Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Tonality vs RTA

1. Back To Top    #71

Re: Tonality vs RTA

^^I completely agree... I've found that a house curve is a good starting point - just to have something as a baseline that you can tune towards - but like you, I was never happy with any of the common house-curves - they just flat out didn't sound right to me. I spent a lot of time customizing a house curve to my preferences, just to allow me to get a lot closer to my "end result", but even then, I still make tweaks to it afterwards.

I gave up worrying if it "looks" correct and now just concentrate on making it *sound* correct - at least to *me*. :-)

2. Back To Top    #72
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I Just had a similar experience as did JimmyDee. I just upgraded my F150 to a three-way from a two way by adding AudioFrog GB25 mid range drivers. I aligned everything perfectly to the JBL house curve following a process that is proven with my two way tunes and it didn’t sound as good to me as I would have thought. So I looked at my old two-way curve from my CX5 that I like a lot and made my own house curve based off of that. I retuned this three-way to that custom house curve and now it is almost perfect. Most of my issues were with the 80 Hz to 2500 Hz region.

With the added accuracy of the new midrange driver in a three way and direct sound vs reflected sound that came from my door midbass drivers before, it seems to me that a three-way can be less forgiving with minor frequency response adjustment with how we perceive that direct sound. Overall the sound improvement With the addition of these GB25 drivers is pretty huge. Most notable are stage height, depth, and width are improved. Upfront bass and tonality are also improved.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #73
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Great stuff JimmyDee, jtrosky and JC. The last few tunes and the responses in threads like these have really been an eye opener for me. Sometimes I get too rigid in my thinking, not allowing my own input to be added to what I'm learning. Someone says tune to curve and I tune to curve, unwavering. However, over the lat few months I have begun to understand how much of this is personal taste, as well as, individualized between cars, gear and musical preferences. Slowly but surely I have begun to embrace trusting my ears and not relying so much on what I see on the RTA.

It might seem obvious now, but I started this SQ learning curve thinking right was right, and the only way to get good was to do it the way others were doing it. The more I tune to my own liking (instead of preconceived curves) the more positive my responses have been when showing off the truck too. Its always reassuring to hear others go through the same "struggles". Thanks gents!!