Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonality vs RTA

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Tonality vs RTA

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Tuning section , order of doing things or sequence . Whatever you do . . . Don't write it down as you go , and remember never adjust things without adjusting many other things at same time or it will get less confusing.
    I got a favorite song , you ? I have been listening to it forever , I know it very very well.
    You are a very cryptic and strange cat my friend. I'm not sure if I should try to figure out what you mean, but yes I have been using the same sequence for tuning, kind of a combination between audiofrog guide, kyle ragsdale videos, and all the help dumdum has been giving me. I make notes from my tunes too, but am still not sure if I am tuning as effectively as possible (almost certainly not). As for favorite songs, I have many that I am very familiar with and use them to "judge" each of my tunes.

I'm honestly unsure if I'm even asking the right questions half the time. Lol.

Thanks Queef! ;-)

2. Back To Top    #12
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

You are doing it right ! It gets tough when you can't see the woods , for the trees.
    YouTube , music recorded at 432 hertz , not 440 hertz

I put on Otis Redding : Sittin on the Dock of the bay

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If you're going to fly in for a competition the one that happens every year around May-June in College Station, Texas might be a good one. That's if you can take the heat and humidity of the dirty southI plan on putting my truck in the mix for the first time to see how I stack up against the big boys. Would be my first time competing so shouldn't be too embarrassing if I get my ass handed to me
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    You are a very cryptic and strange cat my friend. I'm not sure if I should try to figure out what you mean, but yes I have been using the same sequence for tuning, kind of a combination between audiofrog guide, kyle ragsdale videos, and all the help dumdum has been giving me. I make notes from my tunes too, but am still not sure if I am tuning as effectively as possible (almost certainly not). As for favorite songs, I have many that I am very familiar with and use them to "judge" each of my tunes.

I'm honestly unsure if I'm even asking the right questions half the time. Lol.

Thanks Queef! ;-)
    Just ignore. hah. He was being a smart ass.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Thanks jrwaite @ Tou'che (hah hah)

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    Hello.
    I have been learning how to tune my stereo over the last few months. A 3-way active front, 1 sub and a dsp.3. Each time I tune, the system sounds better and better, however, there is one issue I cannot seem to figure out. My overall tone of the system seems too high pitched. I have successfully tuned to a 3dB tolerance of my house curve (basically a bassed up audiofrog) and yet my tone still seems off. At moderate levels you may not notice it too much, but at "showoff" levels, it is noticeably high pitched.

Why would this be? Is there a give away in my RTA measurements that would let me know? Is it a speaker placement/install thing? Or do I just need to do a better job on tuning?

My mids and tweets are in 3d printed pods on the dash and the 6.5 inch woofs are in the doors. I'm not sure how to approach a solution since I can't seem to find whats causing the problem.

Any tips would be appreciated. Don't worry about insulting me, I know I'm green and I have thick skin. Let me have it!
    Cheers!
    I can't get specific for your system, but I found digital clipping (in the dsp) caused that problem in my system.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    I can't get specific for your system, but I found digital clipping (in the dsp) caused that problem in my system.
    That's interesting. So far I have only been able to set my gains with a DMM, and have tried to keep things on the safe side. However, I have an oscope coming on Monday and really look forward to ensuring that I am not clipping. My helix has an indicator light that I ensure doesn't light up when I'm setting gains, but I can't actually see the light from the drivers seat, when the music is playing. The oscope should solve all mysteries. Thanks for the tip!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    If you're going to fly in for a competition the one that happens every year around May-June in College Station, Texas might be a good one. That's if you can take the heat and humidity of the dirty southI plan on putting my truck in the mix for the first time to see how I stack up against the big boys. Would be my first time competing so shouldn't be too embarrassing if I get my ass handed to me
    I will keep that one in mind. 1.5 hours from Houston. If they still have a baseball team next year, maybe I could kill two bird with one stone. Is it a large show? I was kind of thinking of going to IASCA finals or slamology. Something that could really scratch my itch. Lol.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

It's one of the biggest comps other than finals. I would also recommend the Parkinson's Research/Hybrid show in Dawsonville, GA or Steel Valley Regionals in New Cumberland, WV

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Man oh man, I could see any of those places being awesome. I'm going to try to dig up some details and make a decision. You really got me thinking now. Thanks BigAL!