Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JimmyDee's BMW Build Log

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: JimmyDee's BMW Build Log

More changes...

I blew-up the Audiofrog GB10D2 sub... so I replaced it with a Hertz ML2500.3 Legend.
    The Hertz feels like a LOT more sturdy speaker.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDJPAfh.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	9510

I also swapped the MMATS HiFi-6150D, for a Zapco Z150.6-AP
    I've always been a Zapco fanboy. Actually, the MMATS amps were my first deviation from Zapco.
    Been curious about the Z-AP, since they were released... got a good deal on a used one.

I had to re-do my entire trunk to fit the sufboard... I mean amp.
    Sub enclosure goes across the entire backside, and is dropped 3" on the right side to accomadate the Helix DSP-Ultra.
    Amp rack is 2-tier, and has the power distribution and MMATS HiFi-4250D under the Zapco.

Name:	LeoIlCx.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	9511
    New Car... Stock Stereo

2. Back To Top    #32

Well we all know about audiophile bias but very interested if you notice any difference between the 2 amps. I like the looks pedigree and A/B of the Zapco, but pretty tempted in my next build to just say F it and go class D all the way.
    I personally doubt I could hear the difference but maybe you can ?

3. Back To Top    #33

I can hear a difference...
    They both sound incredibly clear... but the Zapco sounds 'warmer'.

To be honest; I think I like the sound of the MMATS better!
    Maybe I'm just used to its sound...

I also haven't done any tuning since the new install, so that will likely make a difference.
    But just swapping amp for amp... ya, I can hear a difference.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

How about you comparative description between the Hertz and AF? Almost bought the Mmats a few times now.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #35

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    How about you comparative description between the Hertz and AF? Almost bought the Mmats a few times now.
    I'll be honest; I can't really say that one sounds better than the other...
    They're both nice subs. Both thump out pretty good bass (for a sealed enclosure setup).

I destroyed the A-F sub, because of my own stupidity.
    I was working on my system for a couple hours, with my rear hatch open - while it was MINUS 25 Celcius outside.
    Then, after I was done; I promptly got in the vehicle, started it up, and cranked-up the system.
    Freezing friggen cold sub and rubber surround, combined with 800 watts from the MMATS, quickly destroyed it...

Can't really compare 'apples to apples' here, because I built a new enclosure for the Hertz sub.
    The old enclosure was built at 0.67 cu ft - per Audiofrog spec.
    The new enclosure is built at 0.75 cu ft - per Hertz spec.

I'm getting more thump out of the Hertz sub... but that's a combination of: a bigger enclosure, and different tuning (increase @ 32Hz).
    When I originally got the Hertz, I dropped it into the old enclosure (direct swap), with the same tuning... and it sounded the same as the Frog.

Name:	20200302_145104.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	9700
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 03-14-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

6. Back To Top    #36

Been a while since I've update this build log... but have made a number of changes.

I pulled the Sinfoni Tempo 10 tweeters, and replaced them with these:

Name:	20200504_155121.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	11788

Had to do a full rebuild on the stock sail panels - which are actually the entire window trim piece.
    Cut out the Harman-Kardon Factory Grille and guts behind it (I cut out that entire triangle area):

Name:	20200505_102541.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	11789

Used the Focal surface-mounting cup. Angled it how I wanted it, and glued it into place.
    Then filled the area with Bondo, to get the shape.

Name:	20200505_182315.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	11790

After 3 coats of Bondo and sanding, I put a final coat of Glazing Putty on to finish it smooth.
    One final sand with 320 grit, and then a coat of SEM Texture Paint.
    Then 2 coats of SEM Black Trim Paint to finish it:

Name:	20200507_122256.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	11791

Attached wires to the tweeters, and heat shrink the connection:

Name:	20200507_125339.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	11792

Installed the tweeters into the sails, and connected 47uF capacitors to the positive side:

Name:	20200507_125757.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	11793

Then installed them back into the vehicle:

Name:	20200507_155138.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	11794

They looked pretty good.
    The SEM Texture Paint matched the OEM finish well... but I wanted to give these tweeters their due justice...
    ... so I ended-up pulling them, and refinishing the sail / entire trim piece with black Alcantara.

Name:	20200517_132634 (002).jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	11795
    New Car... Stock Stereo

7. Back To Top    #37

After 3 years of having MMATS amps... it was time for something new.
    I'll give credit, where credit is due; those MMATS HiFi amps were some of the best I've ever owned.
    100% recommend them, without hesitation.

I originally replaced the 6-channel with a Zapco Z-AP amp.
    It really is a special amp, and again, I would recommend the Z-AP Series, in a heartbeat.

Name:	20200302_145104.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	11810

But, I had been eyeing the Mosconi PRO amps for a few years...
    It's the kind of amp where you either love the looks of them, or you hate them. Personally, I love them!
    I replaced everything with a pair of Mosconi PRO's:

Name:	20200519_155523 (002).jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	11811

They really are a special amp series. Mosconi put a lot of time and R&D into developing these.
    Aside from the pure Italian sexiness of them; they deliver incredibly clean sound. I couldn't be happier.

I like the way Mosconi has staggered the power output on the 5/30. It makes it a very versatile amp.
    They've combined a Class A/B for the main stage, and a Class D for the subwoofer, into one chassis.

I combined the 5/30 and the 4/10 to run my entire system, and it sounds ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

PRO 5/30:
    90 watts @ 4 ohm - to each tweeter (Focal TBM)
    185 watts @ 4 ohm - to each midbass (W800-NEO)
    660 watts @ 4 ohm - to the sub (Mille 2500.3)

PRO 4/10:
    120 watts @ 4 ohm - to each midrange (Esotar 430)
    120 watts @ 4 ohm - to the rear fill (Audiofrog GB)
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 06-14-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

8. Back To Top    #38

Not that I'm familiar with the Sinfoni tweeters but what are your thoughts on the Focal tweeters ?

Do you really feel that you can tell an SQ difference between the 3 amplifier brands ? Cuz I'm not sure I could hear a difference between mediocre and high end amps, much less between 3 different brands of high end amps.

9. Back To Top    #39

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    Not that I'm familiar with the Sinfoni tweeters but what are your thoughts on the Focal tweeters ?
    If the question is regarding my old Sinfoni's versus the new Focal TBM's, then there's no comparison. Seriously.
    The Sinfoni's are damn fine tweeters. They are one of the only things I've consistently kept, and transferred between 3 different vehicles.
    As a matter of fact; I've still kept them... won't sell them.

But the Focal Beryllium tweeter is from a totaly different planet... they are so accurate, it's astonishing.
    It doesn't matter how much power you put to them - no matter what volume you're playing them at - they keep perfect composure.
    With that said; they are also ridiculously expensive... but worth every penny (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    Do you really feel that you can tell an SQ difference between the 3 amplifier brands ?
    Short answer: YES and NO.
    I could definitely hear a difference between the MMATS amp and the Zapco amp.
    The sound difference between the Zapco and the Mosconi was a bit less noticable, but they do sound different.

Now, with that said; I'm not going to claim that any of them sounded better than the other... just different.
    All three brands are exceptional SQ amps, and none of them is a clear winner over the other.

But I will say this; the Mosconi setup is the 'best suited' for my particular system.
    They fit the best. I think they looks the best. And the various power outputs of the amps is best matched for my speakers.
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 06-14-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

10. Back To Top    #40

Yeah just looked up the price on those yowza. Would love to compare against the ScanSpeak D3004/6040, Satori TW29BN, or Esotar.
    I'm always mentioning that I don't think I coudl hear the difference (can't hear above 10k anyway), but it would be a fun listening session.