Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phonecalls drastically quieter than music

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Phonecalls drastically quieter than music

I just don't see how, if the bluetooth is playing thru the headunit, and the DSP is only seeing signal from the headunit, the DSP would be muting the sound. The only thing I can figure out is that the music is stereo and maybe the phone call is mono. If both channels is playing a mono signal, you could be getting cancellation.

Here's an experiment, try muting one side and making a call to see if it's louder.

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I just don't see how, if the bluetooth is playing thru the headunit, and the DSP is only seeing signal from the headunit, the DSP would be muting the sound. The only thing I can figure out is that the music is stereo and maybe the phone call is mono. If both channels is playing a mono signal, you could be getting cancellation.

Here's an experiment, try muting one side and making a call to see if it's louder.
    Yea, I am befuddled too. Makes zero sense to me, but your theory of the phone call being mono is plausible! I'll have to check it out.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I had this happen with my Pioneer headunit. Turns out it only outputs phone calls out the front outputs so in my system only the speakers routed to the front inputs in the Helix (dash mids and tweets) work with phone calls. In my Grand Cherokee the center speaker did a lot of heavy lifting for calls so when I was just using line out calls via Bluetooth were pointless. Not sure if my experiences will be of any help but they're worth mentioning to maybe get the ideas flowing...

I am using the L/R front line level outputs of the Pioneer head unit only in the Helix. My previous system using the Hertz H8 DSP had no issues at all. I even turned up the navigation volume on the head unit with n effect. Pretty weird issue. I may troubleshoot more this weekend as the weather up here is supposed to be reasonable to work in my garage. The only change was to the helix processor/amp combo. The Pioneer is connected in exactly the same way with no new adjustments at all.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Have you tried turning up the output gains on the Helix? Sounds like you just need to balance things out with gain structure in a give and take type of situation.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #15

Just ordered parts to put in a Kenwood 9906XR in my Accord so hopefully the phonecall issue will be addressed there. I checked my settings again, and my phone volume is maxed already.
    2014 Honda Accord LX

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

No reason it shouldn't. Use the mic that comes with the Kenwood. This way you are eliminating your car factory system completely. And use it with carplay or android auto, whichever phone you use. With this setup, you'll be able to get up to 24/48 sampling with streaming music, too, if you use Tidal Hifi or Amazon HD. That's cd quality with a streaming service. Definitely worth it over standard 320kbps streaming.

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    No reason it shouldn't. Use the mic that comes with the Kenwood. This way you are eliminating your car factory system completely. And use it with carplay or android auto, whichever phone you use. With this setup, you'll be able to get up to 24/48 sampling with streaming music, too, if you use Tidal Hifi or Amazon HD. That's cd quality with a streaming service. Definitely worth it over standard 320kbps streaming.
    Yea, I gotta figure out a place to put the mic. Was hoping to not have to put it in front of the speedo panel. I usually stream over Spotify, and I am installing the HU for the sole purpose of getting Android Auto!
    2014 Honda Accord LX

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post

you would then get no centre information as that is identical on both left and right as it’s effectively mono also

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Yea, I gotta figure out a place to put the mic. Was hoping to not have to put it in front of the speedo panel. I usually stream over Spotify, and I am installing the HU for the sole purpose of getting Android Auto!
    You can run the wire up the a-pillar and tuck it behind your headliner to install around your sun visor/rear view mirror or mount to the steering wheel column. They're pretty small. Most of the time I forget the mic is on my steering wheel column. For the GPS I installed it in the center front of my dash and tucked the wire in the window gasket then behind the dash where a-pillar is. If you want video to work while moving, install the parking switch wire to ground instead. And to get steering wheel controls to work you'll need an iDatalink Maestro.

Once you have it set up, you should try Tidal HiFi or Amazon HD trial. I've used both and as far as Android Auto, Amazon app does better. Both have their problems. But Amazon at least consistently picks up where you left off. With Tidal I had to restart the playlist every time I got in the car.

You should notice quite a difference going from compressed 320Kbps Spotify to lossless cd quality 16/44.1 1000+Kbps for all songs and master/ultra HD songs up to 24/48 3000+ Kbps (the android auto connection will limit it to 24/48 instead of up to 24/192).
    Last edited by jrwalte; 01-14-2020 at 09:53 AM.