Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: With DSPs would it be possible to beat champions from 80's ?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: With DSPs would it be possible to beat champions from 80's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    Even people that competed then can't unlearn what they have seen since and would not be able to do as good given the same limitations now. Why would I cover my windshield in a clear plastic film to tame reflections when I can make them work together with a little DSP work? Why cut my dash to equal out pathways when I can just delay it a bit, etc.
    There is an interesting concept. Could someone today build like they did then without crying in the corner about not having a DSP?
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    My answers in red. Hopefully none of it is considered bad info that should be ignored. What I'm trying to get across is what was the best of the best 20+ years ago would probably get their ass handed to them now by one of the top extreme competitors because of much better control of the signal. We have it so good these days many probably take it for granted. When I first went active it was with an Alpine 9833 that I bought new. That was a popular cheap way to go active for a poor boy like myself. If you ran an Alpine H701 back then you were ballin'
    Any competitors "undefeated' since then { one ??? }

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    This concept goes along with what I said. Technology has evened out the playing field not detracted from the previously elite.

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    There is an interesting concept. Could someone today build like they did then without crying in the corner about not having a DSP?
    The answer is no. College graduate engineers could not solve structure problems as quickly or solidly as a Brazilian tribe that had been self secluded. Intentionally put in a different environment (different jungle) the tribesman successfully built bridges, shelter, and material transports faster and stronger than the engineers in every exercise. The engineers summed it up with " we are trying to figure out how to make a drill while they are figuring out how to tie a girder."

The mind sets are just in two different places because of technology. This is not a bad thing. It just means humans are inheritantly progressive. We don't do good at backwards thinking. It's literally not in our DNA.
    Last edited by Theslaking; 12-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

For Richard's part , money , was what he got and thus "undefeated" or whoever could have beat him ( the excuses are endless ).

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Probably Cook. He won the Culbertson Cup in MECA 3 or 4 years in a row, IIRC. The Cup is the highest SQ award overall at Finals. And he did it with ALL SORTS of installs/equipment throughout the years. He'd change his install multiple times in a season. He'd even show up to finals with a brand new install and tune it in the parking lot and still take 1st by 4+ points.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

7. Back To Top    #27
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

8. Back To Top    #28

And, my answer to the question is: absolutely.

Some of the old school guys are still stuck in the 90's, touting their vehicles as better than anything today. So, they were given the opportunity to show up to Aggieland earlier this year and win a boatload of money. Do you know how many of them showed up and competed? None. The only 'old school' guys who did show up are the guys who are using DSP and actively competing year after year (btw, they don't win every show and sometimes don't even place top 3). It's easier to maintain your "best" status when you're not willing to put yourself out there. Same thing Jon Whitledge does.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I'm gonna show up to Aggieland next year and wipe the floor with everyone in my class. Or just hope I don't come in DFL, hehe. Gotta pop my competition cherry sometime.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    So, they were given the opportunity to show up to Aggieland earlier this year and win a boatload of money. Do you know how many of them showed up and competed? None.
    Who got the "BoatLoad" ?

Your average joe needs more than a DSP to make his vehicle sound 'Great' !