Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose some Midbass

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me choose some Midbass

So, in my upcoming build I was going to use some Hybrid Unity components active in the front, but just came upon a great deal on some AudioFrog GB25 mids that I can put in the dash locations. My question is for the Midbass...I would love to put in some GB60 but they are outside of my current budget. One day I will replace this selection with some GB60s, but for now I need something.

My current budget is around $300 for the Midbass, my selection list currently consists of:

1. Audiofrog GS60
    2. Dayton RS180
    3. SB Acoustics SB17NRX2C35-4
    4. Hybrid Unity Woofers

Also looking at other selections. I have to double check available mounting depth. It will be in a 2015 Sonata Sport.

Thanks for your input.
    MikeG

Current Rides:
    2015 Sonata Sport (OEM integrated system coming soon)
    2015 Chevy Traverse (Maybe a system later)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Help me choose some Midbass

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If it were my money I'd either keep it in the family with the gs60's or give the Stevens mb6 a try. You'll love the gb25.

Disclaimer: I've never used or even heard either of the exact midbass drivers I suggested but on paper the mb6 looks way better to me as long as you don't cross too low trying to force it to be a subwoofer instead of just a midbass.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

i'd definitely take the gs60 over the unity, which iirc is the imagine woofer with a dust cap. i ran the imagines in the past and the gs60 are hands-down a better driver (not hating on the imagines/unity or any other HAT product, still a fan of their products, but the audiofrog is just better).

i've heard the nvx rebrand of those sb acoustics and they are nice, but i think the gs60 is a better driver than them for midbass duties as well, and the gs60 will survive better in the car environment.

don't have enough experience with the rs180 to say either way, only heard them once several years ago and remember liking them but not sure how they compare. can say for sure that the gs60 will be an easier install though, being that they are a more typical mounting diameter & much shallower depth

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    If it were my money I'd either keep it in the family with the gs60's or give the Stevens mb6 a try. You'll love the gb25.

Disclaimer: I've never used or even heard either of the exact midbass drivers I suggested but on paper the mb6 looks way better to me as long as you don't cross too low trying to force it to be a subwoofer instead of just a midbass.
    Sub duties will be handled by 2 Audiofrog G10D4. If I have the space, I will definitely be considering the mb6. Also looking for a set of SI TM65 or possibly even the Anarchy if there is room.
    MikeG

Current Rides:
    2015 Sonata Sport (OEM integrated system coming soon)
    2015 Chevy Traverse (Maybe a system later)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Those g10's oughta get on up there pretty good. I had a sealed g12 in my Grand Cherokee and that thing was really nice on just 300rms.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #7

Without too much hassle, you could use an ID X69 - you'll have 8" cone area but it should be easier to install in a 6.5" cavity
    Power handling is high too - last ID Demo vehicle I heard had a Q1200.1 on each side

Kelvin

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

1. Audiofrog GS60 - recommend these. These will also have high resale value.
    2. Dayton RS180 - didn’t use
    3. SB Acoustics SB17NRX2C35-4 - I had the NVX X series (same driver) and this is a nice driver. Very similar tonality to the GB60 for midrange. Will need rain 1guards to survive in a car door.
    4. Hybrid Unity Woofers - didn’t use

i own the GB60 paired with GB15 but I also own the JL C5 mid woofers which I feel are more on par with the AF GS60 and really like those too.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

9. Back To Top    #9

What is your size limit for the midbass?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

The IDX by nines , like subwoofery said !