Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Followed the crowd from a sinking ship

1. Back To Top    #1

Followed the crowd from a sinking ship

Hey folks. I'm looking to find a comfortable seat in the corner somewhere.

I'm a hobbyist in my mid 40's. Been putting some kind of sound upgrades in my vehicles since 15. They get better every time. I like to self teach and do it myself. I'm not that connected with you other folks as I'm not overly social, but I recognize some names from some places in our nerd world. Being located in the far lands of nowhere special mid america, I don't have many peers in this sport either. None at my level of interest at least. Whatever I do is to impress myself. No competition. I can't say I've heard an award winning car stereo in a looonngg time. My attention to car stereo was born in the 90's in my high school days. When it was all about the bass... And maybe some chicks and weed. Circuit City Jenson bass, Pyramid Crossovers, and hand me downs. Though even back then I had more of a focus of balanced sound, and not just Boom Tiss. I honestly don't keep my finger on the pulse of this industry. I surface every few years when I get a new car. Do an upgrade, get content, drop out, and repeat.

I'm not rich. I'm comfortable. I have priorities. I do what I can. My profession is Quality Control in a factory setting.

I'm fairly new to a full active system and dedicated processors. I got my foot in the door some months ago with the Dayton 408. Recently upgrading to a Helix DSP.2. I'm currently in and out of REW sessions and a UMI-1.

My current ride is a 2016 Nissan Juke SV AWD Stinger Limited Edition. The first vehicle I bought brand new, and something I really cherish. I have a focus of "Sound Quality", with potential to get semi loud and rock. The Half Whitledge curve has my attention right now. I also like the idea of toying with an optional 'proper rear fill' preset. Non flashy, stealthy, factory look builds interest me. All of my equipment (minus the subwoofer enclosure) is hidden under the cargo floor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190902_164953.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	7948

Currently the gear is as follows.

Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S
    Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Cam
    Audiofrog GS60 front woofer
    Audiofrog GS10 tweeters
    Audiofrog GS62 rears
    JL Audio XD 600/6v2 on highs
    JL Audio Slash 600/1v3 sub amp
    JL Audio 10W3v3 + Vented Enclosure
    Helix DSP.2
    Samsung 1TB SSD loaded with various digital media.

Other aspects of the install include...

A healthy mix of Stinger and Knukoncepts OFC and wiring accessories.
    AGM battery, Big 3, stock alternator.
    Doors and cargo are peppered with about 30% Kolossus CDL. Along with yards of foam and felt for rattle reduction and resonance control.

Name:	Audiofrog GS10 tweeter.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	7949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior stereo Gauges1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	7950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OH2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	7951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OH3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	7952

A goal of mine is to sometime obtain a custom fiberglass sub enclosure (or 2) to regain some cargo space. Other than that, I'm rather content right now on gear.

I enjoy spreading knowledge as much as I do absorbing it. When appropriate.

Am I in the right place?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: Followed the crowd from a sinking ship

Absolutely! Welcome! Where is your place in the flatlands? I’m in central Illinois.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Welcome to the loony bin! I just turned 48, so you're in good company.

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

6. Back To Top    #6
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Cool Re: Followed the crowd from a sinking ship

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7Rwl4n...box-Black.html
    Wecome KarmaJack , stealth box JL for a Nissan Juke .
    Would like to say I'm shocked by anti-social nerdy-geeky people . . . But NAH

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Welcome. And this hobby can be a great way for someone who's anti-social to come out of their shell. I've met some wonderful people through this hobby and am a better person because of it. Can't hide the fact that car audio can attract some strange birds though
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Karmajack View Post
    Hey folks. I'm looking to find a comfortable seat in the corner somewhere.

I'm a hobbyist in my mid 40's. Been putting some kind of sound upgrades in my vehicles since 15. They get better every time. I like to self teach and do it myself. I'm not that connected with you other folks as I'm not overly social, but I recognize some names from some places in our nerd world. Being located in the far lands of nowhere special mid america, I don't have many peers in this sport either. None at my level of interest at least. Whatever I do is to impress myself. No competition. I can't say I've heard an award winning car stereo in a looonngg time. My attention to car stereo was born in the 90's in my high school days. When it was all about the bass... And maybe some chicks and weed. Circuit City Jenson bass, Pyramid Crossovers, and hand me downs. Though even back then I had more of a focus of balanced sound, and not just Boom Tiss. I honestly don't keep my finger on the pulse of this industry. I surface every few years when I get a new car. Do an upgrade, get content, drop out, and repeat.

I'm not rich. I'm comfortable. I have priorities. I do what I can. My profession is Quality Control in a factory setting.

I'm fairly new to a full active system and dedicated processors. I got my foot in the door some months ago with the Dayton 408. Recently upgrading to a Helix DSP.2. I'm currently in and out of REW sessions and a UMI-1.

My current ride is a 2016 Nissan Juke SV AWD Stinger Limited Edition. The first vehicle I bought brand new, and something I really cherish. I have a focus of "Sound Quality", with potential to get semi loud and rock. The Half Whitledge curve has my attention right now. I also like the idea of toying with an optional 'proper rear fill' preset. Non flashy, stealthy, factory look builds interest me. All of my equipment (minus the subwoofer enclosure) is hidden under the cargo floor.

Name:	20190902_164953.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	7948

Currently the gear is as follows.

Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S
    Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Cam
    Audiofrog GS60 front woofer
    Audiofrog GS10 tweeters
    Audiofrog GS62 rears
    JL Audio XD 600/6v2 on highs
    JL Audio Slash 600/1v3 sub amp
    JL Audio 10W3v3 + Vented Enclosure
    Helix DSP.2
    Samsung 1TB SSD loaded with various digital media.

Other aspects of the install include...

A healthy mix of Stinger and Knukoncepts OFC and wiring accessories.
    AGM battery, Big 3, stock alternator.
    Doors and cargo are peppered with about 30% Kolossus CDL. Along with yards of foam and felt for rattle reduction and resonance control.

Name:	Audiofrog GS10 tweeter.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	7949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior stereo Gauges1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	7950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OH2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	7951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OH3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	7952

A goal of mine is to sometime obtain a custom fiberglass sub enclosure (or 2) to regain some cargo space. Other than that, I'm rather content right now on gear.

I enjoy spreading knowledge as much as I do absorbing it. When appropriate.

Am I in the right place?
    You're definitely in the right place, welcome! I'm about to turn 48 so there's a few of us old folks around here.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7Rwl4n...box-Black.html
    Wecome KarmaJack , stealth box JL for a Nissan Juke ....
    I appreciate the suggestion. However, the Juke JL Stealth Box was designed for the FWD version. The cargo area between the drive models is built differently to accommodate the AWD. The enclosure simply wouldn't fit. It saddens me, as I'd love that simple decent quality pre-built solution. Besides that, the box is quite elusive to find either way. Another Juke enthusiast friend of mine has this going on, and my envy. I want that driver's side enclosure at the least. It's on my long term goal. I don't have the funds right away to do it after just now getting the Helix. Though I'll get there. I figure it's going to be a process though. I know I said I like DIY, but glass is out of my expertise. I also don't have the work space to do this kind of task. I'll need to find a guy when the time comes.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Welcome to the best mobile audio forum on the interweb!!!
    Are you not entertained?!?!