in the EU going through hard times (economic and employment) in certain countries I'd think car audio (or owning a car) would be pretty low on that list.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I'm currently facing car audio burnout myself. And I only live 5 miles from work and do mostly short hops around town. I do go trout fishing a couple times a month during the cooler months which is 3 hours round trip. But really, whether or not I install a system in my next vehicle is an unknown. As for DIY, some who used to DIY as a necessity are farming the work out to a trusted shop to get it done faster and better thanks to being blessed with the disposable funds to do so. Others have come to the point where they just don't want to mess with it anymore. With any hobby we have to ask ourselves if we truly enjoy what we do or are we just going through the motions out of habit? A few weeks back I asked myself why I put so much time and money into a truck I'm rarely in long enough to truly enjoy the system. My solution to that problem is to get into home audio. The truck sounds great for the amount of time and money I've put into it and could be better with a little more work. Too bad I can't justify doing much more to it "just because" and what's in it now will probably be what comes out of it when I get rid of the truck. If this truck goes from a daily to a tow rig that only gets a couple thousand miles a year on it I'll probably just return it to stock. IF I put a system in my next vehicle it will probably be just a simple 2-way front and small box sub. And just enough deadener in the doors let the woofers do their job without exciting the doors.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

@HIFI AUDIOGUY34:
    I belive that also American made cars are getting smaller, and you use more and more European meke cars (AUDI BMW VW, and a lot of Japanese cars like Hondas, Toyotas,...etc) Here in Europe is normal to have 2-3 or even more cars in family. In some countries fees on cars are killer (Norway,...)

problems with youngsters in EU, at least in my country is that they dont want to work for minimal wage, we older citizens must work until 60-65 which also present problem of not enough jobs,...this is also a problem, because youngsters can not or hardly manage to make own family/kids/own apartment.... we should be retired after 50-55 and go to earned pension, and youngsters should go to work after school/university and start live independant life
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

9. Back To Top    #49

Quote Originally Posted by LBaudio View Post
    @HIFI AUDIOGUY34:
    I belive that also American made cars are getting smaller, and you use more and more European meke cars (AUDI BMW VW, and a lot of Japanese cars like Hondas, Toyotas,...etc) Here in Europe is normal to have 2-3 or even more cars in family. In some countries fees on cars are killer (Norway,...)

problems with youngsters in EU, at least in my country is that they dont want to work for minimal wage, we older citizens must work until 60-65 which also present problem of not enough jobs,...this is also a problem, because youngsters can not or hardly manage to make own family/kids/own apartment.... we should be retired after 50-55 and go to earned pension, and youngsters should go to work after school/university and start live independant life
    yes american cars are getting smaller for the international market. for our domestic market they're getting bigger. the top selling (kinds) vehicles for around 10 years has been trucks and SUVs. Ford is cutting out their entire car offerings here in the USA and only producing trucks, SUVs, and the mustang. (google it)

I understand the youngsters across the pond don't want to work for minimum wage, for their entire lives they've probably been told to go to University and get a great job with benefits. Their parents probably wanted them to have a better life than themselves. Same thing here in the USA. But with the global economy slowing down, I hear the EU is slipping into a recession (German already in one) and all the banks over there doing a lot of questionable things (same in the USA). Its quite understandable why they're not living on their own or having children (same thing here in the USA. and we're SUPPOSEDLY the "richest" country in the world). The stock market has skyrocketed to all time highs, yet we have too many problems across the US (homelessness, decrease in life expectancy, opiod crises, wealth disparity, TERRIBLE infrastructure) its not even funny.

I've been seeing a LOT of chaos across the globe (South America, Europe, USA, Hong Kong, Middle East) most of it is due to economics. The same factors into why most of developed Western countries see an increase of their older population working later in life. Here in the USA millennials don't believe retirement plans will be there when we get older (Social security). The student debt (and all debt, credit cards, car loans, corporate debt etc.) is killing the next generation.

10. Back To Top    #50
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Car Audio will never die because there will always be people who will want to have great sound in their vehicles that will find a way to do that. The car audio seen is definitely changing though.

As far as the economy suffering and all this doom and gloom shit, well I don’t believe that for one second. Where I’m from the economy is actually exploding with growth, we have a laborer shortage with the lowest unemployment rate ever, and businesses around here are hiring with good paying jobs. If someone can’t get a job in today’s economy than it’s by choice or they are the most useless person in the world.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901