Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bang for the buck TOWER speakers

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Bang for the buck TOWER speakers

I think my other bang for the buck thread for bookshelf speakers was a success so let's keep that train chugging along with tower speakers. And let's assume those looking at this thread want something plug and play without the need to build them first. I can do some amazing work with just a circular saw and a straight edge and clamps for a rip fence but when it comes to making things pretty I as well as countless others in this hobby just don't measure up. Let's face it, not everyone wants to diy their speakers especially if they have to look at them in the house. And let's not get into how picky the significant other can be. Let's stick to towers that punch well above what they cost and as a guideline keep the price under $1000 for the pair all said and done. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to many people. Also, if you can give insight on tonal signature of the speakers that would be great.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Bang for the buck TOWER speakers

Joe N Tell over on youtube seems to do some pretty good speaker comparisons. Just watched his video on the Elac debut 5.2 and Wharfedale Crystal 4.3. The Crystal 4.3 has a curve nearly identical to the curve I use when tuning my truck. The curve on the Elac 5.2 is a mess. Out of the box before room acoustics comes into play the Crystal 4.3 looks incredible and has been put at the top of my list.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28erX7HQba0
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/produ...BoCXAYQAvD_BwE
    The ones you like , are the way to go , you'll have to live with them.
    The Wharfedale Towers ~ https://www.crutchfield.com/S-5idayq...xoCn3sQAvD_BwE

HiVi Acoustics DIY 3.1a

7/20/20 ?
    Last edited by Queef; 12-12-2019 at 03:18 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4

Try and find some used triangle celius, antal, zeries 202 or es series of you have above received amplification like nad bee and up. Friend picked up some used nola contenders for 1200 recently which i always loved and thought was an incredible find.

You can find some of the once popular micro brands for a steal like Odyssey, salk, freid ect

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't know the other brand but would not be surprised if the anomalies are designed in as some secret sauce Andrew Jones has accounted for that would benefit midfi users in the real world. He has a long track record for making affordable speakers sound amazing on very modest equipment in room. With elac he is able to use nicer entry level drivers than his pioneer days. Cert for the tad/ pios.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

https://www.devialet.com/en-us/buy-g...xoCq8sQAvD_BwE

Zero distortion , zero saturation and zero background noise !

7. Back To Top    #7

That's 3 Grand and compared to 3k hi fi and pro speakers it doesn't compete

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

My plan is to eventually put a real amp on the mains. I'll have preouts for it. I'm guessing going from the internal amp in the Denon to a real home amp using the processor in the Denon (it has decent processing) to a separate amp using the Denon's processing would be about like what we do in the car audio world adding a separate amp. The Denon does do A LOT more power on each channel than a car headunit though so difference might be less drastic? I'm guessing even if I went from 120x2 with built-in amp to 120x2 with something like an Emotiva (keeping power equal for fair theoretical comparison) would step me up from midfi power to hifi power? Like going from a cheap class D micro car amp to a nice a/b amp like a Mosconi of equal power? There's a learning curve here because I can build a car system like a pimp. This is new territory for me. And I'm not gonna start buying speakers and separate amps until I have the money to do it right within reason. In other words what I do will be nice and carefully planned but not above my raisin'

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I will say this much though...the best speakers I've ever heard were some 12" Tannoy concentrics with a Velodyne sub in JustJason's garage. Anyone who has heard that setup knows why I'm saying this. Looking at the price of a lot of the nicer Tannoy stuff makes me wanna puke though

10. Back To Top    #10

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020