Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a GB25 make a particular sound when it is blown or damaged?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will a GB25 make a particular sound when it is blown or damaged?

This is probably a dumb question but here it goes. I have a GB25 that is making a “zipping” noise when doing the REW sweep, more at the lower end of the band pass (200-3500Hz). I thought I had another rattle in my left door panel and then I realized it was actually coming from the GB25. I thought the grille was rattling but it still does it with no grille. I pulled my other a-pillar out and plugged that side in to the left and it doesn’t do it so I know it isn’t the amp, DSP, or wiring to the a-pillar. I removed the speaker and reseated the wires since I had a poor connection cause an issue in my truck and that didn’t change anything either. Unfortunately, I bought these second hand so I have no warranty. I Was about to pull the trigger on a new set and these popped up, they were sold as new only pulled one out to see it didn’t fit. So unless one of us damaged the speaker handling it accidentally, I think it’s blown. I was just curious if that’s the normal noise it makes when they get blown (if there is a normal noise). My pods are from Printed Acoustics so they aren’t metal and I used the foam gasket between the speaker and pod. I was thinking about putting a little poly fill behind the speaker just to see if that changed anything.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Will a GB25 make a particular sound when it is blown or damaged?

If it is recently new I'd think Audiofrog would cover it under warranty regardless of you buying it second hand. Hit them up. They should be able to determine if under warranty based of manufacture date.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been sitting on them for a few months but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Does it make the strange noise with the speaker pulled out of the pod?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #5

Uhh. That’s a great question. I honestly do not remember right now if I tried it again when I pulled it out of the pod to redo the connection to the speaker. I was considering seeing if the polyfill might do something just out of sheer curiosity so I’ll pull it back out and see.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick

try doing it removed from the pod

7. Back To Top    #7

I finally got around to removing the speaker from the pod and testing it again and it is definitely the speaker, I can feel the noise if I hold the speaker while the sweep is going. I did talk to Andy and he said he can get me a single speaker for $150 but I'll probably just deal with it for a while. I'm still kinda wanting to get another set of GB60's for my truck to replace the SI MKIII's just so the whole system is Audiofrog. I need some of my stuff to sell!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
    I finally got around to removing the speaker from the pod and testing it again and it is definitely the speaker, I can feel the noise if I hold the speaker while the sweep is going. I did talk to Andy and he said he can get me a single speaker for $150 but I'll probably just deal with it for a while. I'm still kinda wanting to get another set of GB60's for my truck to replace the SI MKIII's just so the whole system is Audiofrog. I need some of my stuff to sell!
    You have no proof that it is not the DSP, HU or amp...
    However if you swapped the left with the right, then you would probably know more.

9. Back To Top    #9

I did. I pulled the whole pillar out of the other side and plugged it in and the noise wasn’t there.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Classifieds ?
    I thought I saw a set or two ?

It's Christmas time ( ask for discount ), Ho-Ho-Ho $

Always a good idea to have a spare on hand ! (When shit goes sideways/unplanned).
    Last edited by Queef; 12-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.