Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual intercorsa...

1. Back To Top    #281

Re: Sexual intercorsa...

So the twin towers are coming on nicely hopefully both sides will be making some sort of noise for the weekend, that will commence the aiming testing

also arrived are some 14mm head 5mm hole rivets for the aluminium shields that I will bend and make fit under the IB subs proper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	056FC65E-D2FB-49D1-B347-FF2AB4E42C22.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	14738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0B45B8E-2770-4725-8410-E04698862143.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	14739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B786EDFE-1F4F-41D9-92E1-7A120E874CAA.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	14740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2452ED0B-C519-4FC7-85EF-110B04E80B2E.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	14741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9D93ED5-DE2A-46A0-BE7D-5FF17CBB5754.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	14742  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F49AE7B1-0FC7-4FED-9C21-079EF964A560.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	14743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A99ED0DD-CF20-4E94-9BAA-1D99EEBA4219.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	14744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF54E71C-0AFB-4A09-96CE-DBC039EFC897.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	14745  

2. Back To Top    #282

While they look quite large... with good reason as I wanted more space... I reckon my previous 4.5l will now become 7-8 litres. I will use my fishing pellets to measure the volume accurately, I can’t wait to get some music back in and see just how wide the stage will be with both sides out further... the passenger side alone was an awesome difference when timed up and the three all pass filters to sort the phase a little

also my new set of sb acoustics sb29rdnc c0004 tweeters will be here before the weekend which I know are excellent and have really good dynamics, and with my new found tuning skills I am hoping to get myself to the next level for the euro finals in April...

I should also give special mention to someone Ive never met, but went out of his way to message me with some very nice help in case I need it at some point later... you know who you are and I am eternally grateful, fingers crossed I won’t need the favour... but we shall see

3. Back To Top    #283

So the unofficial estimate a side measurement says I have made 8.5 litres which is approx a q of 7.5 I’d guess (0.707 is 9.5 from memory... so I am happy with the size I have managed to extract... now comes the awkward part... I finished the side of the passenger side enclosure and kerf cut the side across the diamond in the vertical fold line... then realised why I decided to do it in the horizontal orientation... the pesky 40mm rule so although it has a side on it... I shall be removing it and placing a slightly different side on it tomorrow night... ah well, Rome wasn’t built in a day... once I’ve got both sides in shape I will milkshake them both and add some lead shot into the mix to add some mass to the walls, I also gave each enclosure a fourth fixing point into the top of the a pillar to give it some vertical stability and firmly clamp it in (it has a single fixing down into the 3mm steel atop the cross bar, and two screws into the front of the same tube also), it didn’t feel right just having the three going downwards and nothing sideways...

all the fixings are in the enclosure as I’m not 100% where the tweeters will sit as yet (the mids width decides where the tweeter sits to match the mids width for the staging test on the Emma disc) so once I have made the position of the mid fixed I can then work on the tweeter, for now I’ll likely temporarily fix the tweeter rings in until I’ve solod the mids and played, I have a choice of scan d3004/602000 or sb acoustics sb29rdnc c-0004 to ply with... both have a beryllium the same size...

Name:	250F5270-FF54-4F82-8218-4DF773613D34.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	14759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5AF8A6A-3B72-486E-A7AC-EFECB7DE3C83.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	14760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2597B342-AA3A-4739-AF8C-F32F842CBDF0.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	14761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3CACABDB-2223-4BA6-B826-303202F7F240.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	14762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A92B8DFE-0A4D-45E8-A026-7582336AB757.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	14763  

Name:	A41C25F3-AD51-4719-A6F7-19C0DF3995BC.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	14764  

4. Back To Top    #284

Do you mean the 40mm EMMA rule? I just looked it up - didn't know that existed.

I may have similar concerns - I am building a rig in my basement to do some testing of different dashboard placements and alignments over the winter (so I can do it where it's warm), and one of mine could end up like yours - overlapping the side windows a bit.

In my case I'm not worried about visibility, the side windows go far enough out that I'm not going to risk a blind spot, even on the passenger side-
    But what I am worried about (and also why I'm building a rig inside, where it's nice and warm, for the winter!) is defrosting my side windows. Right now there's a little vent that blows on the windows to defrost them, and one possible alignment could block it. I was going to ask you about that, but realized if you ever had a defrost vent there - it's long gone.

I was going to look into some sort of a heater element strip - something like the heater elements that I installed under the upholstery in my front seats to convert them into heated seats. If small, safe heater elements like that exist, and could switch on with my heated outside mirrors - that could passively defrost maybe even better than the defogger vent.

But I'm guessing that's not your concern - just the 40mm rule.

Out of curiosity, how do they measure that? I may use it for a guideline in my own build, even though mine isn't being built for competition. Is it measured using line-of-sight from the headrest, or do they just care about making your A-pillars and sail-panels extend directly over the window? I mean - if you had a wall that came over the windshield or side window, but away from the window at a 45 degree angle... do they measure that wall linearly, or for blockage - maybe 45 degrees is even enough to ensure 0 blockage although a wall might actually be big - seems like there must be some criteria for measuring it?

5. Back To Top    #285

It’s basically 40mm from the dots on the screen at right angles to your line of sight, so on the drivers side it’s more or less across the screen flat... 2 lines of insulation tape is 38mm, the windscreen it’s straight up more or less from the dots at the bottom of the screen, the passenger side you get lots of space as it’s normally 40mm at 45ish degrees forward from the dots, so more like 70mm but as most people make both sides match...

yeah I have no side window vents... however oddly I’ve had no issues with side windows steaming up as yet... if I need to find a solution I will do so, I have a variety of routes to duct hot air

6. Back To Top    #286

Yeah, I was wondering...
    Sometimes these rules - which always come from inarguably good intentions - end up either being difficult to avoid a controversial interpretation, or end up actually creating a loophole... and the worst is when it invalidates someone's prior-good (and prior-invested-in) installation.

There's a thread on here about another new SQ sanctioning body that just fired up. I made the point that those kind of attempts to lump all cars into this series of classes that essentially force everyone to comply, and only offer one dimension of progression, moving from class up to... well, the next class. No other option.

You'll comply and like it. I mentioned that single-yet-nebulous groove is off-putting to people who might have otherwise been interested in getting involved... and also happens to be exactly what causes this eternal evolution in rules... and also what happens to cause competitors with their OWN perfectly-good-ideas to branch off and start their own new organizations.

I was hoping that maybe finally someone recognized the fundamental issue... but alas.

/soapbox

We'll see what I end up with, like I said I'm not TOO afraid of blocking my vent or creating an air-shadow - I was thinking of something like a simple heating element that wouldn't require actual air to blow or re-ducting. Maybe it'll just work out, like yours here. Definitely following, really love this install.

If you have some time, just because it's what I'm going to be playing with this winter - can you describe about where your image center, image depth, and image width extend to? I've built a listening rig in my basement to emulate my car dash/pillars/windows/windscreen (actually a real windscreen), just to play with that aspect without slicing and dicing my car.. and without freezing in the cold because we have snow here.

7. Back To Top    #287

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering...
    Sometimes these rules - which always come from inarguably good intentions - end up either being difficult to avoid a controversial interpretation, or end up actually creating a loophole... and the worst is when it invalidates someone's prior-good (and prior-invested-in) installation.

There's a thread on here about another new SQ sanctioning body that just fired up. I made the point that those kind of attempts to lump all cars into this series of classes that essentially force everyone to comply, and only offer one dimension of progression, moving from class up to... well, the next class. No other option.

You'll comply and like it. I mentioned that single-yet-nebulous groove is off-putting to people who might have otherwise been interested in getting involved... and also happens to be exactly what causes this eternal evolution in rules... and also what happens to cause competitors with their OWN perfectly-good-ideas to branch off and start their own new organizations.

I was hoping that maybe finally someone recognized the fundamental issue... but alas.

/soapbox

We'll see what I end up with, like I said I'm not TOO afraid of blocking my vent or creating an air-shadow - I was thinking of something like a simple heating element that wouldn't require actual air to blow or re-ducting. Maybe it'll just work out, like yours here. Definitely following, really love this install.

If you have some time, just because it's what I'm going to be playing with this winter - can you describe about where your image center, image depth, and image width extend to? I've built a listening rig in my basement to emulate my car dash/pillars/windows/windscreen (actually a real windscreen), just to play with that aspect without slicing and dicing my car.. and without freezing in the cold because we have snow here.
    I get what you’re saying, but rules like the 40mm rule are about safety

you’d lose 3 points a side if it didn’t fit that particular rule

and as for classes you get that in disciplines of every sport or hobby... they have to be there for fair competition, I don’t see an issue with classes for competition...

As for your basement unless you’ve got a whole car down there (you need the sides and back to make it proper) it will give no indication of a car environment due to standing waves, reflections and the actual environment your putting the drivers in... I like the way you think, but comparing a basement to a vehicle is pointless, it will sadly sound nothing like when moved into a car phase issues, reflections all influence where your sound system needs to head... it’s like taking a nascar to Laguna seca to set it up for an oval track... the testing and setup would be irrelevant given the different arena

8. Back To Top    #288

I pretty much am doing that...

I am not directly creating sides below the windows or a rear, but I have something around 200 of these fiberglass acoustic panels (second picture) that i can prop up all around until my sweeps are reasonably equivalent.

This is all still early construction - I'm planning on mocking up a console, and also have an amusing white faux-fur area rug of my fiancee's to go under the rig after I've stopped making sawdust... I definitely haven't finished the rig yet or started any of the listening (other than the two tweeters I temporarily hooked up with those midbass - maybe you can see the four passive Xovers on each side - one on top of the side cabinets and three down each side leg of the frame). I have curved but haven't even secured the polycarbonate of the side windows yet.

Just as important - my experiments are targeting the upper 50% of the spectrum only (although I have midbass in cabinets, I'm tied to my locations) - and are all experiments in above-dash executions... and are simply to prove/disprove the viability, of a few concepts that haven't been done in car before.

More of that will be going on ALL winter on my build thread - I'm not going to de-rail your thread here.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #289

So the fat bird, bird boxes are sorted, glassed and superglued where appropriate, and then milkshaked approx 400ml in each bird box was enough, maybe 350... I know there is a funky shape in the bottom of the bin now end size was just over 8 litres which is nearly double the old enclosures

i even put some nesting materials in for the fat birds the recycled denim from the old pods and also some Dacron also

i have also added some baffles temporarily spaced out 20mm on the outer side, and 10mm at the centre point so it follows the rake of the front face, I have then used industrial hot glue with some double thickness corrugated cardboard to fill the gaps between the baffle and face, this is easier to remove and return to standard vs ca glue, I did use a bit of ca glue for the initial mounting of face to spacer to baffle, nothing a grinder won’t sort out

Once I’d attached the baffles I also added some cables for the mids with plugs added so I don’t have to keep unsoldering the mids each time I want to swap spacer/angle

also... when assembling enclosures with ca glue... watch out for mysterious holes that ca glue dribbles through, I managed to stick the left build to the forward dash section, removal ripped a corking hole in the fabric, luckily I have lots of the grill cloth so it’s no biggy to swap it out and re-trim it

Name:	1BD6F21F-5D76-4607-816C-E8679E162351.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	14795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F46C4C7-9619-4C8D-82B3-356BF37CF70E.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	14794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2804BBB8-BDF7-4C82-833C-9B84DEEF2FDB.jpg 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	14793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9626DF5-2930-4F64-B53D-10BAD5046A7A.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	14792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFA2A5C2-552C-4962-AAB2-096387756E49.jpg 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	14791  

Name:	9D0932E4-266D-4DE0-B3B7-A56E64E359CD.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	14796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FC6019F-05DB-4381-9529-0DDD3038347E.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	14797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B7F4BA8-9A22-4C68-A858-1DCA9CA96C8F.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	14798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40BB377F-0B7C-4FF5-910F-1E1F8A7300E7.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	14799  

10. Back To Top    #290

Intrigued to see the final shapes now - I like how you are setting it up with the wings - could be any shape.
    Leaving us all wondering. No clues.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk