Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With DSPs would it be possible to beat champions from 80's ?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Question With DSPs would it be possible to beat champions from 80's ?

With the advent of digital signal processors would it be easy to beat a system designed in the 80's or did they know how to use what they had better ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: With DSPs would it be possible to beat champions from 80's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    With the advent of digital signal processors would it be easy to beat a system designed in the 80's or did they know how to use what they had better ?
    In what context?

In a home system a DSP can make a system flat versus frequency, but many home systems had ideal time and phase alignment. And most home systems had flatter speakers than car audio.

In a car the speakers are often put in less desirable locations.

I would not say it would be easy to beat a well designed system from the 80s unless the person doing the DSP and install were as smart and paid as much attention as the people's in the 80s.
    The same person doing the 80s work as now would probably do better with more tools.
    But a Neanderthal using good tools now, may not do better.

I dunno though. I do know that a set of Vandersteen home speakers powered by a decent amp are hard to beat.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I thinks it's all relative. I can easily beat my first system but it would be more than just DSP. Sound deadening has changed drastically since the 80's as well. I remember time alignment being such a pain that many ignored it. That's what made kick panel components so popular. I also have seen many flawed attempts to slow the signals individually, such as coiling long lengths of wire under the carpet. In that regard, I believe the same builder could easily improve those systems by adding current DSP technology. Based on that, the experienced system builder should be able to easily beat his old best.
    I also agree that a noob with equipment most likely would not easily beat the old systems.
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Both of you covered it ! I would think Manville's vehicle rolled out of the garage from then would be better than a lesser vehicle 30 some years later just because of new technology.
    I think that Richard Clark would put a hurtin on people . . . Still !

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Nick

Depends on the scoresheet. With todays scoresheet, it wouldnt even be hard

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I also agree that a noob with equipment most likely would not easily beat the old systems.
    I can attest to that!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

This seems to be a common argument between people who have embraced and learned to use technology and olskool people who refuse to see how much better their system could sound even with just a mild dsp tune. Well maybe not common but I've seen people say dsp was bad out of pure ignorance and/or not knowing what they were doing with the mind melting amount of control they suddenly have. I've even read where home audiophiles refuse to touch any tone controls (or use dsp) because the problems they're trying to fix end up causing more problems in the end from phase issues. They'd rather tune their system by swapping amps and cables.

As to the OP-it depends. Take an 80's install and install a dsp with a good tune on that same equipment and the sound will be worlds better. Take a maxed out 80's install and 80's tune and compare it to one of today's cars where we put speakers wherever and then try to fix the problems by tuning the crap out of them I bet the 80's install with extra attention to speaker placement sounds better tonally even if it doesn't stage and image as well.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Basically , the latest & greatest tool for now is not a 'magic wand' ! ( Helpful . . . Yes, but not the end all & be all.

Paper (no) , you adjusting their system after adding a DSP (no).

If you had someone trained to judge a vehicle's sound system sit in their car ( setup 30 yrs ago) and , then sit in your car ( Would you Win , with the 30 years worth of advancements in electronics (no).

Wayne Harris would bury you without changing anything. ( From 30 yrs ago )
    Last edited by Queef; 12-09-2019 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Pipe dreamers !!!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Yes it would. Having built champions in the 90s I can tell you that straight up every one of those cars would be better with DSP. Also every one of those cars would be better without DSP I if built them now.
    Doug Dobson

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Depends on the scoresheet. With todays scoresheet, it wouldnt even be hard
    It's like asking which NBA team is the best of all time, 2016 Warriors or 1996 Bulls......today's NBA rules or '90 NBA rules, makes a big difference.