Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '66 Chevelle

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: '66 Chevelle

Time to start the major construction project for the car...the sub enclosure.

Keeping with the "keep it hidden" goal of the build, I decided to build a 4th order and send the port through the rear deck. This puts all sound created by the subs in the cabin area and eliminates the possibility of a flappy trunk...which means I don't need to waste sound deadening in the trunk. An added bonus of this configuration is that the port is horn loaded off the rear glass.

To seal off the trunk from the cabin area (to increase SPL numbers in BOBOS competition) I made templates then cut 1/2" plywood to fill the open areas in the structure behind the rear seat back. I used a layer of CLD/CCF deadener on the front side of the new wall to seal the wall and decouple the seat back from the metal structure of the car.

I literally climbed into the trunk to get all the measurements, angles, and so on so I could get available volume calculated, make my initial design sketch, get on the Term-Pro and start modeling the enclosure.

The final design led me to around a 2:1 ratio (2 cubes in the vented side for every 1 cube on the sealed side) with a port of 160in^2 tuned to 58Hz.

With the space I had available (and, more importantly, the amount of trunk I was willing to give up) I built the vented side with an internal volume of about 6ft^3 and 3ft^3 on the sealed side.

This still didn't give me the ratio I wanted for this build (3:1) so I used an old article from Tom Nousaine that absolutely works and used polyfill to get an effective vented enclosure volume of 9ft^3.

A 3:1 ratio has less bandwidth and a higher peak output. Not good for SQ. Fortunately transfer function helps out and I have the processing to tame the peak for SQ.

Since I plan to compete MECA BOBOS (SPL and SQ) I wanted to have the ability to have a higher ratio enclosure that I could revert back to a lower ratio (2:1) by simply removing the polyfill if I choose to do so later. Easy.

The design of the enclosure also gives me the ability to change ports. That way I can run longer ports and tune to a lower frequency or change ports to keep the same tuned frequency if I add or remove polyfill and change the effective enclosure volume of the vented side. The 160in^2 port area ensures that I'll never have chuffing from the column of air that'll be moving through the rear deck.

When I started this I planned on getting the two 15s up and running immediately but life dictated otherwise. As a result the first competition with the car was done after night of thrashing to get the horns/mids in and powered with a JL HD900/5 and, at 6am, I threw together a 1ft^3 sealed enclosure for an Audiofrog GB12D2, put about 1/2hr of tuning on it, and hit the road. At the time half of the 4th order was in the car, the 900/5 was on a MDF plate, and the GB12 enclosure was free to roam around the trunk as much as all the excess cabling, backpacks, chairs, and such would allow.

Everyone LOVED the car. Folks that would get in for a demo would spend 20-30 minutes in the car at a time. It was crazy. In my head I knew the crap that was piled into the trunk but there was something about it that everyone absolutely loved.

I had a judge compliment me on how well the 4th order blended in with the fronts when he came out of the car. Later in the day after awards were handed out I asked him about the car again...and told him there was no 4th order playing. He pointed to the big port in the rear deck.

I opened the trunk and showed him the mess. He shook his head "Just keep doing what you're doing"

Anyway, here's some photos.

Sitting in the trunk stretched out and making measurements.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trunkmeasurement.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	7900

The main carcass of the vented portion of the enclosure. The odd opening locations are due to the trunk torsion bars/mount locations.

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	286.8 KB 
ID:	7896

My daughter working on the vented section. Installing EZ-LOK inserts so the port can be bolted/unbolted as needed.

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	7897

The sealed section of the enclosure with a mounting flange for the 3/4" acrylic window with EZ-LOK inserts in place.

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	7899

My daughter installing Hushmat's Quiet Tape to the mounting surface of the port flange so it sealed to the enclosure body. I also use this to seal acrylic window to the sealed section.

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	7898

2. Back To Top    #12

Now to get it all in the car...

I ran an air saw on the rear deck to cut an opening for the bathtub of a port. The size of the open cut into the openings someone cut into the rear deck of the car for 6x9s. Since I plan on running 6x9s I needed to cut new locations and weld in filler panels.

With the opening cut to allow the port to fit through the rear deck, It's a two person process to get the vented section in the car. Someone from the inside has to hold the flanged port section while the other person slides the vented enclosure section into the car. Once it's in and in place the port is attached to the enclosure with machine screws into the EZ-LOKs. I used the EZ-LOK inserts so the MDF doesn't wear out. The vented section is then bolted through the trunk floor to the car.

With the vented section in place the sealed section is loaded in, centered in the car, the bolted to the face of the vented section from inside the vented section.

Once the two sections of the enclosure are bolted together the subs can be wired and loaded.

Here's initial install of the enclosure in the car. The trunk hinges dictated that I clearance the enclosure so the trunk could close.
    Attachment 7905

I broke out the chisel set and got to work. Here's a couple of pictures the areas that needed to be chiseled away and a couple photos of the clearanced piece in the car.
    Attachment 7902

Attachment 7901

Attachment 7903

Attachment 7904

3. Back To Top    #13

A couple of pictures of the port in the rear deck and the butchered rear deck.

Attachment 7906

Attachment 7908

To temporarily give the trunk a more finished look I cut an opening in the package tray cover to allow the port to pass through. It's longer that needed at this point, but this picture gives you an idea of how massive this port really is. It will be completely hidden when I'm done with this rear deck.
    Attachment 7907

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
    Everyone LOVED the car. Folks that would get in for a demo would spend 20-30 minutes in the car at a time. It was crazy. In my head I knew the crap that was piled into the trunk but there was something about it that everyone absolutely loved.
    What were you running back in Chantilly last year? I don't remember that I looked in the trunk. I feel like at one point during the day you swapped it to the SPL set up, which was wild to watch the way the steering wheel moved. Hoping if you have a meet at your place again next year that I can make it down, tough though with work schedules.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    What were you running back in Chantilly last year? I don't remember that I looked in the trunk. I feel like at one point during the day you swapped it to the SPL set up, which was wild to watch the way the steering wheel moved. Hoping if you have a meet at your place again next year that I can make it down, tough though with work schedules.
    Forgive me, I'm deep into a migraine and it's hard to keep clear, coherent thoughts. This might seem a bit "rambly"...

At the Chantilly meet I was running the two 15s...and that was the (very basic) 2-seat SQ tune you heard. I actually had the 3000W RMS DD Audio M3c on the subs and the Mosconi AS 100.4 on the horns/MB-8s so I didn't have the power on the mids that intended it to have (AS 200.2 @ 2 ohms/channel). She'll have more umph in the mids soon.

While I have tons of tunes available with the Director, I only had about 40 total minutes tuning the car that year.

So the tune you heard/saw at Chantilly that was shaking the steering wheel was the 2-seat SQ tune. Since I had been throwing the car together the night before/morning of an event to get points, I never really spent proper time on the build and sitting down to do in-depth tuning or set up different tunes for each of the BOBOS events. I also used that 2-seat tune for single seat competition. *shrug

I went to the Team Deadly Hertz show and both the SQ and SPL guys liked the tune. Those are the guys that I remember spending a long time in the car. My head was killing me at the Chantilly show...I don't remember much of it.

I do remember asking Keith Turner what he thought when he got out and he said "Not as bad as I expected." I asked what he meant and he said that he typically doesn't like horn cars. "They're harsh." Said this one wasn't harsh and that he was pleasantly surprised.

I also remember Ata getting in and listening to the 2-seat tune. He sat and listened to different stuff and started going up in volume. His response was "This is the loudest f**king SQ car I've ever sat in."

The way I set gain structure and tune I'll have head unit at full clean output, levels in the Helix at 0dB (full signal), and set the amp gain.

At that point everything in the signal chain is set for clean signal at full boogie. When I start an SQ tune I will go to the Director and set sub volume to mid-point (-20dB) and then all level adjustment at that point is done per channel in the processor. The subwoofer channel level is always reduced in the individual channel level as well.

When I tune that way (with Director sub level at -20dB) I can hit the road with that SQ tune and have a range of adjustment for the subs for those times when I (or the kids) want to get silly. That's all I did to get silly loud and shake stuff...turned up the SQ tune.

I haven't tried to get true numbers yet because I'm still building it, but the SPL tune has/will have more output than what you saw that day.

If I have a meet next year (which is the plan) it'll definitely be playing.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Cool Re: '66 Chevelle

Getting props from Keith and Ata turning it up (says it all).

"Proof is in the pudding"

. . . . . . . . .

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
    Forgive me, I'm deep into a migraine and it's hard to keep clear, coherent thoughts. This might seem a bit "rambly"...
    No need for forgiveness, thanks for typing that all out, especially while suffering with a migraine. My wife suffers with them, hopefully you start to feel better this morning, from the way she describes them I don't wish that on anyone.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Agree with above! It is a beautiful car in pictures and especially in person. I love the idea of adding a BOBOS level system in a classic car, and Jason certainly has the skill to pull it off. I enjoyed a demo I got at the Hickory event a year or so ago (if my fiddly memory serves as to where / when that was) - I remembered enjoying the ‘fun’ nature of the car - the horns just seemed to present my music in a fresh way vs the other cars denied that day. Once this is completed and fully tuned, it will be extraordinary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro