Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bang for the buck TOWER speakers

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Bang for the buck TOWER speakers

Look for a used set of VMPS Tower II or even better a set of ST/R. These are no longer made but a fantastic bargain and there are always some popping up somewhere. I've owned several different sets and still own a pair I bought back in 1993.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Thinking I'd prefer to buy new just so I know for a fact they haven't been abused. A lot of people don't have the experience we do to know when it's time to back off.

The more research I do the more indecisive I get. I do prefer the warm side of neutral with quick transients. The problem with my old Cerwin Vega's from my wild days is the uncoated paper midrange doesn't know when to start and stop on faster music and the poly tweeter lacks what my ears demand now. They were perfect 20 years ago when I was popping the slow blow fuses in them with Metallica and the likes. They shine for TV and movies so not sure if I really want to completely remove them from readily available service. Just the impact they have for pressurizing the room with powerful (but imperfect) sound. Makes me wonder if I should just save my money and go bookshelfs on top of the big coffins and get a good amp for this IDQ12v4 that I think is about as good as it gets for my tastes tonally. If it didn't need such a big box it would still be in my truck. Judging by the reviews I've seen the Wharfedale Diamond 225's seem to be what I'm looking for tonally. For a sub amp I'm thinking something along the lines of the big minidsp amp that does like 600rms bridged.

If you've read this far I really don't know what the hell I truly want. Just remember, warm side of neutral with quick transients.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

You could try your local Best Buy Magnolia room. They actually have a decent setup (at least the ones around ATL) to preview. They carry B&W, Definitive Tech, ELAC, KEF, Klipsch and MartinLogan.

4. Back To Top    #34

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Thinking I'd prefer to buy new just so I know for a fact they haven't been abused. A lot of people don't have the experience we do to know when it's time to back off.
    I am not sure that is at all true when it comes to high end home systems.
    i suspect that demographic is much more cautious than the mobile audio crowd.

if there is any crowd I would suspect abuses speakers it is the mobile audio crowd, and there is little evidence they know when to back off.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Take a look at Zu Audio Dirty Weekend, or for a bit of a budget stretch, the new KLH Kendall has been getting excellent reviews...
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    I am not sure that is at all true when it comes to high end home systems.
    i suspect that demographic is much more cautious than the mobile audio crowd.

if there is any crowd I would suspect abuses speakers it is the mobile audio crowd, and there is little evidence they know when to back off.
    I was referring to the people on this forum being experienced and not the car audio crowd as a whole. The ones on the street that you know are car audio people are the ones giving the rest of us a bad name. Basically more times than not for speakers I want to be the first owner unless the previous owner is someone I fully trust. That goes for most used electronics to be honest. Just more cautious with my money as I age and like knowing exactly what I'm getting and how it was used. I think the only thing in my current mobile system not bought new was my G-Five but I know Nasty probably babies his gear at least as well as I do.

I'm going to keep researching and reading reviews. At least when I'm ready to turn loose of the money I'll be well educated.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #37

I agree with Holmz in reference to taking care of equipment. It's very easy to tell if someone has been responsible with their speakers. Just take a look at them. I bought my Klipsch's a long time ago and they still look and play like brand new. I paid $1500 for them back in the day and you can get them used now for about 600ish and I'll guarantee you ain't getting that kind of sound anywhere close to $1000 now. I listened to everything in Best Buy's magnolia room and they all sounded like some cheap Bluetooth speaker compared to mine. There was a B&W pair that sounded the best but still not in the league of my Klipsch. Being in Arkansas you have lots of options on great used Klipsch speakers. You should check out local ebay, craigslist, marketplace etc. There's even a very well known guy in Russellville (Crites) that upgrades Klipsch speakers.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I'm reaching out to a local that lives about 20 mins from me to see if he can come up with something for me as far as leads or something from his personal stash. He's also on this forum but never posts. He's gotten big into home audio over the past several years so maybe could lead me down the right path. Known him for over 15 years.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Hmm, got a lead on a pair of KEF iq30's with stands for a pretty decent price. Older fella that's selling everything to restart the rabbit hole. Guy I reached out to said this guy has amazing taste and babies his stuff. And he lives one wide spot in the 2-lane hwy down from me on the other side of the mountain (really a peak). Wide spot=community.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Those sound very promising (pun intended)!