Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sub or no new sub....

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

New sub or no new sub....

I am trying to decide which route I want to go. I have about 550w rms from my sub amp at 2 or 4 ohms (PDX-V9)

I currently have a 10" JL TW3 in a truckwedge box under my rear seat.

I am thinking about getting another 10" JL TW3. I know this would get me about 3db but would take up more floor space. But I could always remove the second sub if I need the floor space.

Or

I can pick up at 12" TW3 and would gain about 2db from that switch and would keep about the same area taken up as of now.

JL 10 TW3
    Efficiency (1 W / 1 m)** 82.10 dB SPL

JL 12 TW3
    Efficiency (1 W / 1 m)** 84.11 dB SPL

Or maybe all of this isn't even worth the cost and I should just go with what I have. I like it a lot, but was thinking I would like a little more output from my sub stage.

Vehicle is a 2014 f150 crew cab. So shallow mount is what I need to go with.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: New sub or no new sub....

I'd go single 12" for sure if it will take up less space than a pair of 10's. I went from a 10" to a 12" from the same series of sub (Dayton ho) and the difference was night and day in output where I need it down low. I'm sure the results would be similar with the JL shallow sub.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'll agree ^^^ There is often something about the way certain 12" subwoofers can sound that are quite appealing. But on the flip side, there is always something to be said about how a pair of 10" subs can sound too.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

I'd model both in a modeling program (WinISD Pro for me) and make very sure the response will indeed be better. Many shallow subs demand huge boxes to stay out of boomtown Qtc levels. Efficiency specs don't mean much if the response is bloated due to being in a cramped box.

SD3's should fit, I'm seeing boxes with ~5.5" of depth for the truck. Not sure what you have as far as workable depth, but the SD3 remains a favorite for me, as long as you have more than 4.75"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

A 2nd 10" ! Easy call.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

What about an illusion c12 compared to the 12 tw3? For output and sq?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

If you can do 1.25 cu ft , I'd do it !
    2.5 inch voice coil is adequate . DVC 2 or 4 ohm ?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Or the rockford power 12" T1 compared to the above....
    or the alpine SWR-T12

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

The main issue I see is with a second 10 you'll need a more powerful amp. Your one amp is good for a single 10 or 12 TW3. Not for two.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Ya, that is kind of my thought as well. I know I would gain about 3db by adding a second sub on the same power, but then would only have like 275w going to each sub. This is in the "optimal" zone though for JL's tw3 spec page.

I think a 12" shallow is going to be what I try next. My 10" is nearly enough for me, I would just like a little bit more.

I think my choices are going to be in the following order

1) JL 12" TW3
    2) Alpine SWR-T12
    3) Illusion Audio C12 (would be above the alpine except for price)
    4) Rockford Prime 12" T1 Slim (I can get a really good deal on this)
    5) SI BM IV or V (this would be higher but harder to find...but it would match everything else that way....)