Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about infinite baffle subs

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Questions about infinite baffle subs

it is a Zapco R12H. If anyone here happens to have a scan or pdf of a spec sheet for one I would greatly appreciate any and all info I can get on it.

I know that it can take way more power than I am giving it and that is likely one portion of my problem but even if I bought a big mono block for it I would expect it to more or less have the same response curve but louder.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

3. Back To Top    #13

interesting idea. I actually have a partial bag of that kicking around somewhere. I don't think I have enough for the recommended 1/2 pound per cube but i think i will stuff what i have on hand in the box and see if it makes a difference. if it helps than I will order more to bring it up to the recommended amount.

if stuffing the box works out well enough I may just wait for warmer weather and fiberglass my spare tire well for the sub I have rather than buying something else.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Eric

Heading out the door for work, but here is a good site with info about IB, you may have to search a little;
    http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

I'm no expert, but take a look at the area behind your rear seat to see how complicated it would be to secure a baffle to. My last two cars have been IB because that area was relatively flat and easy to attach to.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Excellent mumbles !

6. Back To Top    #16
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Fernpatch View Post
    interesting idea.
    I don't think I have enough for the recommended 1/2 pound per cube
    If you have a subwoofer in an enclosure under 3 cu ft , by stuffing it with 'one and a half pounds for each/every cubic foot that your enclosure contains (as long as total box does not exceed 3 cu ft).

The first/top chart and the third/bottom chart explain benefits. The 4th paragraph from top going down is the one that 'matters'!

A sealed boxes lowest frequency is played after the stuffing equals 1 1/2 pounds per cubic foot. The most beneficial increase in "apparent" box size occurs @ 1 1/2 pounds per cu ft.

"Want to hear "more" bass , would lower notes/frequencies being played interest you ?

( 1.5 lbs of some medium , long-haired wool/batt or some other type of insulation/pillow stuffing/polyfil/acoustistuf could impress you ) !

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Fernpatch View Post
    Hello all, I am hoping for some knowledge on the subject of infinite baffle subs as I am considering trying IB for the first time when I rebuild my cars system next year.

it is my understanding that IB is more efficient in the sense that it takes way less power to reach a given amount of excursion compared to a sealed box setup. It is my understanding that SPL is largely a matter of cone area x stroke. am I correct so far?

what are the qualities that make a particular sub suited for IB use? I have been searching on google and I am struggling trying to sort the truth from myth.

Also i would like to point out that although I referenced SPL earlier in the post I am not looking for something that is simply loud. I am trying to figure out how to get the clearest deepest bass i can in my car.

for an idea of what kind of volume i normally listen at I am currently running a single 12 sealed on 300 watts and it is almost enough in the 40hz and up range but nowhere near what I would like in the bottom octave.

In theory I could buy a bigger amp and put more power on the sub I have now and than try and EQ out the upper end to even out the sound but 1. I would rather not buy a bigger amp unless I have no other choice and 2 I would like to get some usable trunk space back again by getting the monster box out of my trunk.

Another question, is there anything fundamentally bad about using shallow subs for IB? I understand that shallow subs tend to have way less stroke than standard type subs limiting how loud and low they can go but assuming one had enough cone area to achieve enough displacement within the limited available stroke would it work out?

Sorry for the long ramble, I am dog tired today.
    Queef is right, try 24 ounces of polyfill per cubic foot, you can get it cheap at Walmart (50 ounces @$8).

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I believe Andy is correct. Damping factor is not really a factor.

https://www.audiofrog.com/community/tech-tips/damping-factor-and-why-it-isnt-much-of-a-factor-2/
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

9. Back To Top    #19

Is synthetic fiber fill like quilt and stuffed toy stuffing a functional alternative to the audio branded polyfill? if so I have access to more than enough material to load my sub with 24 ounces per cube.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

It's worth trying !