Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question for the day....

1. Back To Top    #1

Stupid question for the day....

So as I prepare to replace my RF DSR-1 DSP with a Helix DSP.3, I need to "re-configure" the board I have my amp and DSR-1 mounted to. SInce I'm going to need to move where the amp is installed and remove the DSR-1 from the board and replace it with the DSP.3, the holes will need to be in different locations, etc (I drill holes in the board where the wires go underneath the board). So... My original board was black particle board (left over from a computer desk that I had torn apart). I no longer have any pieces of that big enough, so I am using a piece of finished wood instead (from an old coffee table) - but the finish isn't in very good shape and I'd rather it be black anyway.

I just happen to have a can of black plastidip laying around. Do you think it would be OK for a Helix DSP.3 and JL Audio amp (class D) to be mounted onto a plasti-dipped board? I'm just not sure if the amp and/or DSP could get too hot and cause issues with the plastidip or not...

Thoughts? Should I just go and get a can of black spray paint instead?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    4Runner

Re: Stupid question for the day....

I mean how rough a finish is it? The plastidip is fairly self leveling so that’s a plus. Idk though. If you run the amp against it and peel some off, it’s going to be a pain in the ass. If it were me I would probably just grab a can of the rustoleum contractors paint. I originally had pods made and didn’t have them finished. I did them in the talon flat black high solids, the fastenal store brand made by rustoleum and it was fine. I assume it’s about the same as the rustoleum.

Either would be fine I would imagine. Though, I’ve never plastidipped wood, I will say that.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    So as I prepare to replace my RF DSR-1 DSP with a Helix DSP.3, I need to "re-configure" the board I have my amp and DSR-1 mounted to. SInce I'm going to need to move where the amp is installed and remove the DSR-1 from the board and replace it with the DSP.3, the holes will need to be in different locations, etc (I drill holes in the board where the wires go underneath the board). So... My original board was black particle board (left over from a computer desk that I had torn apart). I no longer have any pieces of that big enough, so I am using a piece of finished wood instead (from an old coffee table) - but the finish isn't in very good shape and I'd rather it be black anyway.

I just happen to have a can of black plastidip laying around. Do you think it would be OK for a Helix DSP.3 and JL Audio amp (class D) to be mounted onto a plasti-dipped board? I'm just not sure if the amp and/or DSP could get too hot and cause issues with the plastidip or not...

Thoughts? Should I just go and get a can of black spray paint instead?

Thanks.
    PlastiDip can be a little uneven in finish (black some places, nearly medium gray some places), but I'm sure it'll take the heat from a dsp and class d amp just fine. But, if it were me, I'd just use black spray paint.

4. Back To Top    #4

The more that I think about this, I might just leave the regular wood finish. Most of the finish is going to be covered up anyway - not to mention that the board is being installed underneath a "trap door" in the trunk as well - so nobody is ever going to see it anyway (this is definitely NOT a "for show" install!). :-)

Just to give you some idea of what I'm working with... The amp (JL Audio XD600/6v2) will be installed sideways on the right-hand side:

Here is what it currently looks like (the DSP.3 is just big enough that there is no easy way to fit it with the amp installed where it is now):

5. Back To Top    #5
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Polyurethane will protect the wood.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Polyurethane will protect the wood.
    I'm definitely not worried about protecting the wood - it's already in not-so-great shape anyway. Originally, I was more concerned with covering up the poor finish and making it black - but being that so little of it will be visible after I get everything mounted, I'm just not going to worry about it and install it as-is.

Maybe at some later date, I'll go back and replace it with something better-looking, but I doubt it. ;-)

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2016 Hellcat Challenger

dumb question, but why not just cover the original board with dark gray carpet? That'll cover the holes you don't need to use.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
    dumb question, but why not just cover the original board with dark gray carpet? That'll cover the holes you don't need to use.
    Not a dumb question at all... Main reason is that I'm trying to install this yesterday/today and was just trying to use what I had on hand - the fact that the DSP.3 doesn't seem to fit on the existing board never even crossed my mind, so I was a little unprepared for this situation. :-) I would also think that the existing holes could end up being where I need to screw down the equipment after I move it around. But since I already have another board cut and ready (the one in the pics above), the existing holes in the "old" board really aren't the problem now. Just trying to figure out if I should cover the new board with something (black plastidip, which I have on-hand, spray paint which I could go buy at the nearest store or just leave the natural wood finish as-is).

I think I've convinced myself to just keep the natural wood finish as-is since it's not a "for show" install and will probably never be seen besides anyone other than myself. In the end, I guess it really doesn't matter if the board is wood-finish, black or carpet-finish - especially since most of the finish will be covered by equipment anyway...

I just want to get this thing installed before it gets too damn cold out. I have a garage, but it's not heated...

9. Back To Top    #9
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Electric resistance heater or milkhouse heaters , kerosene heater , radiant heater (electric), there are ways to keep warm. A cardboard box (washer/dryer/refrigerator) may be used to dry treated wood. A hairdryer blowing into it will elevate the temperature.
    I have found that there is never time to do it right, but, there is always time to do it over and over and over. . .

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Electric resistance heater or milkhouse heaters , kerosene heater , radiant heater (electric), there are ways to keep warm. A cardboard box (washer/dryer/refrigerator) may be used to dry treated wood. A hairdryer blowing into it will elevate the temperature.
    I have found that there is never time to do it right, but, there is always time to do it over and over and over. . .
    Trust me, heating the huge uninsulated 2-car garage with 2-story high ceilings is not an option without spending a significant amount of money. I rent the house, so I'm not going to install any sort of permanent solution and the cost for a temporary solution is way more than I'm willing to spend, especially since I will most likely be moving in the next year or so. I would need a very large heater. The typical single-room kerosene or electric heaters that I do have don't do a damn thing to heat up this garage - I've tried before. :-)

This is not about doing it "right" or not. We're literally talking about the color of the board I mount my equipment to - that's it. Like I said, this install will never be seen by anyone other than me - it is NOT a "look pretty" install. The only reason that I brought it up at all is simply because I happened to have a can of black plastidip here already and was just wondering if it was an option to make the board black or not. Not that big of a deal to worry about ordering carpeting or spending any significant amount of time and/or money just to make the board black instead of natural woodgrain - especially when 80%+ of the board will be covered up with the equipment anyway - not to mention that it will also be installed in the trunk, under a "trap door", where a spare tire would normally go - it's not like anyone else besides me will ever actually see it... And even I won't see it after the install is done. :-)