Thread: Anyone useing a DAC ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone useing a DAC ?

Hi there guys I thought I would put this out there to see if any of you have gone in this direction instead of going down the DAP route ? As most of us have smart phones that can be hooked up to a DAC with a usb cable and then out to the amplifiers I was wondering if this will offer great sound quality that is on par with a DAP. As these DACS can be had for as little as $100 this way be the way to go if of coarse the sound quality is there ?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Anyone useing a DAC ?

Try it and report back ," please "! There is a thread here on DAP's ( if you check names , you will be able to rule out DACs )

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    BMW 335i E92, BMW X6 F16, 2000 LandCruiser

I have tested an Oppo HA-2SE (Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC, High-resolution USB DAC for Apple/Android/PC/Mac, ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC chip), and it provides the highest quality playback available to me. I bought it for portable headphone use but found it works great for the car as well. Unfortunately Oppo has dropped their home audio and video products .

I have only tried it in the 335i E92 and it does have a couple disadvantages. One is the second device and extra wires and second I lose CIC integration conveniences like steering wheel and display iTunes control. I use it with an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max with iTunes playing Apple Lossless files. The iPhone connects via the lightning to USB cable and the DAC’s 3.5 mm line out connects to the AUX in. Music playback is noticeably different and better than lossless files played with the Y-Adapter or WAV files played on a USB flash drive. My E92 does not support Bluetooth music playback. I haven’t compared the CD player in the HU.

“The HA-2SE passes Apple's "MFi" certification and is compatible with the latest iPod, iPhone and iPad to be used as the digital audio output accessory of these devices. By tapping directly into the digital audio signal of these devices and converting the audio to analog using the high performance SABRE32 Reference DAC, music from your favorite portable device will sound its best. Furthermore, for users with high-resolution music playback apps, the HA-2SE does not require the use of a Camera Connection Kit (CCK). The data cables that come with your Apple device or the supplied Lightning cable is sufficient.

The HA-2SE has a 3.5 mm Audio-In port to support portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. While the HA-2SE is used with one of its USB digital input ports, the 3.5 mm jack acts as Line-Out for the USB DAC.”

I’m not sure it is worth the trouble but it does sound great.
    Last edited by Midway; 12-09-2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

4. Back To Top    #4

i have a topping d10 i use as a USB to SPDIF (optical or coax) bridge in the car. coax spdif into the helix pro mk2 dsp.

dac's in the glovebox. apple camerakit 3 adapter into my phone, usb A-B cable between the cck3 and dac, coax from the glovebox to the dsp in the back.

i've used a udac5 in the same configuration.

in a car, i haven't used it in actual dac configuration (with analog into the dsp).

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    i have a topping d10 i use as a USB to SPDIF (optical or coax) bridge in the car. coax spdif into the helix pro mk2 dsp.

dac's in the glovebox. apple camerakit 3 adapter into my phone, usb A-B cable between the cck3 and dac, coax from the glovebox to the dsp in the back.

i've used a udac5 in the same configuration.

in a car, i haven't used it in actual dac configuration (with analog into the dsp).
    Thanks for your reply I did see the video that Nick done with your car at the finals and Must say I like your car for its understated loooks the JT has achieved love the trunk build. What I would like to know how analog into a dsp would sound and weather it is worth it ? as I have the Dayton 408 dsp that does not have digital in

6. Back To Top    #6

usually car audio gear is 4vrms to help avoid vehicle noises. most of these DACs are 2vrms output so you may get some noise. something to think about.

you could try a 15' (or whatever length is sufficient) thick conductor shielded USB cable and put the DAC near the DSP, keeping the RCA runs short.

no matter where you put it, you'll probably need some additional power for the device, something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM/

you'll need a remote for your dsp for volume control. some of these DACs have a small DSP inside allowing volume control from the USB devices attached. however, it'd probably be a better experience to have a remote volume control on your dsp.

i'd also make sure the amplifiers you choose are have a 4v-0.2vrms sensitivity, or lower (like old-school amps).