Thread: Which CLD to buy

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: Which CLD to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    You have a 27 year old non-luxury car with performance mods and a loud stereo. You are fighting a crazy uphill battle, but I can appreciate what you want to do. I freaking hate buzzes and rattles too.

You seem concerned about weight and also making the best use of your budget. To make sure you're putting attention and materials in all the right places, here is something you can try. Download one of the free signal generator apps (sine wave generator) for your phone and make sure it allows you to gradually sweep through frequencies as if you were twisting a knob, not having to type in the frequency one at a time. Play that in your car stereo at a low/medium volume starting around a few hundred hertz and slowly lower the frequency until you hit 20hz. Then turn up the volume a tiny bit and do it again.

As you sweep the frequency every single rattle and buzz in your car will come to life one at a time. You can sweep the frequency up and down real slow to get it just right, then crawl around the car to find the problem. This is kind of like an acoustic spotlight. Fix the problem with the butyl rope or whatever product you like (Queef has some ideas too), then repeat at least a hundred more times.
    Super cool advice, thanks!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Nick

Not trying to be a salesman, but tbh, it's not even a comparison. I'd bet that 25% coverage of ResoNix squares would maybe be equal if no out perform 100% coverage of noico. I went from noico to ResoNix in my own car. I know the difference first hand. I also have a local customer who did noico in one door and ResoNix in the other. Again, no comparison. Its tee ball vs NY Yankees. I dont care how blunt I sound, but it's too late to try to sugar coat it lol. Hell, I might finally cave and post the resonance test results of sds vs ResoNix

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    i'd also recommend adding in an order for butyl rope which can be used for decoupling/holding things tightly together (e.g. stuffing in between the various separate plastic pieces making up the door card which can buzz against each other)
    This is much more important than one would imagine..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Nick

screw it. They dont exist anymore so this doesnt hurt anybody. Heres the REW file of sds tiles vs ResoNix Squares. Similar rig that 2stub2fail had in his first test. Hybrid Audio L6se as the speaker just like his test, 0.7 cubes on both chambers if i remember correctly. ResoNix Square was cut to the exact same size as a SDS tile (10" x 6"). Both were done on their own, but same piece of metal with the piece placed dead center. Mic measured in the shop about 8 feet from the closest wall and about 5 inches off the ground with sweeps. i'll see if i can find pics on my old phone. Resonant frequency of the metal when secured was about 90hz as you can see. pretty close to a door skin. Im not sure what power levels chris did his tests at, but this was at moderate volume. Nothing crazy, but definitely not weak. look at "All SPL" and "waterfall" tabs. you will need to "generate" the waterfall. Long story short, if going by spl, ResoNix Squares performed twice as good at and around the FS of the panel vs each ones respective subject run with no material applied (SDS was 129.5db down to 122db, ResoNix Square went from 130db to 115.15db. man, ive wanted to post that for a while. cant wait until chris's second round of testing, but i couldnt want any longer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jrl...ew?usp=sharing

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Some reason I can’t open with an iPad. I will try later with a pc.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    You have a 27 year old non-luxury car with performance mods and a loud stereo. You are fighting a crazy uphill battle, but I can appreciate what you want to do. I freaking hate buzzes and rattles too.

You seem concerned about weight and also making the best use of your budget. To make sure you're putting attention and materials in all the right places, here is something you can try. Download one of the free signal generator apps (sine wave generator) for your phone and make sure it allows you to gradually sweep through frequencies as if you were twisting a knob, not having to type in the frequency one at a time. Play that in your car stereo at a low/medium volume starting around a few hundred hertz and slowly lower the frequency until you hit 20hz. Then turn up the volume a tiny bit and do it again.

As you sweep the frequency every single rattle and buzz in your car will come to life one at a time. You can sweep the frequency up and down real slow to get it just right, then crawl around the car to find the problem. This is kind of like an acoustic spotlight. Fix the problem with the butyl rope or whatever product you like (Queef has some ideas too), then repeat at least a hundred more times.
    yeah, I love the car for it's light weight and dynamic abilities. it may be sluggish in a straight line but it can out maneuver or at least keep up with most high dollar sports cars on twisty roads and is an absolute monster on the down hill.

Thank you for the suggestion on using sine sweeps to find the sources of my problems. I have a feeling that using that method is going to generate a vast quantity of useful information for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    screw it. They dont exist anymore so this doesnt hurt anybody. Heres the REW file of sds tiles vs ResoNix Squares. Similar rig that 2stub2fail had in his first test. Hybrid Audio L6se as the speaker just like his test, 0.7 cubes on both chambers if i remember correctly. ResoNix Square was cut to the exact same size as a SDS tile (10" x 6"). Both were done on their own, but same piece of metal with the piece placed dead center. Mic measured in the shop about 8 feet from the closest wall and about 5 inches off the ground with sweeps. i'll see if i can find pics on my old phone. Resonant frequency of the metal when secured was about 90hz as you can see. pretty close to a door skin. Im not sure what power levels chris did his tests at, but this was at moderate volume. Nothing crazy, but definitely not weak. look at "All SPL" and "waterfall" tabs. you will need to "generate" the waterfall. Long story short, if going by spl, ResoNix Squares performed twice as good at and around the FS of the panel vs each ones respective subject run with no material applied (SDS was 129.5db down to 122db, ResoNix Square went from 130db to 115.15db. man, ive wanted to post that for a while. cant wait until chris's second round of testing, but i couldnt want any longer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jrl...ew?usp=sharing
    I was already planning on waiting until I could safely afford the good stuff but this extra bit of info absolutely clenches it for me. Thank you for posting it up

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Nick

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Resonix stuff is pretty amazing....and it still is sticking on my Polaris RZR (for about 8 months now) on the heat shield that is exposed to engine temps (which melted the plastic on the rear cargo area) and the environment (including me power washing and hand washing the rzr).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8427.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	7745
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Nick

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post

Ok, that's pretty impressive....and I don't say that to guys very often.
    Last edited by Smitty; 11-21-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Meh, it'll play.