Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is car audio/DIY dying?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is car audio/DIY dying?

It seems that with newer cars being more integrated with more technology and better (for the average person) components does it seem like car audio is slowly dying?

a lot of car audio shops have been closing in my state and Best Buy has been shrinking its car audio area in all of my local stores.

With the factory H/U and integration of technology with factory systems it seems like the majority of people only replace components once they fail and it costs an arm&leg to replace it.

Overall it seems like the entire consumer industry (not only car audio) is going from user DIY/Fix to manufacturer OEM service with specific tools (apple's proprietary pentalobe screws) and oddly shaped OEM H/U's making it harder to upgrade.

With automation and autonomous driving cars just on the horizon, do you think the future of car audio will be dead?

Thinking in terms of a future where you don't even own a car. Just Uber a Tesla and use bluetooth headphones for music and go about your day?

Sure there will be a smaller part of the population still driving their old cars but eventually they will be phased out (designed obsolescence).

What do you guys think?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Is car audio/DIY dying?

I hope not...or else I picked the wrong time to start a car audio forum

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Nick

Car audio as the typical forum goer knows it is dying. But the car audio market is fine, but changing. Basic systems are being phased out due to complex oem systems and the need for more advanced integration. This is causing an upswing in the dsp and integration market. The unfortunate truth for diy guys is they cant just learn this stuff on the weekend, so to some it may seem to be dying.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I hope not...or else I picked the wrong time to start a car audio forum

LOL yeah but hey, better late than never.

I think the future for any DIY enthusiast will be a very narrow or niche subject. Too many youngsters are not extremely technical when it comes to fixing/doing anything.

With companies "going green" recycling/trade-in rather than repair and just throw-it-away and buy a new one since its so "cheap" the market is shifting.

I was raised with DIY in mind to save money and to learn how to do things myself. I also work on my own car mechanically (to the best of my ability). But with helping friends and family with newer cars I just don't have the "expertise" or specific tools to do so and making a mistake can be EXTREMELY time consuming and costly.

I've been learning about computers recently (laptops to be more specific) and they are starting to manufacture them with non-replaceable parts (soldered on). If something fails you have to take it to the manufacturer to fix or replace the laptop itself. Even smartphones have shifted from removable back covers and batteries to glued on glass and metal and they glue the batteries into the phone as well.

On YouTube there are popular DIY channels that point out these things but the manufacturers seemingly just keep designing pieces of metal and glass that cannot be dismantled easily.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

The money in your pocket would make them happier if it was in their pocket.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    The money in your pocket would make them happier if it was in their pocket.
    For sure, its the way the whole industry and world is coming to. I guess its either Pitchforks or popcorn take your pick.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Corolla

I attend informal get togethers of car audio types a few times a month and from what I see there are a lot of younger guys out there who are interested in learning and doing. Most own cars that are a few years old which are easier to modify/work on but there are a couple of fellows with 2019 vehicles. IMO the interest is there and all it takes is opportunity.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donanon View Post
    I attend informal get togethers of car audio types a few times a month and from what I see there are a lot of younger guys out there who are interested in learning and doing. Most own cars that are a few years old which are easier to modify/work on but there are a couple of fellows with 2019 vehicles. IMO the interest is there and all it takes is opportunity.
    Thats really cool to see younger people into the car audio world. They definitely have a uphill battle when it comes to learning about DIY installation (which IMO the harder it is, the more likely they are to be discouraged and give up) especially when younger people want instant gratification and things to be either easy or just done for them.

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't think car audio is dying. There are still car audio shops everywhere I go. Contrast that to home audio stores. There used to be a lot back in the day. Now there are none or almost none. Also, look at all the newer car audio companies that have started in the past 10 years. Times are changing though. OEM systems have gotten pretty decent nowadays where that wasn't the case 30 years ago. And car audio on the average is much cheaper and better than in days past. You used to have to pay top dollar for good/reliable equipment before. I can buy a decent system now for what a great amp cost 30 yrs ago. Cars have gotten smaller. The avg car can't accomodate the awesome AB amps and equipment from decades ago unless you're doing a higher end install with modifications etc. But no, I don't see car audio dying.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

The interest is still there. The knowledge can be a little tougher to find, but like Skiz said, most of that is due to quickly changing conditions in the market. Between CarAudioFabrication, EXOContralto, SteveMeade, 5star and several others, Youtube has been a massive tool to help the hobby survive and even thrive again. Each of those youtubers are between 350,000-500,000 subscribers, and essentially do nothing but installation and review videos - not too shabby for a "niche" hobby.

I honestly feel like there is a whole new wave of car audio fans, like me (even though I'm 37), just looking for reliable and digestible information, as well as, a fun, supportive place like these forums to ask "dumb" questions. This place has also opened my eyes to how wide of a range of people love the hobby. You will meet a little bit of everything in the car audio world. Lol.

I think another positive sign for the industry is how many successful companies are out there, exclusively selling car audio upgrades. More speakers, amplifiers, sound deadening, DSP's etc. than ever before. It seems to me that the entire industry is beginning to gel once again.

Just my two cents though.