Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JimmyDee's BMW Build Log

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Vehicle
    4Runner & Altima Coupe

Re: JimmyDee's BMW Build Log

Very nice! I wish I had a garage to work in.
    I've got a budget of $1,000. That should be more than enough.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Very nice work considering it was so cold. Glad you didn't break any plastic panels. That's always my biggest fear when pulling panels in the cold...but this is Arkansas so our cold is like a warm Summer day to you
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Very nice work considering it was so cold. Glad you didn't break any plastic panels. That's always my biggest fear when pulling panels in the cold...but this is Arkansas so our cold is like a warm Summer day to you
    I broke one clip on the back of the passenger door. Nothing major. It all went back together fine.

Summers are very nice and warm here... but winters are cold.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

4. Back To Top    #14

Couple updates (per my original post):

The new mObridge DA-G2.PRO arrived this morning.
    I removed the DA3 and replaced it with the new unit... sounds the same.

I pulled the door skins off, and replaced the MDF speaker rings with HDPE ones:

Last edited by JimmyDee; 12-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

5. Back To Top    #15

Awesome job and great write up... I’m on the planning stages for a very similar car (2017 BMW X5M).

So very interested in your build!

Hopefully mine will look as nice as yours when I’m done with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #16

The new mObridge DA.G2-PRO has 10 output channels, which is what I needed (9 actually).
    It also has a new algorythm to upmix a center channel (which I'm not using - but maybe in the future).
    These are the two main advantages over my prior mObridge DA3.

I spent about 4 hours tuning the new mObridge DA.G2-PRO unit today.
    It's a bit more work than my previous Helix DSP-Pro, but I believe I have got it sounding just as good.

The advantage with the Helix, is that it has a built-in RTA, and can auto-tune (helps to get the baseline EQ'ing done).
    The mObridge has none of this, so I needed to do RTA measurtements with REW, and then manually adjust the EQ settings for each (and every) speaker.

My original plan was to also get a new Helix DSP-Ultra (when it is released)... but I'm not so sure now. After properly tuning; the mObridge sounds REALLY good.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    My original plan was to also get a new Helix DSP-Ultra (when it is released)... but I'm not so sure now. After properly tuning; the mObridge sounds REALLY good.
    Although I am pleased with the sound from the new mObridge DA-G2.PRO, I found myself constantly dreaming of that new Helix DSP-Ultra.
    I went ahead and ordered one (as well as the Helix SDMI25 MOST interface). Will post an update, once I get it all installed and tuned.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

8. Back To Top    #18

Hi JimmyDee, I was just curious if you knew whether or not those 8” drivers work in all BMW underseat openings. I have never heard of them and wonder why. Is it possible your enclosures or opening are larger than in some other BMW models? Also, do you happen to know what the port in the enclosures is tuned to? Just curious if the response falls off a cliff at any particular frequency. Thank you so much for creating a thread with so much detail and photos.

9. Back To Top    #19

yeah I'd be curious as well how high you play those woofers. Also, what do you think about the door mid location ? I know Andy was always saying it was a great location for mids, but geez, I just don't know - it seems at odds with what I've experienced.
    The MoBridge - if you could save me the trouble of looking itup - is that also "decoding" the stock BMW output or is mostly a straightforward DSP ? I am thinking it has technology in it to grab the digiital OEM signal from the in car bus or something ? If so are you decoding that signal and removing factory processing or is it pure ?

I don't even know why I am asking, I've never considered a BMW vehicle in my life, but just curious I guess. I know someday I will have to buy a late model something or other and like to keep abreast of what's needed.

10. Back To Top    #20

Gonna try to answer both above posts:

Yes, the W800-NEO's will work in all BMW underseat locations... but you need to fabricate a spacer ring.

To be honest; I don't think the port in the OEM enclosure is 'tuned' at all... it's just designed to be a ported enclosure for an IB speaker.

I don't try to use the underseat as any type of subwoofer (I have a separate sub for that). Instead; I use it as a midwoofer, and have it tuned from 80Hz to 250Hz.

The location of the mid in the door is actually very good! Seems to be a decent height, and blends nicely with the OEM tweeter location.
    I'm sure there could be improvements, if the tweeter and mid were together in a custom pod... but the OEM locations are just fine.

I'm not going to spend much time explaining what the mObridge unit is...
    But essentially; yes, it is a full factory interface unit, that handles all sound inputs from the vehicle's fibre optic network.
    This includes: Full Audio (volume, balance, bass, treble, etc.), Navigation, Bluetooth Phone, Door Chime, Park Distance Tones. Everything.
    https://mobridge.us/product/da-g2-pro-most25/
    New Car... Stock Stereo