Thread: Tune #1

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Tune #1

Hi folks!

I have been soaking up the knowledge around this place as fast as I can get it. dumdum has been kind and patient enough to spend some time showing me the ropes. Obviously I still have TONS to learn and I need to Allen Iverson the shit out this (talkin' 'bout practice). But I have pretty thick skin and wouldn't mind some feedback and constructive criticism on my first attempt after my first lesson.

I know dumdum and I will have an indepth chat about the results but feel free to put your 2 cents in too.
    Crossovers: Sub: 80 Woofs: 80/355 Mids: 395/3950 Tweets: 4050

What concerns you about the graph? Can you spot phase or TA issues? I have more graphs saved too, so feel free to ask.

Graphs at 1/6 and 1/48 smoothing

Thanks!!

Edit: I have since rounded the bass off FYI!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t1.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	7798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	7799

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Tune #1

I feel like I'm being tuned out! Ahaha! I'll see myself out. Sorry!

If anyone needs more info. to form an opinion, just let me know.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    2015 Ford Escape TI with sony

What house curve is that? Or is it one you just like the sound of?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Its actually one from a friend I have been practicing with. I find it harder to tune to a curve than to tune flat. So this is the one I have had the most trouble with. I have also used Justin Zazzi's curve. It has more of a trough between 1000 and 4000 and sounds great in the truck.

Honestly, this curve sounds AMAZING at moderate levels but a touch harsh at full tilt, so I use it to practice manipulating the curve.

Do you have a curve you prefer?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    2015 Ford Escape TI with sony

I'm not the guy to consult on tuning lol.

Still a work in progress here as far as tonality, but close to whitledge curve here at moment.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Phil
    Vehicle
    08 AMG E63

I'd bring levels on mids and tweets up and knock down that bump at 2k to start. What DSP are you working with? Are you tuning by hand (ie: manually adjusting and measuring in REW)? Ideally I typically like a 10-15db range from top to bottom.

I read your post wrong and sorry for that.... if you're tuning to that curve you're not looking too bad other than in the sub freqs. Prob a wide q boost @ 1k and narrow q cut @ 550 and 2k and you'll be right on it.

COMAND NTG 2.0 - Mobridge DA2 > toslink > Helix DSP.2 - NVX JAD 800.4 - Scanspeak R3004 - Scanspeak 10F - NVX JAD 800.4 - Silver Flute W17RC38 - NVX JAD 1200.1 - AE IB10AU

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by forty5cal1911 View Post
    I'd bring levels on mids and tweets up and knock down that bump at 2k to start. What DSP are you working with? Are you tuning by hand (ie: manually adjusting and measuring in REW)? Ideally I typically like a max of 10
    db range from top to bottom.
    Great input. Thanks. My dsp is a Helix.3. I tune with a mic and pink noise and start by using REW auto tune to flatten each driver than adjust in pairs to tune to curve.

Full disclaimer: I am green with the dsp and Mic and REW. Lol. But am slowly learning the art. I LOVE to practice and know I am a long way from my full potential.

Like I say, this curve is one I am learning with, not necessarily settled on. I'm lucky to have some good people willing to start me at the bottom and learn the basics first. Then when my skills and ear are on par, take the world by storm!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Phil
    Vehicle
    08 AMG E63

Sure thing! I would say the JBL/Andy curve is a good place to start. My preference is like Justin's (Jazzi) I like a dip in the 2-2.5k range. If 2k is hot it's going to sound all in your face and harsh as you described when getting loud.

COMAND NTG 2.0 - Mobridge DA2 > toslink > Helix DSP.2 - NVX JAD 800.4 - Scanspeak R3004 - Scanspeak 10F - NVX JAD 800.4 - Silver Flute W17RC38 - NVX JAD 1200.1 - AE IB10AU

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    Its actually one from a friend I have been practicing with. I find it harder to tune to a curve than to tune flat. So this is the one I have had the most trouble with. I have also used Justin Zazzi's curve. It has more of a trough between 1000 and 4000 and sounds great in the truck.

Honestly, this curve sounds AMAZING at moderate levels but a touch harsh at full tilt, so I use it to practice manipulating the curve.

Do you have a curve you prefer?
    That harshness is probably coming from the hump at 2 khz. Personally, I prefer the AudioFrog curve, if you flatten that hump at 2 khz you'll basically have the AudioFrog curve.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    That harshness is probably coming from the hump at 2 khz. Personally, I prefer the AudioFrog curve, if you flatten that hump at 2 khz you'll basically have the AudioFrog curve.
    Audiofrog curve is the first one I started with. I love how fan friendly that company is. Everywhere I go, people rave about the customer service and of course the high quality equipment. Thanks for the reply!