Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCA Interconnects - Stinger or something else?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: RCA Interconnects - Stinger or something else?

Ya, compared to the Knu Krystal and stinger 8000's. Westco (is this RSD???) was like double cost and Blue jeans was nearly triple the cost. RSD and Blue jean were quite a bit cheaper than stinger 9000s or other "higher end" RCA's.

Krystal 3ft is $10.50
    Stinger 8000 3ft is $18
    Westco 3ft is ~$23 (this is using his 2014 pricing so as long as prices stayed the same since then)
    Blue Jean 3ft is $39
    Stinger 9000 3ft is $84
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

The 8000 are not properly shielded for unbalanced inputs. They are twisted pair so if your amp has balanced inputs you're good to go.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    The 8000 are not properly shielded for unbalanced inputs. They are twisted pair so if your amp has balanced inputs you're good to go.
    They have a mylar foil shield.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    They have a mylar foil shield.
    The last I checked, the foil only covers the main portion of the cable and is not terminated at either end. In this case it won't be much better than twisted pair. If something has changed and they do have the foil terminated at one end, this would possibly be a decent cable for use in either scenario. If so, one end should be marked or some way to tell which is the source end of the cable. The last time I inspected a pair the resistance of the center conductor was awfully high as well. I will admit it was not a BNIB set but I couldn't find where the foil should have been terminated to begin with.
    Meh, it'll play.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Vehicle
    4Runner & Altima Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I am confused whenever someone brings up Blue Jean Cables since I've always found their prices to be quite expensive. How are you configuring them?
    Something like this. They are cheap for a quality cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I've got a budget of $1,000. That should be more than enough.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Vehicle
    4Runner & Altima Coupe

RCA Interconnects - Stinger or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Ya, compared to the Knu Krystal and stinger 8000's. Westco (is this RSD???) was like double cost and Blue jeans was nearly triple the cost. RSD and Blue jean were quite a bit cheaper than stinger 9000s or other "higher end" RCA's.
    Here is RSD's facebook page. The cables are custom made by my buddy Joseph Davis, one of the nicest guys in car audio.
    https://www.facebook.com/RSDcustomcables/

Here is his website.
    https://rsd-custom-cables.sitelio.me/

I went with the RSD Black Diamond cables. They aren't cheap but they should be amazing. All of the cables combined in my Altima retail for a little under $1,000 I believe.

Compared to the 20 foot Straight Wires RCA I have in my 4Runner they are extremely affordable. That one pair of cables retails for around $800.
    I've got a budget of $1,000. That should be more than enough.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The last I checked, the foil only covers the main portion of the cable and is not terminated at either end. In this case it won't be much better than twisted pair. If something has changed and they do have the foil terminated at one end, this would possibly be a decent cable for use in either scenario. If so, one end should be marked or some way to tell which is the source end of the cable. The last time I inspected a pair the resistance of the center conductor was awfully high as well. I will admit it was not a BNIB set but I couldn't find where the foil should have been terminated to begin with.
    Ground would need to be connected at one end to prevent noise, but that is different from the mylar foil.

Mylar foil naturally rejects the noise if it is covering the cable 100%. Kind of like aluminum foil. If you wrap your phone in a mylar shield or aluminum foil, the signal will be greatly reduced or non-existent.

I used this method on my LED reverse light pods on my truck. I was getting EMF interference with my reverse sensors and the lights. Wrapped the lights in aluminum tape and no more EMF interference with the sensors.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle

I agree, but wouldn't the gap in foil on either end be susceptible to noise? That was my main thought when I examined them. I have not used them since I don't have amps with balanced inputs.
    Meh, it'll play.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I agree, but wouldn't the gap in foil on either end be susceptible to noise? That was my main thought when I examined them. I have not used them since I don't have amps with balanced inputs.

That should mean that it would be the only spot where it could pick up EMF noise is at the ends, and that ideally is the least likely spot, if the mylar foil is capable of blocking 100% throughout the rest of the cable.

10. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by lowcel View Post
    Something like this. They are cheap for a quality cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Oh, I'd just make my own cable if it were a 3' interconnect, but I need a cable to run the length of the car from the head unit to my trunk.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1