Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tune #3

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Tune #3

Hi everyone, me again.

I called this thread tune #3, but in reality it is tune 20+. Lol. I am very, very happy to report that I think I am starting to figure this thing out. I did a full retune after work yesterday and though it sounded great. I was tired though and wanted to sleep on it. This morning I got in my truck and damn near shed a tear.....it sounded FUCKING AMAZING!! I mean it really blew my mind. I finally got the depth, width and tones right where I wanted them. Its crazy, my speakers disappeared and the instruments were so nicely spaced out across the dash. I couldn't believe it. I can't say its perfect, but if this tune was karate class, I think I earned my yellow belt today.

I have to give a huge shout out and thank you to dumdum!!! He was the first one I reached out to, but he deserves a ton of credit for his patience and approach-ability. Also, everyone on this forum who has been kind enough to give me suggestions and pass along some of the great knowledge and experience this place possesses. Thank you car audio junkies!

I included an image of some REW graphs. I have done some very slight tweeking since these, but no saved graphs yet. Like I said, its not perfectly on curve, but the tones and definition are far and away my best yet. I also realize that Helix has an auto tune feature that would give me similar results, but I really am trying to learn where, when and why the tuning works. It fun!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blockrockerSQ.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	8148

Edit: I should also mention that I have read the Audiofrog tuning guide cover to cover several times, and that thing is my new bible. I tune in a slightly different way, but the knowledge and explanations in that guide are second to none. Thank you to the gentleman who wrote that little beauty!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Tune #3

DumDum , is a Great Guy and the 20 hz - 50 hz is looking loud !

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Yeah, I use my bass knob to roll it down a bit on certain music. I'm a hard core basshead though and can't get enough of that pound!!
    I like my system to do all things. Lol!
    Thanks Queef!!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Nick

get a measurement of your whole front playing, your sub playing, and everything playing. It looks like theres a dip in your sub to midbass transition that could be a phase issue.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    get a measurement of your whole front playing, your sub playing, and everything playing. It looks like theres a dip in your sub to midbass transition that could be a phase issue.
    Yes, good eye Skiz. It is definitely my trouble spot. That top line following the curve is the whole system playing. My sub will not seemingly play past about 70 hertz, even with the crossover set at 100. Its very strange. So I have it x'd at 75 and the woofs at 85. I then have to bump up 70ish with my sub to fill the gap. I have played with the phase and TA of the sub to death - and can't figure it out. It sounds pretty good, but gets flat/quite at 80ish. Not terrible but noticeable.

I can try to post all my measurements in REW if you like.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

This is a pic of my sub playing crossed at 80 hz. As you can see it doesn't stay very loud after about 60ish. I think my box is lacking.....or I've got it too close to the back wall of my truck (port) and its causing it to cancel out or something?!?! A new box is almost definitely my first spring project. What do you make of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	8150

7. Back To Top    #7
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Try blocking port (put a towel in it ) take another graph

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Nick

Do you have some mondo spl sub that has an inductance higher than Big Al's age? If so, that's gunna pose a problem. I've run into it a few times and there is no getting those things to sound decent.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Haha! Its definitely an SPL sub, but I have put it in a custom SQ reflex box. I was hoping to get the best of both worlds from it, but maybe not.

Fi Audio BTL-3 15 inch, dual 2 voice coils.

https://ficaraudio.com/product/btl-3-series/

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Try blocking port (put a towel in it ) take another graph
    Sure Queef. I'm running an errand in a few minutes, but when I get home I will take some measurements and post. Cheers!