Thread: Bmmpr alarm = Real time alerts to your phone

1. Back To Top    #1

Bmmpr alarm = Real time alerts to your phone

I was a indiegogo backer for this San Diego start up. Received my unit 2 months ago. No too shabby.

I encourage users to look into it. The unit connects directly into the vehicles OBD port.

It detects bumps and disturbances to a parked vehicle and sends an alert within seconds to your phone. Do any other car alarms do this?

Smart way to protect you car audio investment!

https://bmmpr.com/

(There’s a couple YouTube videos demonstrating how it works)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bmmpr alarm = Real time alerts to your phone

This would be huge in the motorcycle market.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
    I was a indiegogo backer for this San Diego start up. Received my unit 2 months ago. No too shabby.

I encourage users to look into it. The unit connects directly into the vehicles OBD port.

It detects bumps and disturbances to a parked vehicle and sends an alert within seconds to your phone. Do any other car alarms do this?

Smart way to protect you car audio investment!

https://bmmpr.com/

(There’s a couple YouTube videos demonstrating how it works)
    Interesting... Tell us if you get some false notifications or app quirks

Kelvin

4. Back To Top    #4

Heads up it’s now available for retail purchase and I’m happy to report that the system works. Been using it since September of 2019. The company has been good about upgrading hardware firmware and updating app software to make a stable and intuitive platform.

Have I been living under a rock or do other alarm systems offer this functionality of direct notifications to your phone?

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi lately, learning Python... and bought a touchscreen and a few cheap cameras to try to make software for a fancy in-car camera switcher/DVR.
    When I get to the finish line, my intent is to buy some also-cheap but outdoor, car-specific cameras to mount all around the car -
    Forward and rear for DVR purposes, rear-firing for blind-spot cameras, side-firing across the bumpers for pulling out of parking spots, etc.

I'm starting to think about also buying a mobile hotspot for my car, since it only adds $10/month data to my plan. My thought was then I could access the cameras remotely. A Raspberry Pi can run for a long time on a USB battery pack like you can buy to charge your phone on the go, and I already have several of those. I'm sure the hotspot would work well that way as well.

So now THIS is making me think of my Arlo home cameras...
    When Arlo detects motion, it sends me a notification. I open the Arlo app, and pull up the cameras live, or pull up the 10 second recording of the motion that it caught.

If I can pull off my camera system, this BMMPR would be another good reason to justify that $10/month data cost.
    In that case, when I got a BMMPR notification, I could pull up my car's cameras live, I could trigger recording. That would be better than an alarm that the world ignores. Peace-of-mind.

Hell, the Raspberry Pi has so many inputs, I was already thinking of including a shock sensor (I have some lying around from old alarm installs) tied to a trigger pin on the Pi, to start the DVR recording if there was a shock detected. I could use another to get an input from the BMMPR, to start recording if it detects a shock. Or, the BMMPR could be "the" shock sensor.
    Interesting.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah, just looked. You have to pay monthly. That's like the DEI remote starter subscriptions.
    That's a no-go, for me personally. I'll pay my $10 for my data connection in the car, and even that is stretching my usual "no subscriptions" policy.

I'd wait a bit - most home security cameras don't charge a subscription fee - certainly a car security system that doesn't EVEN include a security camera feed shouldn't. The security camera companies realized that was the barrier to wide public sales - the car security companies will realize that as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

The company is local to me. I stopped by and spoke to Marko the CEO. Pretty down to earth guy. This is kind of their intro product. No ETA at all but they know what people want and are working on a camera integration version.

1st year is included with the purchase of the bmmpr one and after that it’s $25 a year (not monthly).
    Last edited by Bnlcmbcar; 06-04-2020 at 12:47 PM.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh that's not too bad then. Still a recurring fee, but I definitely prefer annual to monthly charges, and that works out to be pretty small then annually.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's a very interesting presentation video. Actually, it seems to be a very good system for a little money!