Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RCA Interconnects - Stinger or something else?

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: RCA Interconnects - Stinger or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    ... Can't imagine trying to do an install in sub freezing temps and trying to weave cable in and out of holes.
    Too hot can also be "not a lot of fun".
    I guess I sort of like Goldilocks.

2. Back To Top    #32

Haha, yea I had the pleasure of doing an amp install in 90+ weather. If it goes up to the 50s again I can do the install. Sub 30 is just too rough for my hands and dexterity.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

3. Back To Top    #33
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    The last I checked, the foil only covers the main portion of the cable and is not terminated at either end. In this case it won't be much better than twisted pair. If something has changed and they do have the foil terminated at one end, this would possibly be a decent cable for use in either scenario. If so, one end should be marked or some way to tell which is the source end of the cable. The last time I inspected a pair the resistance of the center conductor was awfully high as well. I will admit it was not a BNIB set but I couldn't find where the foil should have been terminated to begin with.
    I may owe the Stinger 8000's an apology. I felt I should revisit this. It bothered me because I have used Stinger products for years and never had crap product. My plan was to examine a new set and compare it to my previous inspection.

First some back story. I helped a friend of mine troubleshoot a noise and tuning problem in a new build in another guys car. We ended up replacing the RCA cable running from the head unit to the trunk. The Stinger 8000 RCA cables did not get good measurements but we could not find any kinks, pinches, or any other physical damage. They were replaced with a different cable which worked fine.

I called my friend to see if he still had the cables so I could compare them to a new set. He said, "Don't bother I pitched them in the trash. Ritchey finally admitted he was too lazy to remove parts of the interior so he snatched them under the carpet with an electrician's fish tape."

Moral of the story: Don't be a Richard.
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #34

I just bought a Helix DSP-Ultra, and wanted to compliment the new toy with some fancy new RCA's.
    I got 6 sets (12 channels) of Stinger 8000 Series RCA cables... and here's my honest review of them:

1. They look cool. Really cool. Which is why I bought them.
    2. They sound exactly the same as my previous (cheaper) RCA's. Not better. Not worse.
    3. I've never had interference issues with my cables, so I can't comment on their ability to reject noise.
    4. Overall, I have no complaints. They are well-made cables. Quality is definitely there.
    5. I don't regret buying them. But if you're on a budget, don't make them a priority.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

5. Back To Top    #35
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Post Re: RCA Interconnects - Stinger or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    2. They sound exactly the same as my previous (cheaper) RCA's. Not better. Not worse.
    In my personal experience(belief), once you get to proper signal transfer, they all sound the same. What intrigued me about these was the locking collar. My current favorite does not have this. Too loose and you have jostle the connections after a period of time to clean the contact. Some guys tinker so much, they have never experienced this. If they are too tight, you sometimes worry about damage when disconnecting them.
    Meh, it'll play.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Vehicle
    2002 BMW M3

My problem with stinger products in general... they plaster their name all over them. That's my biggest complaint, the aesthetics of their products.