Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking Stock Headunit For Clipping Not Working Out

1. Back To Top    #1

Checking Stock Headunit For Clipping Not Working Out

Hi all, so here’s my issue. I have a 2018 Subaru STI with the base audio system and I’m running all 4 high level speaker inputs into an LC7i then into an Arc Audio Amp. Everything is sounding real good but I need to find out where my headunit clips and then can set the gains on my amp. My headunit goes from 1 to 63 volume. I’m just assuming headunit clips about volume 47 just to be safe. I have a Liumy 2001 handheld oscilloscope and have 2 test tones 50hz -5db and 1000hz -5db. When hooked up to let’s say LF speaker leads out of headunit I’m not getting clipping on 50hz or 1000hz. It’s not a high end oscilloscope but it’s showing the voltage, freq and sine but it’s not showing a clip at any volume. I even tried the rear speaker leads just in case. I can take a video tomorrow when it’s daylight to show you the signal but as of now it’s not making sense.

Any any input would be awesome

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Checking Stock Headunit For Clipping Not Working Out

I read those but not sure it answered any of my issues.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Which way to go ? Anything else you can test to see if Oscope works ?
    Alpine hu's were known for not clipping ( CDA 7949 )

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately I don’t have anything else to test. I know the stock system distorts quickly on the stock speakers so I was sure it’s clipping but the sine wave is not really showing a soft clip or hard clip.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Any settings on o'scope that can be adjusted up or down ( voltage ).
    Is turning gain on amps up ( til you hear a difference @ a 1,000 hz ?
    You will hear a difference at a 1,000 hertz as you increase gains , I'd bet !

7. Back To Top    #7

Right now I’m not checking the amp strictly the headunit speaker leads. There’s an up/down on the scope which kind of zooms in and out but I just can’t seem to get it to perfect setting.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

OK

9. Back To Top    #9

try 0db tones, see if those clip.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Subydude81 View Post
    Hi all, so here’s my issue. I have a 2018 Subaru STI with the base audio system and I’m running all 4 high level speaker inputs into an LC7i then into an Arc Audio Amp. Everything is sounding real good but I need to find out where my headunit clips and then can set the gains on my amp. My headunit goes from 1 to 63 volume. I’m just assuming headunit clips about volume 47 just to be safe. I have a Liumy 2001 handheld oscilloscope and have 2 test tones 50hz -5db and 1000hz -5db. When hooked up to let’s say LF speaker leads out of headunit I’m not getting clipping on 50hz or 1000hz. It’s not a high end oscilloscope but it’s showing the voltage, freq and sine but it’s not showing a clip at any volume. I even tried the rear speaker leads just in case. I can take a video tomorrow when it’s daylight to show you the signal but as of now it’s not making sense.

Any any input would be awesome
    You definitely need to try 0db test tones. -3 db equates to half power, -6 db equates to 1/4 power, -5 db is very close to that, maybe 30% power. Try some 0 db tones, you can make your own with Audacity or Room Eq Wizard (REW).