Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question for the day....

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2016 Hellcat Challenger

Re: Stupid question for the day....

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Trust me, heating the huge uninsulated 2-car garage with 2-story high ceilings is not an option without spending a significant amount of money. I rent the house, so I'm not going to install any sort of permanent solution and the cost for a temporary solution is way more than I'm willing to spend, especially since I will most likely be moving in the next year or so. I would need a very large heater. The typical single-room kerosene or electric heaters that I do have don't do a damn thing to heat up this garage - I've tried before. :-)

This is not about doing it "right" or not. We're literally talking about the color of the board I mount my equipment to - that's it. Like I said, this install will never be seen by anyone other than me - it is NOT a "look pretty" install. The only reason that I brought it up at all is simply because I happened to have a can of black plastidip here already and was just wondering if it was an option to make the board black or not. Not that big of a deal to worry about ordering carpeting or spending any significant amount of time and/or money just to make the board black instead of natural woodgrain - especially when 80%+ of the board will be covered up with the equipment anyway - not to mention that it will also be installed in the trunk, under a "trap door", where a spare tire would normally go - it's not like anyone else besides me will ever actually see it... And even I won't see it after the install is done. :-)
    I get it. But, even hidden under the trunk floor I think it's worth the time to carpet it...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8220.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	7692

2. Back To Top    #12

Well, as it turns out, I didn't have time to get to it as expected anyway. I have family coming to visit today and tomorrow is football day, so I may not get to it this weekend at all now.

If I do end up waiting to do it until next weekend, do you have any recommendations for the carpeting (Amazon preferred)?

Did you have to use adhesive or did you just pull it tight and use a staple gun on the underside to hold it in place or something like that?

Although, the more that I think about it, I'm just not sure it's worth the time and effort to put carpeting on a board that will never be seen... I'm still up in the air on whether I want to mess with it or not. I may just dip it or paint it black and be done with it. I actually like the way the black particle board looks and I'm just not sure carpeting is really a better surface for mounting amps and a DSP anyway - to me, a hard surface almost seems like a better option for this task.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet...

3. Back To Top    #13

@thedynoguy... the left side bright wrinkled stuff needs some carpet too

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2016 Hellcat Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    @thedynoguy... the left side bright wrinkled stuff needs some carpet too
    I know!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Cool , the kerosene heater I speak of sits horizontally on two runners (about 3' or so long ) and it has a metal cone in it that glows orange and propels air like a jet engine does.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
    I get it. But, even hidden under the trunk floor I think it's worth the time to carpet it...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8220.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	7692
    I'm curious - how to you secure your board to the vehicle?

7. Back To Top    #17
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Look next to Gladen 100.4 amp . I see a screw head ?

8. Back To Top    #18

Yeah, I see two screw heads - just curious what they are connected to underneath the board. :-)

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I think I've convinced myself to just keep the natural wood finish as-is since it's not a "for show" install and will probably never be seen besides anyone other than myself. In the end, I guess it really doesn't matter if the board is wood-finish, black or carpet-finish - especially since most of the finish will be covered by equipment anyway...
    You know that it's going to annoy you, until you finish it properly...
    Do yourself a favor, and get a piece of automotive carpet. Do it right the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Upholstery-Durable-Backed-Automotive/dp/B071SG24KY/ref=lp_15710161_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=15743 75955&sr=1-4

https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-inch-x...loor/119240801
    New Car... Stock Stereo

10. Back To Top    #20
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Cool, I am luckier than you , not wondering if screws are screwed into something. Watching Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders . They appear to be gettin down !