Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is car audio/DIY dying?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Is car audio/DIY dying?

It seems the car audio world should be petitioning and speaking to the automobile manufacturers and engineers to allow for easier integration. This might be way too simplified, but I would think a couple of factory optical outputs and some more flexibility with the factory headunits and aftermarket amps/dsp's would help close the gap between the two.

The industries seem to clash at times with there integration. Some of the car audio tech is stuck in the eighties and new cars are finally taking a step forward in giving people what they are already used to in other parts of there lives. USB, wifi, bluetooth, toslink, voice command etc. Half of the aftermarket audio industry is trying to embrace it, the rest seems to resist it.

I know I'm too much of an optimist at times, but the industries should try to meet more in the middle. Or at least car audio needs to keep up. There is less and less of a reason to have to pull my dash apart to plug 3 fucking wires in, just to get an amp running, instead of having connectability in other places in the vehicle. Its just a turn off with how much work needs to be done, for something pretty simple. Make installation of basic upgrades doable for the average Joe and the hobby will come roaring back. Just a rambling opinion though.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Hell, even if they would put a couple of sets of clean RCA's on the back, it would be a welcome change. Getting OEMs on board would be an uphill battle. They have no interest in people altering the electrical system at all.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #23

Car audio is so incredibly dated IMO. Can't believe we don't have 1080p double DIN headunits as a minimum. At the very least, 720p.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Yes, tough to call a head unit an upgrade, when $1000 spent, still requires you to purchase hundreds of dollars of modules, wire kits, dash kits (that look like garbage more often than not). Just to be able to keep what the vehicle came with from the dealership. Never mind the increasingly difficult dashboard install.

It presents itself as a rip off and leaves install shops trying to convince the novice that all this stuff is necessary to properly install the gear.

"Wow, $500 for a sweet deck"
    "Plus $175 for wire/dash kits"......oh ok.
    "And of course $150 for the actual install and labour"......hmmm.
    "Also, you won't be able to keep your chimes and backup camera"........pass!

A little sarcastic, but not too far from the truth. ;-)

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    Yes, tough to call a head unit an upgrade, when $1000 spent, still requires you to purchase hundreds of dollars of modules, wire kits, dash kits (that look like garbage more often than not). Just to be able to keep what the vehicle came with from the dealership. Never mind the increasingly difficult dashboard install.

It presents itself as a rip off and leaves install shops trying to convince the novice that all this stuff is necessary to properly install the gear.

"Wow, $500 for a sweet deck"
    "Plus $175 for wire/dash kits"......oh ok.
    "And of course $150 for the actual install and labour"......hmmm.
    "Also, you won't be able to keep your chimes and backup camera"........pass!

A little sarcastic, but not too far from the truth. ;-)
    In addition to this situation

IF They agree to all the above as in
    "ok all of that is understandable. Lets go ahead and get this installed" after explaining everything to them....

Check stock.... "oh and we have to order those parts it takes up to X (weeks or days) to get them in" OR "oh actually they don't make those parts for your specific car yet..." so we'll have to go this route...

Customer "so I can't get this stereo installed yet, or maybe not at all?"

You: "yeah, you can still get subs installed but lose XYZ functionality"

Customer "thanks.... let me think about it...."

6. Back To Top    #26
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

I think they will move towards a phone plan type set-up .
    The HU is $165.00 with all modules installed . . . As long as we get paid each month . . . ( Sirius and this , and this . . . $125.00 )

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    It seems the car audio world should be petitioning and speaking to the automobile manufacturers and engineers to allow for easier integration. This might be way too simplified, but I would think a couple of factory optical outputs and some more flexibility with the factory headunits and aftermarket amps/dsp's would help close the gap between the two.

The industries seem to clash at times with there integration. Some of the car audio tech is stuck in the eighties and new cars are finally taking a step forward in giving people what they are already used to in other parts of there lives. USB, wifi, bluetooth, toslink, voice command etc. Half of the aftermarket audio industry is trying to embrace it, the rest seems to resist it.

I know I'm too much of an optimist at times, but the industries should try to meet more in the middle. Or at least car audio needs to keep up. There is less and less of a reason to have to pull my dash apart to plug 3 fucking wires in, just to get an amp running, instead of having connectability in other places in the vehicle. Its just a turn off with how much work needs to be done, for something pretty simple. Make installation of basic upgrades doable for the average Joe and the hobby will come roaring back. Just a rambling opinion though.
    If you think this is even a possibility, I'm gunna need whatever drugs you're on lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Nick

For you guys who are worried about getting a new car and not being able to out a system in as easily.. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE HAND. I cannot even tell you how many people tell me "yeah I got this car with the base model system so itll be easier to integrate into", meanwhile it's actually harder. A lot of newer cars have interfaces available. Even some of the spdif hyundais and Kia's are about to have interfaces available. Feel free to shoot me a message if you need help choosing or need help integrating with a car you already have.

9. Back To Top    #29

As many have already said; I don't believe the car audio industry is dying... but it is definitely changing.

Car manufacturers aren't just sticking some shitty casette deck in a vehicle anymore... it's all integrated with navigation, bluetooth, etc.
    From this perspective; car audio is becoming more specialized and complicated to integrate.
    The learning curve is steep (and can be intimidating), so some folks get scared away quicker than in days past.

The other issue is the way we purchase things online nowadays. Amazon is massively successful, and department stores are going bankrupt.
    People have access to information, like never before. This includes price comparisons. It also offers access to worldwide products, right at their fingertips.
    This isn't to say there isn't value in the retail audio shop... but it does require most shops to focus on installations, in order to be commercially viable.
    There isn't a lot of profit in reselling audio gear...
    New Car... Stock Stereo

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Tacoma

Is car audio/DIY dying?

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    If you think this is even a possibility, I'm gunna need whatever drugs you're on lol

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF....hey nick have a conference call with all the automobile engineers and let them know us here in the SQ world “demand easy integration”...LOL..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk