Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonecalls drastically quieter than music

1. Back To Top    #1

Phonecalls drastically quieter than music

I've had problems with phonecalls being insanely quiet ever since I installed my Helix DSP so I suspect it has something to do with routing. I don't recall if the phonecall audio was only sent to the rear speakers during the OEM setup, but it's what happens now. I do have my phonecall volume maxed out on my Honda head unit (30) whereas I can put my music volume to like 16 and listen comfortably.

Is there like an additional audio routing that needs to be done to send phonecalls to the front speakers as well? My bluetooth phone call audio is pretty much unusable at this point.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phonecalls drastically quieter than music

I have noticed the exact same thing. I am curious if others have noticed this as well. What makes it odd is I am using line level out (L/R) 2 channel out of my pioneer front end to my Helix. I have no other inputs into my Helix so the music and the voice audio share the same input path. The audio level for voice calls is way down compared to any music source.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    I have noticed the exact same thing. I am curious if others have noticed this as well. What makes it odd is I am using line level out (L/R) 2 channel out of my pioneer front end to my Helix. I have no other inputs into my Helix so the music and the voice audio share the same input path. The audio level for voice calls is way down compared to any music source.
    Dang, that makes it a little worrisome that the problem still persists even when you use an aftermarket headunit. Do you have a buried headunit or have you replaced the factory headunit altogether?

And then is your volume lower because it's not going to the fronts or is lowered across all speakers?
    2014 Honda Accord LX

4. Back To Top    #4
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

My father-in-law had a vehicle that would lower the volume when he applied the brake [ he passed away in 2000 ] .
    20 years later , what would impress me is the phone/CD/DVD/USB etc.., whatever , came through my system @ the level I decide ! Real signal control !

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Is the phone connecting directly to the Helix via bluetooth, or is it still going thru the radio?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I had this happen with my Pioneer headunit. Turns out it only outputs phone calls out the front outputs so in my system only the speakers routed to the front inputs in the Helix (dash mids and tweets) work with phone calls. In my Grand Cherokee the center speaker did a lot of heavy lifting for calls so when I was just using line out calls via Bluetooth were pointless. Not sure if my experiences will be of any help but they're worth mentioning to maybe get the ideas flowing...
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Has anyone tried turning up the volume on their phone during a call?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    Has anyone tried turning up the volume on their phone during a call?
    Yes, it's maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Is the phone connecting directly to the Helix via bluetooth, or is it still going thru the radio?
    Directly through the radio.
    2014 Honda Accord LX

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Which Honda do you have? Does it have a center channel?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Which Honda do you have? Does it have a center channel?
    2014 Accord LX. I highly doubt it has a center channel. I did not have this problem before I installed the Helix DSP (direct into amps), so I suspect it is related to the DSP.
    2014 Honda Accord LX