Thread: Regular Pioneer GM-d vs GM-d with HQ sound parts

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Regular Pioneer GM-d vs GM-d with HQ sound parts

Considering these are becoming the latest forum boner (don't mean this derogatory in any way) I was browsing the Pioneer website. There's a limited edition with gold plated rca's and "HQ sound parts". Anyone know what the upgrade consists of besides gold plated rca's? They didn't really say much on the website. For the 5ch the price difference is something like $125 between the two. I'd love to give these amps a try at some point for the sake of space and current draw. Maybe in the next year if I get bored and have some spare play money. Biggest thing is whether or not the "upgrade" would make an audible difference and/or increase peak service life. A part of me wants to believe the difference is worth it but the skeptical part says it's simply snake oil and pretty gold rca jacks.
    https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...Digital+Series
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: Regular Pioneer GM-d vs GM-d with HQ sound parts

I'm glad you asked about this. I was wondering the same.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Don't shy away from the regular version Hillbilly as its an excellent sounding and powerful amplifier. You saw my amp shootout on DIYMA right? I also own a Pioneer PRS d4200f version of this amplifier with the higher quality parts that powers my Mazda Cx5 front stage and I think the D8604 sounds just as good if not better so this updated version with probably the same board is likely very good. The Pioneer D8604 was noticeably better sounding than the Zapco St SQ I had too in the blind tests I did. The Pioneer was neck and neck with the top performing DLS cci44 which I actually have for sale right now.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #4

I've always been a fan of Pioneer car audio gear. Even their D-series speakers are great for what they are and what they cost (not sure about the current versions, but the previous line of D-series speakers is what I have in my other car).

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Be nice to have a peek under the casing !
    If you can see a difference & hear a difference ?
    *Try one *

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Be nice to have a peek under the casing !
    If you can see a difference & hear a difference ?
    *Try one *
    Queef, there are very small differences that are so small that you wouldn’t know unless doing blind back to back testing. I’ve done a bunch of that with many amplifiers and some big power supplies with nice Kef speakers. The PRS looks to be built better but I’ve lost those gut shots I used to have. The listed specifications for the limited addition are the same as the regular addition too. I don’t think there would be a sonic difference to be honest.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

The only way for us to really know would be to send both to someone who knows what they're looking at as far as part quality goes then do a listening test while they're at it. I'm going to at a minimum get the 4ch to go in place of my Zapco so I can move the dsp under the protective cover.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

The manual is the same for both models. The only addendum is this:
    GM-DX975
    In order to listen to music with Hi-Res sound quality, all components complied with High-Resolution Audio Standard of Japan Audio Society are recommended to use.

The product with this logo is conformed to High-Resolution Audio standard defined by Japan Audio Society.
    This logo is used under license from Japan Audio Society.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

SACD (some need player), and based on what Al shows . . . Meh

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    The manual is the same for both models. The only addendum is this:
    Coulda swore I saw that in the specs for the non-HQ version but checked again and guess I got scrambled. We can blame it on the holiday food brain fog. At some point next year I'll probably get the 5ch non-HQ version for midbass and sub and the HQ (High Res) version for mids and highs since there MIGHT be an audible difference in the range it would be used. If anything they'd be a big space saver and can set my current amps aside for a bit. Sorry Nasty I'm gonna hang on to your well endowed Helix amp because it's something I would regret getting rid of